Truly Simple® Credit Card review
A simple, no-annual-fee card with a long intro APR period on balance transfers and purchases.
- Get this card if you want an intro APR period and a low APR after that.
- Pick something else if you prefer cashback rewards.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Intro purchase APR
for the first 15 billing cycles (then 14.24% to 25.24% variable)
Intro balance transfer
for the first 15 billing cycles (then 14.24% to 25.24% variable)
14.24% to 25.24%
Balance transfer APR (variable)
|Product Name||Truly Simple® Credit Card|
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 15 billing cycles (then 14.24% to 25.24% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||0% intro for the first 15 billing cycles (then 14.24% to 25.24% variable)|
|Balance transfer fee||$5 or 4% of the transaction, whichever is greater|
|Cash advance rate||27.24% variable|
|Cash advance fee||$5 or 4% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Foreign transaction fee||3% of the transaction value|
|Interest free period||Up to 23 days|
|Late payment fee||Up to $38|
|Additional cardholder fee||$0|
Kevin Joey Chen is a credit cards, banking and investments writer whose work and analysis have appeared on CNN, U.S. News & World Report, Business.com, Lifehacker and CreditCards.com. He's passionate about helping you get your finances in order by expertly navigating cutting-edge financial tools — including credit cards, apps and budgeting software.
The Truly Simple® Credit Card from Fifth Third Bank could be a good pick if you want a no-annual-fee card with a strong promotional interest rate.
You won’t find any rewards and there’s no signup bonus, but it does have one of the lowest APRs after the intro period passes, especially if you have a great credit history.
How to apply for the Truly Simple® Credit Card
- Go to the Fifth Third Bank website and find the Truly Simple® Credit Card from the list of cards. Click Apply now.
- Complete the application form with your personal details.
- Review and submit your application.
How long will it take to get my Truly Simple® Credit Card?
Due to automated preapproval, you’ll likely get a decision within a minute. In the event that more information is needed, Fifth Third Bank will send an answer within 30 days. Upon approval, you should receive your card in the mail within 7 to 10 business days.
In which states does Fifth Third Bank operate?
The bank has more than 1,200 locations across 10 states:
- North Carolina
- West Virginia
- Intro APR period. Enjoy a long 0% intro APR period on balance transfers and purchases for the first 15 billing cycles following your account opening. After that, your rate reverts to a 14.24% to 25.24% variable. This is one of the longest intro APR periods you can get when compared to other cards.
- No annual fee. The card comes with no annual fee, so it’ll cost nothing to own.
You’ll also like…
- Cell phone protection. When you pay your wireless bill with your card, you’ll qualify for Fifth Third Bank Cell Phone Protection. This covers costs if your phone is damaged or stolen for up to $200. The first two additional phones on your wireless phone bill are also covered. The Cell Phone Protection plan comes with a $50 deductible per claim.
- No penalty APR. This is one of the rare cards without a penalty APR. Other cards have a penalty APR of up to 30%, which applies as soon as you make a single late or returned payment. What’s worse is that you can be stuck with these penalty APRs indefinitely.
- Shopping benefits. Receive a partial reimbursement if you find a lower price on an item you purchased with your card. Also, get extended warranties for eligible items.
- Mastercard travel benefits. Receive special offers like private event invitations and tickets to exclusive events with Priceless® Cities. Also, get airport concierge to help you pass through immigration quicker, assist you with baggage and more.
- Digital wallets. The card supports Fifth Third Masterpass, Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, Google Pay and Microsoft Wallet to help you pay faster.
Compare balance transfer credit cards
What to watch out for
- No signup bonus. Most credit cards offer a signup bonus when you meet certain criteria. Unfortunately, this card doesn’t have one.
- Potentially high APR. The card’s APR spans from 14.24% to 25.24% variable. If you have a weaker credit history, you may be approved for an interest rate at the higher end of that range. With APRs averaging around 16%, 25.24% is high.
- Foreign transaction fees. For each transaction you make abroad, you’ll pay 3%. This may not seem like much, but it can add up quickly over a trip spanning several days.
How does a balance transfer work with this card?
You get a 0% intro APR period on balance transfers for the first 15 billing cycles following your account opening. If you still have a balance after that, your account will accrue interest at an APR of 14.24% to 25.24% variable.
For each transfer you make, you’ll pay a fee of either $5 or 4% of the transaction, whichever is greater. This means a balance transfer of $3,000 will cost you $120.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the card, you must be at least 18 years old and a citizen or permanent resident of the US.
During your application process, you’ll need to provide:
- Your full name and contact information.
- Your residential status.
- Your annual income and employment information.
- Your Social Security number.
- A valid driver’s license or state ID.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of approval for this card if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher. Of course, a higher credit score and lower credit utilization will get you a lower APR and a higher credit limit.
Truly Simple® Credit Card reviews and complaints
The Better Business Bureau rates the Fifth Third Bank with an A+, and it accredited the bank back in 1928.
Most card users claim they are happy with the credit line they received, and those who got an APR in the lower range are thrilled they applied for the card.
I got the card. Now what?
- Download the Fifth Third Mobile Banking app. Use it to transfer money and pay your bills, track your transactions, find an ATM and more.
- Avoid interest. Your grace period is 23 days after the close of each billing cycle. Pay your balance by then to avoid paying interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. Late payments come with fees of up to $38. Balance transfers, cash advances and foreign transactions also come with fees.
- Customer service. Call Fifth Third Bank support at 800-972-3030 for any questions you may have.
This is a card with no annual fee and with a long intro APR period on purchases and balance transfers. If that’s what you’re looking for, you could be happy with this card.