U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards review
A flexible rewards card for small businesses with no annual fees.
- Get this card if you’re a small business with varied spending needs.
- Pick something else if you’re looking for no foreign transaction fees or a low APR.
- Apply for this card with an excellent credit score of 740 or higher.
Points as welcome offer
Up to 3x
Intro purchase APR
for the first 9 billing cycles (then 11.99% to 22.99% variable)
|Welcome offer||20,000 points after spending $1,000 in eligible purchases in the first 90 days|
|Rewards||3x points in a chosen category and 1x points on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 9 billing cycles (then 11.99% to 22.99% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||11.99% to 22.99% variable|
|Minimum Credit Score||740|
Megan Horner is the credit cards publisher at Finder. She's passionate about helping you find the best credit cards to meet your financial needs — whether that's earning great rewards or improving your credit score. Megan's expertise has been spotlighted on Lifehacker, CreditCards.com, American Banker and featured on news broadcasts across the country.
If you like flexibility and a card tailored to your business’s needs, U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards is worth considering. It offers 3x points on purchases in the available category of your choice, a 20,000-point signup bonus, a $0 annual fee and a 0% intro purchase APR for your first 9 billing cycles.
As its name suggests, you select a rewards category that’s most attractive to your business, earning accelerated points in that category in addition to a flat rate on all purchases. This offers a great amount of flexibility to spend in the areas your business needs most. Plus, you’ll enjoy free employee cards and protections against fraud.
Owners of large businesses or big spenders, might want to compare cards with higher value on greater spending. But for small or growing businesses, the U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards‘s flexibility and business perks could make for a great choice.
How to apply for the U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards
- Go to the provider's site and click Apply now.
- Complete the application with the requested personal and business details.
- Review and submit your application.
What credit score do I need?
Generally, business rewards cards require a good to excellent credit score. You’ll have a better chance of approval with an excellent credit score of 740 or higher.
- Earn 3x points on a category of your choice. No businesses have the same needs, so this card maximizes rewards in a category that fits your spending — day-to-day expenses, automotive or travel and entertainment — with no limits on rewards. Earn 1 point for every dollar you spend outside your selected category.
- Take advantage of a 20,000-point signup bonus. Spend just $1,000 on purchases in the first 90 days your account is open to earn 20,000 bonus points.
- Get an intro APR on purchases for your first 9 billing cycles. If you’re planning a large purchase, use your new card to enjoy a 0% intro APR on purchases for the first 9 billing cycles. After that, you’re charged a variable APR of 22.99% to 22.99%.
- $0 annual fee. You won’t pay an annual fee for the life of the card.
- Free employee cards. Add employees to your account at no extra fee and earn rewards across all cards.
- Business protection. You’re protected against unauthorized purchases with zero fraud liability and 24/7 fraud monitoring.
- Redeem rewards for cash back. Redeem points for cash, travel, gift cards and merchandise at variable point values.
Which categories offer 3x points?
The U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards offers three categories to match your business’s needs:
- Everyday expenses. Rack up points on shipping, advertising, utilities, office supplies, telecom and professional services.
- Automotive. Includes gas, service, tires, tolls, dealerships, car washes and repairs.
- Travel and entertainment. Earn points on airfare, auto rentals, hotel stays, restaurants and travel agencies.
What to watch out for
- No intro APR on balance transfers. The card extends an intro APR on purchases only. If you’re looking to transfer balances to pay down existing debt at a lower rate, this might not be the card for you.
- High penalty and cash advance APR. Late payments can result in an indefinite revert rate of up to 29.99% APR. And you’ll pay 23.99% variable APR on cash advances from the date of your transaction.
- Foreign transaction fees. If you travel abroad often, you may want to leave this card at home. Otherwise, you’ll pay 2% for purchases made using US dollars and 3% for purchases in foreign currency.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for a U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards, you must be a US citizen who’s at least 18 years old or age of majority in your state. To open a credit card, you must also live in a state where a U.S. Bank is located.
Required documents and information
- Tax ID and the date your business was founded.
- Business’s address and phone number.
- Names of people with at least 25% business ownership.
- Your gross annual sales and expected monthly cash and international transactions.
- Your personal contact and financial information, including your household income, sources of income and housing status.
- Your Social Security number and date of birth.
Compare business credit cards
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
What size business is the U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards good for?
This card may be best for business owners looking to earn easy rewards on everyday purchases without having to pay an annual fee.
It’s unusual for business rewards cards to offer points for car washes and repairs, which might help if your business supports a fleet of vehicles.
U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards reviews and complaints
Of the 302 customer reviews with the Better Business Bureau as of this writing, an overwhelming 98% are negative. But few directly relate to U.S. Bank’s credit card products. Those that do cite unexpected credit limit decreases, confusion over payment deadlines and poor customer service.
Although accredited with the Better Business Bureau, U.S. Bank earns an A+ from the BBB as of September 2021 based on its years in business and responsiveness to customers, among other internal criteria.
I got the card. Now what?
- Manage employee spending. Set limits for each employee as to when, where and how much they can use their card.
- Pay on time. To avoid high late payment fees and penalties, consider signing up for autopay through your online account.
- Avoid unnecessary interest. Pay your card in full within the statement’s grace period to avoid paying interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. Late payments come with fees of up to $39, returned payments are $35 and going over your credit limit is $39.
- Get help. Contact U.S. Bank through a dedicated hotline and online or visit a branch in person.
If you’re a small business owner looking for a rewards card with no annual fee, take a look at U.S. Bank Business Select Rewards. It’s not the strongest rewards card out there, but you can choose from among three categories of spending to earn 3x points on your purchases, including an automotive category that includes gas, dealerships, car washes and more.
You’ll also earn a bonus 20,000 miles by spending $1,000 — an easily attainable goal.
But if you don’t think this card fits in your business financial situation, compare other business credit cards until you find the right card.
Frequently asked questions
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.