How we score car insurance
Comparing car insurance isn't easy, so we've rated the features that matter and asked customers about service from their provider. Here's how we do it, and pick the best.
Our team of researchers give each comprehensive policy an overall rating out of five stars (rounding each one up or down to the nearest half star).
- Car insurance policies we analyse: 33
- Features analysed for each one: 29
What factors do we take into account?
We base our ratings on three main factors:
- Range of features included. Is a courtesy car covered as standard? Is your no-claims discount protected in the unfortunate event of a claim? Are you able to pay monthly, and does it cost extra to do that? We look at all this, and more.
- Level of cover. With any car insurance policy, it’s important to understand the level of cover you’re entitled to in the unfortunate event of a claim. We look at these cover limits in detail across a wide range of specific criteria.
- Customer satisfaction and service. How likely are customers to recommend the provider to a friend? How easy is it to manage your policy online? Are claims lines open 24/7? These are the types of questions we’ve looked into in great detail.
Shouldn’t the cost of car insurance be a factor?
There’s no getting around the fact that cost can play a big role in choosing your car insurance. However, there’s also a number of other factors that come into play when deciding which provider is the “best”.
With our policy ratings, we’ve removed cost from the equation and taken a more holistic approach to car insurance and focused more on the quality of service, the level of cover and specific policy inclusions and exclusions.
How do we decide which features are more important?
Each factor in our scoring methodology is weighted.
Our experts base this on user and market research to ensure it reflects what’s important to you.
For instance, whether the car insurance provider has windscreen cover included as standard is less important than whether or not it’s extremely difficult to make a claim in your time of need.
How do we choose our “best” car insurance providers?
Finder top picks highlight providers that our analysis shows are the best fit for specific categories and are displayed across our car insurance content. Be sure to consider your own personal objectives, needs and circumstances before making a decision using our top picks.
We chose these from the providers on our site, using the methodology below:
What are we looking for in our “best for” categories?
Our customer satisfaction survey
In December 2019, Finder conducted an independent customer satisfaction survey about insurance providers. We asked 750 customers about whether they were happy with their current insurer, then turned their answers into a rating of between one and five stars.
Customer satisfaction ratings methodology
We asked participants how satisfied they were with their insurance company on a scale of one to five, and whether they would recommend their insurer to a friend.
To turn the answers into the scores you see on the page, we used the following method:
- How many people would recommend the company versus how many people wouldn’t. If you would go as far as recommending a company to a friend, it must mean you think it’s really good. That’s why this counts as 50% of our customer satisfaction star rating.
- The proportion of people who rated an insurer five out of five. Five out of five is a real vote of confidence! This counts for 25% of our customer satisfaction star rating.
- The average score each insurance company got. This told us whether the insurer’s service levels match its ratings, or if it’s actually not that great. This score forms the last 25% of our customer satisfaction star rating.
All of those things combined made the final customer satisfaction score, which was then rounded up to the nearest half point to give the following ratings:
★★★★★ – Excellent
★★★★★ – Good
★★★★★ – Average
★★★★★ – Subpar
★★★★★ – Poor
Does Finder compare all car insurance providers in the market?
We already list most of the UK’s popular and well-regarded car insurance providers and we’re adding more all the time.
We’d love to hear from you if there’s a provider you’d like to see us review and score.
Cheapest car insurance
To help you find the cheapest car insurance provider, our team have analysed a number of provider policy quotes across a range of different categories. We use this analysis to formulate our table data that you may see across the website.
Cheapest provider overall
To find the cheapest overall, we ran the same driver and vehicle profile over 3 different locations a number of times through provider quote engines and took a final average. With our driver and vehicle profile, we’ve tried to be representative of an individual in the UK with moderate driving experience, and moderate mileage and an average socioeconomic background.
In terms of locations, we’ve taken into account three different post codes with varying average costs across the UK. Our research suggests SE1 is one of the most expensive locations, NE1 represents an average cost location and TD1 represents one of the cheapest locations. Updated: Oct 2019 (source: Quotezone)
More guides on Finder
How to renew your car insurance
We explain how car insurance renewal works, and how to keep your annual renewal premiums as low as possible.
Compulsory vs voluntary excess
We explain the different types of car insurance excess, and how adjusting your voluntary excess can affect your premium.
Cat S insurance
Learn how to find insurance for your Cat S write-off, average cost and whether you can keep your category S car.
Finder Insurance Customer Satisfaction Awards 2020
Looking for insurance or thinking of changing providers? Here’s what customers had to say about some of the UK’s top insurers.
How to save by adding kids to parent’s car insurance
Learn more about how parents’ can save their children money on car insurance by putting them as a named driver.
International car insurance
Our guide to international car insurance. Find out how to get covered and what documents you’ll need for your trip.
UK car insurance statistics: Average cost and number of claims
We unpack all the latest UK car insurance statistics, including the average cost and the number of claims made per year.
Car insurance exclusions
Find out what car insurance won’t cover so you can avoid any nasty surprises at claim time.
High-risk car insurance
Find out how to get car insurance as a high-risk driver and what options are available. Steps to reduce your premium as a high-risk driver.
Get agreed value car insurance quotes online
Find out how agreed value car insurance works and if it’s the right option for you.