Travelers renters insurance review
Pack your policy with coverage backed by over 160 years of experience.
- Get a quote if you’ll take advantage of the many add-ons.
- Pick something else if you find better discounts or customer service elsewhere.
- Many renters can apply.
All 50 states
- Top industry choice
- Loads of experience
- Local agents
- Belongings protected away from home
- No need to inventory or appraise valuables
- Low customer ratings
- Annual payment required if applying online
- Not the deepest discounts
|New home discount discount||No|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||Yes|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||Yes|
|Other discounts||Paying bill on time.|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||Yes|
Sarah George is a staff writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Travelers offers a surprising variety of coverage for a renters policy with many add-ons to choose from. Its deep industry experience and top status in the market add to the company’s credibility, and you can even reach out to a local agent for personalized service. However, the company’s reviews and subpar J.D. Power rating could cause concern if you’re looking for the best customer experience.
Peek at a quote if you’re impressed by the wide coverage offerings. But look for renters insurance options if you think you’ll find a better fit elsewhere.
What renters insurance coverage does Travelers offer?
Travelers includes all the necessities plus protection for improvements you make to your space. Coverage includes:
- Personal property
- Personal liability
- Medical payments
- Additional living expenses
- Improvements you made to your space
What add-on renters coverage does Travelers offer?
Your Travelers renters policy can include a variety of helpful add-ons like:
- Jewelry and valuable items. Add extra coverage for jewelry and other valuables without worrying about a deductible.
- Identity fraud expense. Reimburses fraudulent charges and provides support to restore your identity.
- Equipment breakdown. Pays to repair or replace appliances and equipment due to mechanical or electrical breakdowns.
- Decreasing deductible. Pay extra to reduce your deductible by $100 every year you stay with Travelers.
- Enhanced coverage package. Includes coverage for personal injuries, contents replacement cost, water backups and loss assessments for shared condo, apartment or community spaces.
- Additional coverage package. Includes belongings protection against all risks, increased coverage for personal injury, replacement cost and $500 for refrigerated items.
What renters insurance discounts can I get?
Shrink your premium with a few easily achieved discounts:
- Protective devices. Reap the rewards for installing smoke detectors, fire or theft alarms, other home security systems and smart technology.
- Loss free. Discount your premium if you haven’t filed a claim for a specific time period.
- Multipolicy. Save 5% off car insurance when you bundle, plus additional savings with an umbrella, boat or personal articles policy.
- Good payer. Shave a few dollars off your premium for a history of paying your bill on time.
Pros and cons of Travelers renters insurance
- Top industry choice. Travelers lands in the top six home insurance companies in the industry, showing its popularity among customers.
- Loads of experience. The company backs its policies with over 160 years of insurance experience.
- Local agents. You get access to personalized customer service, an uncommon experience with other renters policies.
- Belongings protected away from home. Find peace of mind about your personal items even when they’re not at home.
- No need to inventory or appraise valuables. You won’t need extra documentation when buying extra coverage for your valuable items.
- Low customer ratings. Customers rate Travelers with an overall 1 out of 5 stars on the Better Business Bureau, as of December 2019. And the company received 2 out of 5 stars on the 2019 J.D. Power Renters Insurance study.
- Only annual payment available online. If you want to pay in monthly installments, you’ll have to call an agent. Otherwise you’ll need to pay in full each year.
- Not the deepest discounts. You might find deeper discounts elsewhere, such as a multipolicy discount higher than 5%.
How to apply for Travelers renters insurance
Breeze through the online application or choose to apply over the phone, using these steps:
- Go to the Travelers Insurance website.
- Select Renters from the dropdown, enter your ZIP. Click Start quote.
- Choose whether you’re a current customer. Select Continue quote.
- Enter basic personal information and read the disclosure. If you agree, click Yes, start my quote.
- Answer a few questions about yourself and your rental space. Click Continue after completing each set of questions.
- Receive your quote and review property coverage amount. If you agree, click Continue to buy. Or get a quote from several insurance companies listed underneath your Travelers quote.
- Review and edit your coverage. If you edit coverage, click Recalculate to see your new quote. If you agree to the policy, click Continue to buy.
- Select your payment plan, review your coverage and verify your information. Click Continue to buy.
- Choose your start date and payment plan. Then, enter payment information and finalize your policy.
Phone. Get a quote with a personal touch by calling 888-260-2548
What info do I need to apply for renters insurance with Travelers?
Your application includes questions about this information:
- Date of birth
- Phone number
- Type of residence
- Dog breed and injury history
- Date, description and amount of loss for claims within five years
- Safety features
- Start date
- Landlord contact information, if needed
- Payment details