Unlock extra savings and perks for being a safe driver.
finder.com’s rating: 3.0 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you want stellar support, coverage and perks.
- Pick something else if you want the absolute lowest rates.
- Drivers who have a good record or improve their record will get the most discounts.
|States served||Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
|New car protection||Yes|
- Financial strength
- Multiple discounts
- Friendly website with quick quotes
- Access to agents
- Available in 42 states
- Fees for paying by check
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes, 10-23%|
|Good student discount||Yes, 8%|
|Loyalty discount||Yes, up to 15%|
|Homeowner discount||Yes, up to 5%|
|Safety device discount||Yes, up to 10%|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Temporary & short term coverage||No|
Where is Travelers auto insurance available?
Travelers auto insurance is available in almost every state except:
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
What car insurance coverage does Travelers offer?
Travelers offers full coverage across all 50 states and Washington, DC.
- Bodily injury liability. This protects you if you injure someone with your car, but it doesn’t cover damage to you or your car.
- Personal injury protection coverage. Pays for the medical expenses of an injured driver and passengers in your car.
- Medical payments, no-fault or personal injury protection coverage. If you or anyone in your car is ever hurt in an accident, medical coverage pays for medical expenses.
- Uninsured or underinsured coverage. Covers you for damages and injuries caused by an uninsured driver or a driver with inadequate coverage.
- Comprehensive physical damage coverage. Covers you for damages other than a collision, like vandalism.
- Collision coverage. Pays for damage to your car when your car hits or is hit by another car.
- Property damage liability. Protects you if your car damages someone else’s property.
- Emergency roadside service. Helps if you break down and you need roadside repairs.
- Rental reimbursement. Covers the cost of a rental car while yours is being repaired.
- Gap coverage. Closes the gap between what your car’s worth and what’s owed when your car is totaled in an accident.
- Rideshare insurance. If you drive for a company like Lyft or Uber, limited liability is typically provided for the times when you’re hauling passengers only. Travelers fills in the gaps between riders so that you’re always covered.
Discounts on Travelers auto insurance
Travelers offers customers a number of ways to save on car insurance. Here are some of the discounts that are available:
- Multi-Policy Discount. Save up to 13% when you bundle your auto coverage with home/condo or other insurance from Travelers.
- Multi-Car Discount. Save up to 8% when you insure more than one vehicle with Travelers.
- Home Ownership Discount. Save up to 5% if you own a home or condo, even if it’s insured with another provider.
- Safe Driver Discount. Get a discount for maintaining a clean driving record with no major accidents, violations, or claims. Up to 10% for three years of safe driving and up to 23% for five years.
- Continuous Insurance Discount. Customers with no gaps in their coverage history may be eligible for a discount of up to 15%.
- Hybrid/Electric Vehicle Discount. You may be eligible for discounted premiums when you insure a hybrid or electric vehicle.
- New Car Discount. Insuring a vehicle that is less than three years old can save you up to 10%.
- EFT. Save up to 3% when you pay premiums through electronic funds transfer.
- Early Quote Discount. Save up to 10% if you get a quote from Travelers before switching from your current auto insurance provider.
- Good Student Discount. Policies that have a driver that is fully enrolled in high school or college may qualify for an 8% discount if the student maintains a “B” average or better
- Driver Training Discount. Drivers who complete an approved drivers education course can save up to 8%.
- Paid in Full. Save up to 7.5% when you pay your policy premiums in a single, lump-sum payment.
- Intellidrive. Use the Intellidrive app to allow Travelers to track your driving behavior. If you’re a good driver, you can reduce your premiums by up to 20%.
Does Travelers offer any special programs?
In addition to Travelers’ extensive coverage and optional policy add-ons, there are multiple special programs available:
- Affinity Program. Travelers offers exclusive savings for members and employees of qualifying groups and associations.
- IntelliDrive® Program. A smartphone app that captures and scores your driving behavior, allowing Travelers to adjust your premium according to your driving habits.
- Responsible Driver Plan. If you have a good driving record, this program can give you access to accident and minor violation forgiveness.
- Automatic renewal. Travelers policies renew automatically so that you won’t need to worry about a lapse in coverage.
- Learning center. Travelers offers a comprehensive learning center that can help you become a better driver and stay safe on the roads.
- Roadside assistance. Get assistance if you get stuck or if your car breaks down away from home.
- Recommended repair shops. Get access to a network of recommended repair shops to get back on the road as soon as possible.
- Mobile app. Travelers’ mobile app allows customers to manage their policy, view proof of insurance, and more.
