Travelers car insurance review 2021
A frontrunner for its top service and coverage, but a long no-claims record unlocks its best savings
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote for its stellar service and coverage.
- Pick something else if you’ve had recent violations or claims.
- Drivers with a claim-free history will find the best discounts.
New car protection
|States served||Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
- Financial strength
- Multiple discounts
- Friendly website with quick quotes
- Access to agents
- Available in 42 states
- Fees for paying by check
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes, up to 8%|
|Good student discount||Yes, 8%|
|Loyalty discount||Yes, up to 15%|
|Homeowner discount||Yes, up to 5%|
|Safety device discount||Yes, up to 10%|
|Special employment discount||No|
Roslyn McKenna is an insurance expert who's driven to help people get a great deal on insurance to protect their families and finances. Roslyn earned a BA in writing and communications from Maryville College and has written professionally for more than a decade, showing up on Bankrate, MSN and Reader's Digest.
Travelers is one of the top ten car insurance companies in the US with a reputation for excellent service. It offers all of the coverage basics and add-ons that most drivers need — including gap and rideshare coverage that you can’t find with every company.
Even more, you can opt for its Responsible Driver plan to add accident and minor violation forgiveness to your policy. This option may be worth it for Travelers customers since the company emphasizes its best rates and discounts for those with a long claim-free history.
Plus, if you need help with choosing coverage or getting questions answered, you can walk through questions with the support of a professional.
However, if you have recent accidents or violations on your current record, you might not find the lowest rates. You’ll also need to look elsewhere if you’re outside of the 42 states that Travelers services.
To make sure you get the best coverage for your money, compare your options before choosing a car insurance company.
How to get a free quote for Travelers car insurance
Travelers makes it easy to get auto insurance coverage online or by calling 800-455-3448. You can also use the agent locator tool to find your nearest local agent, then call or visit to get started.
How you can get covered online:
- Go to the Travelers website. Enter your ZIP code and click Start quote.
- Enter your personal information, then Yes, start my quote.
- Enter your contact details and vehicle information or VIN, then Continue.
- Add driver information for anyone you want to insure, then click Continue.
- Enter current insurance information, then click Continue.
- Select your desired policy option, then continue to buy.
- Verify any final details, review all information, enter your payment info and then confirm.
Discounts on Travelers auto insurance
Travelers offers customers a number of ways to save on car insurance, especially if you’ve gone five years or more without driving violations or claims. That said, Travelers doesn’t offer the steepest discounts around.
- Affinity. Travelers offers exclusive savings for members and employees of qualifying groups and associations.
- Alternative fuel. You may be eligible for discounted premiums when you insure a hybrid or electric vehicle.
- Away at school. A 7% discount is up for grabs if a child on your policy leaves home to attend a school at least 100 miles away and doesn’t take the car.
- Continuous insurance. Customers with no gaps in their coverage history may be eligible for a discount of up to 15%. You can also save up to 10% if you get a quote from Travelers before switching from your current auto insurance provider.
- Good student. Policies that have a driver that is enrolled in high school or college full time may qualify for an 8% discount if the student maintains a B average or better
- Homeowner. Save up to 5% if you own a home or condo, even if it’s insured with another provider.
- Multicar. Save up to 8% when you insure more than one vehicle with Travelers.
- Multipolicy. Save up to 13% when you bundle your auto coverage with home/condo or other insurance from Travelers.
- New car. Insuring a vehicle that is less than three years old can save you up to 10%.
- Payments. Save up to 3% when you pay premiums through electronic funds transfer. Snag another discount of up to 7.5% when you pay your policy premiums in a single, lump-sum payment.
- Safe driver. Get a discount for maintaining a clean driving record with no major accidents, violations, or claims. Up to 10% for three years of safe driving and up to 23% for five years. Drivers who complete an approved drivers education course can snag an additional discount of up to 8%.
- Telematics. The IntelliDrive smartphone app that captures and scores your driving behavior, allowing Travelers to adjust your premium according to your driving habits.
Add-on coverage and free features
In addition to covering all the basics that you need to get on the road, Travelers brings you a solid list of policy extras for robust protection.
- Accident forgiveness. With the purchase of the Responsible Driver Plan, you’ll get accident forgiveness that resets every 36 months. You also won’t see your rates jump from your first minor traffic violation. With the Premier Responsible Driver Plan, you’ll also get a decreasing deductible and a waiver of your deductible if your car is totaled.
- Emergency roadside service. Helps if you break down and you need roadside repairs.
- Gap coverage. Closes the gap between what your car’s worth and what’s owed when your car is totaled in an accident.
- New car replacement. The Premier New Car Replacement package from Travelers includes replacement of your car with the same make and model when you meet certain eligibility requirements. It also includes a lower glass deductible and gap coverage.
- Rental reimbursement. Covers the cost of a rental car while yours is being repaired.
- Rideshare. If you drive for a company like Lyft or Uber, limited liability is typically provided for the times when you’re hauling passengers only. Travelers fills in the gaps between riders so that you’re always covered.
