Travelers renters insurance review
Pack your policy with coverage backed by over 160 years of experience.
- Get a quote if you’ll take advantage of the many add-ons.
- Pick something else if you find better discounts or customer service elsewhere.
- Many renters can apply.
All 50 states
- Top industry choice
- Loads of experience
- Local agents
- Belongings protected away from home
- No need to inventory or appraise valuables
- Low customer ratings
- Annual payment required if applying online
- Not the deepest discounts
|New home discount discount||No|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||Yes|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||Yes|
|Other discounts||Paying bill on time.|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||Yes|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for over three years after graduating with an English Education degree. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Travelers offers a surprising variety of coverage for a renters policy with many add-ons to choose from. Its deep industry experience and top status in the market add to the company’s credibility, and you can even reach out to a local agent for personalized service. However, the company’s reviews and subpar J.D. Power rating could cause concern if you’re looking for the best customer experience.
Peek at a quote if you’re impressed by the wide coverage offerings. But look for renters insurance options if you think you’ll find a better fit elsewhere.
What renters insurance coverage does Travelers offer?
Travelers includes all the necessities plus protection for improvements you make to your space. Coverage includes:
- Personal property
- Personal liability
- Medical payments
- Additional living expenses
- Improvements you made to your space
What add-on renters coverage does Travelers offer?
Your Travelers renters policy can include a variety of helpful add-ons like:
- Jewelry and valuable items. Add extra coverage for jewelry and other valuables without worrying about a deductible.
- Identity fraud expense. Reimburses fraudulent charges and provides support to restore your identity.
- Equipment breakdown. Pays to repair or replace appliances and equipment due to mechanical or electrical breakdowns.
- Decreasing deductible. Pay extra to reduce your deductible by $100 every year you stay with Travelers.
- Enhanced coverage package. Includes coverage for personal injuries, contents replacement cost, water backups and loss assessments for shared condo, apartment or community spaces.
- Additional coverage package. Includes belongings protection against all risks, increased coverage for personal injury, replacement cost and $500 for refrigerated items.
What renters insurance discounts can I get?
Shrink your premium with a few easily achieved discounts:
- Protective devices. Reap the rewards for installing smoke detectors, fire or theft alarms, other home security systems and smart technology.
- Loss free. Discount your premium if you haven’t filed a claim for a specific time period.
- Multipolicy. Save 5% off car insurance when you bundle, plus additional savings with an umbrella, boat or personal articles policy.
- Good payer. Shave a few dollars off your premium for a history of paying your bill on time.
Pros and cons of Travelers renters insurance
- Top industry choice. Travelers lands in the top six home insurance companies in the industry, showing its popularity among customers.
- Loads of experience. The company backs its policies with over 160 years of insurance experience.
- Local agents. You get access to personalized customer service, an uncommon experience with other renters policies.
- Belongings protected away from home. Find peace of mind about your personal items even when they’re not at home.
- No need to inventory or appraise valuables. You won’t need extra documentation when buying extra coverage for your valuable items.
- Low customer ratings. Customers rate Travelers with an overall 1 out of 5 stars on the Better Business Bureau, as of December 2019. And the company received 2 out of 5 stars on the 2019 J.D. Power Renters Insurance study.
- Only annual payment available online. If you want to pay in monthly installments, you’ll have to call an agent. Otherwise you’ll need to pay in full each year.
- Not the deepest discounts. You might find deeper discounts elsewhere, such as a multipolicy discount higher than 5%.
How to apply for Travelers renters insurance
Breeze through the online application or choose to apply over the phone, using these steps:
- Go to the Travelers Insurance website.
- Select Renters from the dropdown, enter your ZIP. Click Start quote.
- Choose whether you’re a current customer. Select Continue quote.
- Enter basic personal information and read the disclosure. If you agree, click Yes, start my quote.
- Answer a few questions about yourself and your rental space. Click Continue after completing each set of questions.
- Receive your quote and review property coverage amount. If you agree, click Continue to buy. Or get a quote from several insurance companies listed underneath your Travelers quote.
- Review and edit your coverage. If you edit coverage, click Recalculate to see your new quote. If you agree to the policy, click Continue to buy.
- Select your payment plan, review your coverage and verify your information. Click Continue to buy.
- Choose your start date and payment plan. Then, enter payment information and finalize your policy.
Phone. Get a quote with a personal touch by calling 888-260-2548
What info do I need to apply for renters insurance with Travelers?
Your application includes questions about this information:
- Date of birth
- Phone number
- Type of residence
- Dog breed and injury history
- Date, description and amount of loss for claims within five years
- Safety features
- Start date
- Landlord contact information, if needed
- Payment details