Pros and cons of Travelers auto insurance
- Financial strength. A.M. Best rates Travelers A++, indicating exceptional savings and its ability to pay claims.
- Multiple discounts. Save on students and teens, safe drivers, electric cars and for using autopay.
- Friendly website. Get the info you need online easily, including on-the-spot quotes.
- Access to agents. Travelers has many offices in every state, offering agent support around the clock.
- Limited service. If you live in Alaska, Hawaii, Louisiana, Michigan, North Dakota, South Dakota, West Virginia or Wyoming, you’ll need to look elsewhere for coverage.
- Fees for paying by check. If you opt to mail in a check to cover your premium, you’ll pay a fee.
Compare car insurance alternatives to Travelers
Travelers auto insurance customer reviews
Travelers boasts an official accreditation on the BBB website with an impressive A+ rating to match. It also holds a composite score of 3.84 out of a possible 5 stars based on both customer reviews and its letter grade ratings. However, despite its great ratings, there’s a long list of customer complaints on the BBB website. Customers mention issues with billing, communication, and inadequate claim payouts.
However, you should always take online reviews with a grain of salt. Many people won’t bother to leave positive reviews, saving their time for overly negative experiences. This is why it’s more common to find negative reviews and customer complaints rather than positive remarks. Be sure to ask friends and family about their experience to get a better idea of what each provider has to offer.
Case study: Jon’s experience
We switched our home and auto insurance from Pure to Travelers back in 2015 after realizing we were spending much more on insurance than we needed to be. In fact, moving to Travelers cut our bill roughly in half.
Signing up with the provider was a painful process, though. We had to go through an agent and it felt like we had to verify and then re-verify information several times. On the bright side, I doubt we would have saved as much money if we hadn’t gone through an agent — he constantly itemized what we were paying for and suggested ways we could save. And we haven’t really seen our rates go up with Travelers since first signing up — it’s nice to know that expense is fairly consistent year to year.
So far, we’ve only filed one claim back in 2016 for someone backing into my wife’s car in a parking lot. It was at this point that we found out we didn’t have the collision insurance we thought we did. However, our agent worked with Travelers to get that coverage retroactively. The other person’s insurance ended up footing the bill, so we never found out how quickly Travelers would have paid. But our agent was very responsive and had everything worked out for us in about three days.
How to apply for auto insurance coverage with Travelers
Travelers makes it easy to get auto insurance coverage online, by phone, or in person. Here’s how you can get covered:
- Start by visiting the Travelers website. Enter your zip code and click “Start quote”.
- Click “Continue quote”.
- Enter your personal information, then “Yes, start my quote!”.
- Enter your contact information, then click continue.
- Enter your vehicle information or VIN, then continue.
- Add driver information for anyone you want to insure, then click continue.
- Enter current insurance information, then click continue.
- Select your desired policy option, then continue to buy.
- Verify any final details, review all information, enter your payment info, then check out.
If you’d prefer to get coverage by phone, you can call 1-800-455-3448 to get started.
You can also get coverage through an agent. Use the agent locator tool to find your nearest agent, then call or visit to get started.
How to file an auto insurance claim with Travelers
FIling a claim with Travelers is easy. You can report an incident online, by phone, through an agent, or even via mobile app.
- Visit the Travelers website and click “Claim center”.
- Scroll to “Report a claim without logging in”, then click “Continue”.
- Click “Auto”.
- Answer the questions, then click “Continue online”.
- Enter policyholder information, then continue.
- Enter address information, then continue.
- Enter vehicle information, then continue.
- Enter incident details, then submit your claim. A representative will be in touch.
You can also file a claim by phone by calling 1-800-252-4633.
If you need assistance or would rather file a claim with your agent, give them a call or visit them to find out how to move forward.
You can also file your claim via mobile app.
- Download the Travelers app then log in to your account.
- Once you’re logged in, tap “Report a claim”.
- Enter accident information and any other details when prompted.
- Once your claim has been filed, use the app to track claim progress.
How to contact Travelers
There are a number of ways you can contact Travelers. Visit the “Contact us” page on the website for more details on how to get in touch via:
- Social media
Travelers is one of the top five insurance companies in the country — and it has a reputation for being good at what it does. It offers many discounts and low rates to suburban drivers and those with clean driving records. However, it isn’t available in every state, so if you’re outside of its service area, you may need to look elsewhere for coverage.
To make sure that you get the best coverage for your money, be sure to compare your options before choosing a provider.
Frequently asked questions about Travelers insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.