Review: Travelex Foreign Currency Exchange
Plan ahead for your next trip overseas and have your foreign currency needs taken care of before you arrive at your destination.
Preparing for an international trip can be stressful enough without having to worry about how you’re going to get the foreign currency you need. That’s why Travelex’s online and in-store foreign currency exchange service is indispensable. With thousands of locations in 28 countries, including key airports and tourist destinations, Travelex can take care of your foreign currency exchange needs. Order from over 50 international currencies online and have the funds delivered to your house or collect them at a Travelex store. You can even sell your leftover foreign currency back to Travelex when you return from your trip.
Fastest Transfer Speed
Minimum Transfer Amount
Get your foreign currency before you leave the US
Travelex makes it easy to obtain the foreign currency you need before you head out on your overseas trip. Select the foreign currency you need online and choose to have it delivered to your home or pick it up at one of Travelex’s many locations. You can even sell back any leftover foreign currency when you return from your trip.
Not a fan of carrying around cash? With a pre-paid Mastercard Travelex Money Card, you can load it with up to 6 different currencies. Enjoy the benefit of no international ATM fee, and rest assured that your funds are secure with a chip and PIN protected card.
- Get your foreign currency delivered to your home before you leave for your trip.
- Sell back any remaining currency when you conclude your trip.
How much does it cost to exchange currency with Travelex?
No fees for pickup
Travelex does not charge a fee for their currency exchange service. Although, you will be charged a delivery fee if you choose to have the funds delivered to your home. However, Travelex waives that fee if you are purchasing $1,000 or more in foreign currency. Or you can pick up your money at one of their stores in order to avoid the delivery fee if you are purchasing less than $1,000.
Excellent exchange rates
Travelex offers competative exchange rates. In fact, they promise to give you the lowest online price for foreign currency in the US.
With Travelex’s Online Price Promise, if you find a lower price they will match it.
Pros and cons of using Travelex
- Delivery options. Choose to have your foreign currency delivered to you or pick it up in one of their stores.
- Sell back. Sell back leftover currency when you return from your trip.
- Denominations. You cannot choose the denominations you would like to receive.
How does Travelex compare to other services?
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
How does Travelex currency exchange work?
Exchange your money online in three simple steps:
- Choose your currency. Select the amount and type of currency you need, then select whether you’d like to purchase cash or a pre-paid card. You’ll then be provided an exchange rate. Please note that if you choose to purchase the foreign currency in a Travelex store, you will incur a less favorable exchange rate.
- Choose your pickup option. Pick up your money once you reach your destination, in your home city or have it delivered to your home. Choose from one of Travelex’s city stores or airport stores or get it delivered right to your front door. Purchases of $1,000 or more get free next day delivery. Delivery charges apply for exchanges under $1,000.
- Pay. Make your payment online with a debit or credit card. The minimum amount is $50. You cannot use cash to make an exchange. When paying, you’ll be required to provide your contact info, credit card info and personal info.
Sell your currency
Back home from your overseas trip with leftover foreign currency? Travelex offers two options for converting your foreign currency back into US dollars.
- Print up a downloadable form and fill it out. Mail it in with your foreign currency, and Travelex will mail back a check based on the curent exchange rates.
- Stop by one of Travelex’s stores to exchange your currency. They recommend calling ahead to make sure that particular store buys the currency you have.
Travelex is a solid option for getting the foreign currency you need for your overseas trip. Pick it up at one of their many locations or have it delivered to your home. You can even sell back any leftover currency when you return from your trip.