Hairdresser insurance

Whether you have your own salon, rent a chair or run a mobile service, find out what type of hairdresser insurance you need and what's included in the cover.


Fact checked

Hairdresser insurance by monthly subscription

  • Over 1,000 different business types covered
  • Customise cover to meet your needs
  • Add, remove or cancel cover at any time
Get a quote
Powered by

What is hairdresser insurance?

Hairdresser insurance is business insurance tailored to the needs of hairdressers.

Specifications will vary by policy, but cover will usually include professional indemnity, public liability and insurance for equipment.

What insurance does a hairdresser need?

The type of cover you need will depend on how you run your hairdressing business.

One type of cover that all hairdressers are likely to need is professional indemnity insurance. This protects you from potential malpractice action against you by a client (whether you were at fault or not). You’d also want to consider taking out product liability cover, which helps out with legal costs and compensation payments in case a product you use or sell causes harm to a client. Note that you don’t need to have made the product to be liable for damages.

Hairdressers who rent a chair in an existing salon are likely to just need the above cover, plus cover for business equipment if you use your own. Mobile hairdressers will definitely need cover for equipment and should make sure it includes transit cover.

If you own your own salon, you should look at taking out business buildings and contents insurance. If you employ staff, you are legally required to take out employers’ liability cover. Public liability cover is not a legal requirement, but can also be a good idea, as it protects you in case a member of the public is harmed or their property is damaged due to actions relating to your business.

If you run your salon from home, be aware that your regular home insurance is unlikely to cover anything to do with your business, so consider taking out business contents insurance.

Note that if you offer beauty treatments as well as hairdressing, you’d want to look at hair and beauty insurance.

Why do hairdressers need insurance?

Hairdressers work very closely with clients and their actions have a direct effect on clients’ wellbeing, both emotional and physical.

You can be the most skilled hairdresser, but accidents and misunderstandings can happen, and can result in action against you.

Additionally, some things, like accidents in your salon or accidental damage to your equipment, are out of your control.

What does hairdresser insurance cover?

Specifications will vary by insurer and depend on the type of policy you choose to suit the needs of your business, but hairdresser insurance cover can include the following:

  • Professional indemnity insurance. Indemnity insurance is extremely important to hairdressers, as you’re using sharp tools and extreme heat, and accidents can happen (even to the most skilled hairdresser). Additionally, it’s possible to have misunderstandings with clients resulting in them being unhappy with their haircut. Indemnity claims can run to millions of pounds, so protecting yourself is paramount.
  • Public liability insurance. Whether you have your own salon or not, public liability cover protects you in case a member of the public is injured or their property is damaged and your business is responsible. For example, if someone trips over some of your equipment or is injured in your salon space.
  • Product liability insurance. Product liability insurance protects you in case one of the products you use (like shampoo, conditioner and hair dye) causes harm to a customer. This also includes products you sell in your salon. Even if you didn’t manufacture the product, you might still be liable for any damage it causes.
  • Equipment insurance. Hairdressers can have a lot of expensive tools of the trade. This type of cover protects these items against damage, loss and theft. If you run a mobile hairdressing service, you’d want to take out a policy that covers your equipment while in transit and away from your salon or home.
  • Employers’ liability insurance. If you employ staff, you are legally required to take out employers’ liability insurance, to protect both your employees and yourself against legal action. If your staff are freelancers, this might not apply to you, but it’s best to check with your insurance company to make sure.

Other types of cover you might wish to take out include:

  • Van cover. If you run a mobile hairdressing service, you might choose to drive a van to your clients. If this is the case, you’d want to take out van insurance. This type of policy often includes cover for equipment, as well as other benefits found in regular car insurance. It’s important to note that most car insurance policies don’t include business use, so it’s worth checking the details of your policy if you use your car for work purposes.
  • Legal expenses. While liability compensation payouts can run into millions of pounds, other costs involved in a court case can also be a serious burden. Legal expenses cover can help you in case action is taken against you.
  • Personal accident. Your wellbeing matters too. This type of insurance covers you in case you suffer an injury that means you cannot work.
  • Contents insurance. If you have your own hairdressing salon, business contents insurance can cover things like furniture and equipment against a list of insured incidents (like flood and fire damage), as well as help to replace other contents and your employees’ personal belongings if they’re damaged, lost or stolen. If you offer hairdressing sessions in your home, note that your home insurance is unlikely to cover you for this. You can find out more in our guide to working from home insurance.

Common claims examples

  • Allergic reaction. It is recommended to always run a patch test on clients when dying their hair with products they’ve not used before. You may be very aware of this fact, but you might have a younger employee that forgets to do this and the client gets a reaction to the product. Having professional indemnity insurance in place can help you with any compensation payments you might have to pay to the client, as well as your legal costs.
  • Accidents in your salon. Whether you run your salon from home or have dedicated premises, accidents can happen. For example, a client brings their child to the appointment with them and the child runs around and is injured by a piece of equipment in the salon. Public liability cover can help you with legal expenses and compensation payments in case action is taken against you by the client.
  • Fire damage. No one wants to think about this sort of thing happening, but fires can sometimes start in a building or spread from others in the immediate area. Should this happen in your salon, business contents insurance covers the damage and helps you bring clients back as soon as possible. Note that if your salon is in your house, your standard buildings and contents insurance is unlikely to cover damage to items relating to your business.

Frequently asked questions

The offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of products we can track; we don't cover every product on the market...yet. Unless we've indicated otherwise, products are shown in no particular order or ranking. The terms "best", "top", "cheap" (and variations), aren't product ratings, although we always explain what's great about a product when we highlight it; this is subject to our terms of use. When making a big financial decision, it's wise to consider getting independent financial advice, and always consider your own financial circumstances when comparing products so you get what's right for you.

More guides on Finder

Go to site