- Mobile app. Download the free MyTravelers app to access your insurance card, file a claim, reach an agent, pay your bill — even sign required documents.
- Learning center. Travelers offers a comprehensive learning center that can help you become a better driver and stay safe on the roads.
Travelers car insurance reviews and complaints
Travelers is not accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), but it holds an A+ rating with the agency as of 2021. Despite its great rating, over 400 customers have filed complaints with the company in the past three years. Customers mention issues with getting overcharged for their policy, being unenrolled from automatic payments, difficulty with reaching customer service and lower-than-expected claim payouts.
Along the same lines, most customer reviews left on the BBB site are negative. However, many customers leave reviews when they have an overwhelmingly positive or negative experience. Satisfied customers may not leave reviews after receiving the service they expected.
To put these complaints in perspective, the main company that underwrites Travelers insurance policies, Travelers Indemnity Company, receives a 0.44 overall on the National Association of Insurance Commissioners Complaint Index. Any number below 1.00 means that the company sees far fewer complaints than normal in the industry.
The exact complaint score differs based on which Travelers affiliate company you choose when searching the NAIC insurer database.
Case study: Jon’s experience
Former CEO, Finder US
We switched our home and auto insurance from Pure to Travelers back in 2015 after realizing we were spending much more on insurance than we needed to be. In fact, moving to Travelers cut our bill roughly in half.
Signing up with the provider was a painful process, though. We had to go through an agent and it felt like we had to verify and then re-verify information several times. On the bright side, I doubt we would have saved as much money if we hadn’t gone through an agent — he constantly itemized what we were paying for and suggested ways we could save. And we haven’t really seen our rates go up with Travelers since first signing up — it’s nice to know that expense is fairly consistent year to year.
So far, we’ve only filed one claim back in 2016 for someone backing into my wife’s car in a parking lot. It was at this point that we found out we didn’t have the collision insurance we thought we did. However, our agent worked with Travelers to get that coverage retroactively. The other person’s insurance ended up footing the bill, so we never found out how quickly Travelers would have paid. But our agent was very responsive and had everything worked out for us in about three days.
Our star ratings for Travelers, explained
Our car insurance experts rank Travelers above average because of its wide coverage options, which includes necessities like liability coverage and extras like accident forgiveness and roadside assistance.
Travelers also has strong finances and a high business rating from the Better Business Bureau. However, the company’s customer satisfaction scores from J.D. Power did pull its rating slightly down.
Compare car insurance alternatives to Travelers
Check out the coverage, perks and cost from other insurance companies to compare with Travelers. Then, tap Get quotes to see your customized rate.
What car insurance coverage does Travelers offer?
Travelers offers the basics that you need to legally drive in most states and Washington D.C, including:
- Collision and. Collision pays for damages to your car when you hit someone else or are hit by them.
- Comprehensive. Comprehensive covers you for damages other than a collision, like vandalism.
- Liability. This protects you if you injure someone with your car. It can help pay for damages to the other party’s property and medical bills, but it doesn’t cover damage to you or your car.
- Medical payments, no-fault or personal injury protection. If you or anyone in your car is ever hurt in an accident, medical coverage pays for medical expenses.
- Uninsured or underinsured. Covers you for damages and injuries caused by an uninsured driver or a driver with inadequate coverage.
Where is Travelers auto insurance available?
Travelers auto insurance is available in almost every state except:
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
Pros and cons of Travelers auto insurance
- Wide coverage. Travelers offers the necessities to drive legally, but it also offers add-ons like accident forgiveness, gap insurance and telematics policies. You won’t find these extras with every company
- Access to agents. Travelers has many offices in every state it serves, offering agent support around the clock.
- Financial strength. AM Best rates Travelers A++, suggesting that it has exceptional financial health. Its high rating shows the company’s ability to pay claims.
- Not available in every state. If you live in Alaska, Hawaii, Louisiana, Michigan, North Dakota, South Dakota, West Virginia or Wyoming, you’ll need to look elsewhere for coverage.
- Fees for paying by check. If you opt to mail in a check to cover your premium, you’ll pay a fee.
4 ways to file a claim with Travelers
Choose the most convenient way of reaching out to Travelers about your claim — whether you prefer filing online, in the app, by phone or through your local agent.
To file a claim with Travelers, you can report an incident online in 7 steps:
- Visit the Travelers website and click Claim center.
- Scroll to Report a claim without logging in, then click Continue.
- Click Auto.
- Answer the questions, then click Continue online.
- Enter policyholder information, then continue.
- Enter your address and vehicle information, then continue.
- Enter incident details, then submit your claim. A representative will be in touch.
You can also file a claim by phone by calling 800-252-4633.
If you need assistance or would rather file a claim with your agent, give them a call or visit them to find out how to move forward.
4. Mobile app
You can also file your claim via mobile app.
- Download the Travelers app then log in to your account.
- Once you’re logged in, tap Report a claim.
- Enter accident information and any other details when prompted.
- Once your claim has been filed, use the app to track claim progress.
Alternatives to Travelers
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.