Travelers commercial auto insurance review
Find specialized policies across several industries for your fleet of business vehicles.
finder.com’s rating: 4.0 / 5.0
Travelers Insurance is one of the largest insurers in the US and offers packages for commercial vehicles that are specific to each industry’s needs. The website is easy to navigate and obtaining coverage is as simple as choosing an occupation and finding a specialized plan.
|Description||Travelers specializes in commercial insurance packages for vehicles in any industry.|
|States served||Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin|
|Claims methods||online, email, phone|
- Tailored packages to each industry
- File claims online or by phone
- Policy exclusions are not transparent
- No online quotes
- Many customer complaints
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Paid in full discount|
|Safety device discount||Yes, up to 10%|
|Other discounts||Hybrid/Electric Vehicle Discount, Driver Training Discount up to 8%|
|Lifetime repairs guarantee||
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for over three years after graduating with an English Education degree. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Travelers Companies Inc. is a diverse insurance company specializing in custom packages for each industry. While you might have to speak with a representative to get the details you need for a quote, you’ll have online claims management once you have a policy. However, your overall experience will come down to which independent agent you work with.
What commercial car insurance does Travelers offer?
To protect your employees and your property, Traveler’s commercial policies are tailored to your industry. Depending on your state, industry and policy, you may face specific exclusions to your coverage.
- Liability coverage. Protects your company against bodily injury and property damage to others caused by your company’s vehicles, including when loading and unloading.
- Uninsured motorists coverage. Protects your company against damages caused by uninsured drivers.
- Underinsured motorists coverage. Covers accidents involving drivers with inadequate insurance to cover damages.
- Collision. Protects you against accidental loss or damage during a car accident.
- Comprehensive. Covers non-accidental damage like vandalism, floods and windstorms.
Where can I get commercial car insurance from Travelers?
Travelers claims to offer coverage in 42 states, but also offers independent agents in every state except for Alaska and West Virginia. There might be limits or coverage exceptions for specific locations or industries. Your agent can help you confirm coverage options.
For multi-national fleets, Travelers also offers insurance in Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland and Brazil.
What features does Travelers offer for businesses?
Narrow down policies by industry, products, solutions or services to keep your workers and vehicles safe on the road and on the job. Compare a few of the industries Travelers specializes in.
- Agribusiness. Covers farms, ranches, wineries, horses and stables, packers and commercial growers of agricultural products.
- Vehicle dealers. Offers products and insight to protect vehicle, trailer and truck dealers as well as marine services suppliers, ocean cargo and luxury yacht owners.
- Business services. Covers printers, publishers, building service contractors and lawyer professional liability.
- Construction. Offers specialized coverage to help protect contractors, architects, engineers and surveyors against the cost of risk.
- Education. Includes coverage for four-year universities, two-year junior colleges and K–12 schools.
- Energy and renewable. Find policies for utilities, solar, wind and the oil and gas industry
- Equipment dealers. Specialized areas include construction, farm and industry machinery dealers.
- Finance. Offers options to address the management liability and crime coverage needs of financial institutions and banks.
- Food services. Includes catering, restaurants and breweries.
- Healthcare. Covers medical technology, outpatient facilities and skilled nursing care facilities.
- Hospitality and recreation. Offers products designed to address the requirements of golfing-related businesses, hotels and similar properties.
- Manufacturing and distribution. Focuses on unique risks to manufacturers and wholesalers, such as supply chain disruption, employee safety and brand and reputation.
- Nonprofits and public sector. Protects nonprofits, museums, municipalities, public schools, transit authorities and more against lost income and other unique risks.
- Real estate. Coverage for the wide requirements of HOAs, owners and real estate professionals.
- Retail. Plans for regional chain stores and retail businesses too large for incorporation under a business owner’s policy.
- Technology. Includes telecommunications, medical technology, IT and electronics manufacturing industries.
- Transportation. Helps commercial cargo haulers protect their business from warehousing to delivery.
How reliable is Travelers?
Travelers boasts an A++ rating from A.M. Best for its financial strength and ability to pay claims.
Accredited with the Better Business Bureau since 2010, Travelers’ BBB page includes 43 customer reviews, earning a low 1.5 stars out of 5. It also garners more than 370 complaints, though most are related to claims for personal insurance.
Pros and cons of Travelers commercial car insurance
- Coverage is available in almost every major US city.
- Specialized packages help you meet your industry standards.
- Easy online claims management gets your drivers back on the road faster.
- Travelers lacks full online transparency and requires you to talk to an agent to get a quote or more details.
- Travelers operates through thousands of independent agents. Your experience with your agent may differ from others’ experience.
- The website experience is not ideal. Though the application process is otherwise quick and easy, we experienced several glitches and error messages while navigating the Travelers commercial auto insurance site. You might need to call an agent to find detailed information or complete your inquiry.
How to contact Travelers
- Email at https://www.travelers.com/findagent.
- Call 800-252-2268 for billing or 800-238-6225 for claims.
How do I apply for Travelers commercial auto insurance?
- Visit the Travelers commercial truck & auto insurance page and click Start Now below the Find an Agent section.
- Enter your zip code or city and state.
- Select Insurance for Business in the “Insurance for” dropdown menu and your business type in the “Line of business” dropdown menu. Click Search.
- You’ll see a list of nearby agents on the map. Select any agent to get information on location and products offered as well as contact information to start your quote process.
You will need to contact an agent to learn the specifics of what you will need to apply.
Alternatives to Travelers commercial car insurance
Frequently asked questions
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.