Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure

Compare trike insurance

Make sure your ride on three wheels has the right coverage, whether it’s factory-built or a conversion.

Compare and save on motorcycle insurance

Enter your ZIP code to see insurers near you.

Your information is secure.

A three-wheeled motorcycle has unique needs that depend on how the trike was manufactured. Insurance coverage depends on if it’s factory-built, or if it’s been converted from a two-wheeled motorcycle. Compare coverage to determine how much you should pay for insurance.

What kind of trike coverage do I need?

When it comes to insurance, trikes are in the same class as motorcycles. Most states require at least liability, and other common types of coverage include:

  • Liability. When you’re at fault, liability covers the cost of damage or injury to the other driver. This is typically required for all roadworthy vehicles.
  • Collision. Get collision if you ride in busy areas or want to protect your trike in a crash.
  • Comprehensive. Takes care of damage caused by something other than a collision, like theft, fire or vandalism. Consider this if you don’t park your bike in a garage.
  • Uninsured or underinsured. If you’re involved in a collision with a driver who doesn’t have enough insurance to cover the cost of damages to your trike, this coverage will make sure you’re protected. This is often a good idea for new or pricey trikes.
  • Medical payments. Covers the cost of medical care you might need if you’re in an accident. This is especially important for motorcycles and riders who often ride with passengers, since motorcycle injuries tend to be more common and more serious.

What trike add-on coverage should I consider?

Most trikes require the same coverage as a motorcycle, but find out what additional coverage you need.

  • Accessories and custom parts. Many trikes are built with a conversion kit. Accessories and custom parts coverage is essential if you want to cover a motorcycle-to-trike conversion. Many specialist motorcycle insurers offer up to $3,000 in custom equipment coverage.
  • Carried contents and personal belongings. If the items you carry on your trike are damaged, lost or stolen, you’ll be covered for replacements.
  • Roadside assistance. Get help if you break down on the side of the road and need a tow.

Compare motorcycle insurance companies

1 - 2 of 2
Name Product Roadside assistance Accident forgiveness Available states
USAA motorcycle insurance
Yes (after 5 years of loyalty)
All 50 states
USAA salutes military members and their families with membership savings, safety rewards and convenient bundling.
Liberty Mutual motorcycle insurance
All 50 states
Enjoy unique perks along with your wide bike coverage, like free accident forgiveness after going claims-free with any insurer.

Compare up to 4 providers

Do different kinds of trikes have different insurance requirements?

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration treats all these three-wheeled rides the same as motorcycles when it comes to coverage. Depending on how your trike is built will determine if you need specific coverage. Variations include:

  • Conversions. Many trikes on the road today have been built by modifying a traditional motorcycle with a conversion kit. Trikes built with a conversion kit might need extra coverage to cover the custom parts and accessories.
  • Factory-built. Some trikes, especially Harley Davidson models, are built by manufacturers. For these trikes you might need OEM (original equipment manufacturer) parts coverage.
  • Reverse trike. A reverse trike has two wheels in the front and one in the back, as opposed to standard trikes, which have one in the front and two in the back.
  • Autocycle. An autocycle can have some of the same features as a car, like a steering wheel or an enclosed cabin. Although the NHTSA considers autocycles to be in the same category as trikes, laws regarding this type of trike can vary by state.

How can I get cheap trike insurance?

When insuring a trike, you can expect to pay anywhere from $39 a month for only liability for a 2019 Honda GL 1800 conversion trike, to $73 a month for liability, collision and comprehensive coverage. A factory-built 2019 Harley Tri Glide will cost about the same.

However, the cost to insure a trike can vary depending on many factors, including the kind of trike your drive, your riding habits and where you live. To keep the cost of insurance down, consider the following tips:

  • Safety course. Most providers offer a discount for completing an approved motorcycle safety course.
  • Stolen vehicle recovery system. Installing a recovery system like LoJack could get you a discount to protect you from theft.
  • Motorcycle endorsement. Adding a motorcycle endorsement to your driver’s license could earn you a discount. It’s also required to operate a trike in many states. You can get this endorsement by passing a rider course approved by your local DMV.
  • Rider membership. Depending on the provider, membership in select motorcycle organizations can get riders a discount.

How do I get trike insurance?

Getting insurance for your trike is similar to getting insurance for a motorcycle or a car. Most big-name providers will allow you to get a quote, apply and sign up online. Before applying, have the following info ready:

  • Driver’s license number
  • Years of motorcycle driving experience
  • Trike make, model, year, cc’s and VIN
  • Cost of the conversion kit and labor if yours is not a factory-built trike

Bottom line

If you’ve converted your motorcycle to a trike or you’re riding a factory-built trike, you need the right coverage to make sure you’re protected. Comparing all of your options is the best way to get the right policy at the right price.

Frequently asked questions about trike insurance

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
Go to site