If you’re after something perfect, then look no further – we’ve compiled a list of timeless gifts worthy of the occasion.
What is a silver anniversary?
A silver anniversary celebrates 25 years of marriage and harks back to the Holy Roman Empire when adoring husbands would crown their wives with a silver wreath. These days, we’re more likely to mark the occasion with a gift.
While every marriage anniversary is special, 25 years of being in love with the same person is truly something to celebrate. And as tradition has it, silver is the most common and symbolic gift of choice.
Our top gift ideas for a 25th wedding anniversary
What to keep in mind when selecting a 25th wedding anniversary gift
When it comes to selecting a 25th wedding anniversary gift, the pressure of finding something ‘just right’ can feel a bit daunting. To help you master it, here are a few tips and ideas to consider.
- Put some thought into your gift
When you’re looking for a gift, do a bit of research by paying attention to the gift recipient’s style and tastes. Think about what they say they like and what their interests are and you’ll be able to purchase something perfect with ease.
- Pay attention to their lifestyle
If the recipient of your gift likes to entertain, then a set of tumblers, crystal wine glasses or plates could be perfect for them. You could even consider gifting a gourmet food hamper or a bottle of champagne.
- Give a marriage memento
Mementos are perfect for anniversaries as they’re a good way to wish a couple good fortune and prosperity. For this you could consider symbolic home decor, like a beautiful silver picture frame or a freestanding ornament.
- Give a gift that the person can wear
From jewellery, to slippers and robes, if you are confident that you really know the person’s preferences and style, then giving them something they can wear is a great idea. Personalise your gifts to make them even more special – for example, you can engrave jewellery, lockets, and cufflinks with initials or marriage dates.
- Give an anniversary gift that’s useful
Giving a gift that takes up space and won’t be used can be a disaster. If the person or couple you’re gifting to takes a minimalist approach to life, then an ornament might not be a great idea. In these circumstances, things like food, wine, cutlery, subscription boxes and even plants are a great idea.
If your husband has been complaining about the steak knives being blunt, then a new set, while not the most romantic gift, could be a beautiful gesture. At the very least, it shows that you have been listening to him.
At the end of the day, just remember that meaningful gifts always make the best gifts and they’re the best way to show that you care.
Ideas for celebrating a 25th wedding anniversary
- Throw a party – whether it’s a cocktail party, a grand celebration or an intimate dinner party – there’s no better excuse to get your favourite people together all in one room.
- Go out for a lovely dinner – find a special restaurant, either one that is significant to your relationship or one that you’ve been meaning to try.
- Go on a holiday or weekend break – find a great travel deal and whisk your significant other, and perhaps some of your family away on a fun-filled holiday to a destination of your choice.
- Renew your vows – 25 years of marriage is something to be celebrated so why not renew your vows either in private or in front of your nearest and dearest?
- Have a joint party – If your anniversary is within a close enough date range with another couple or even your parents, then why not have a joint celebration?
Do you need to give a gift for a 25th wedding anniversary?
The short answer is no. While you don’t ever have to give a gift, it can be in extremely poor taste not to. If you are invited to a 25th wedding anniversary celebration, you should assume that a gift is expected.
Unless an invitation explicitly says “no gifts” then always assume that a gift is required – if “no gifts” has been stated, then at the very least, giving a card would be seen as a lovely and thoughtful gesture.
Our top gift deals and discounts for October 2021