Travelers car insurance review 2021
Unlock extra savings and perks for being a safe driver.
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote if you want stellar support, coverage and perks.
- Pick something else if you want the absolute lowest rates.
- Drivers who have a good record or improve their record will get the most discounts.
New car protection
|States served||Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
- Financial strength
- Multiple discounts
- Friendly website with quick quotes
- Access to agents
- Available in 42 states
- Fees for paying by check
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes, up to 8%|
|Good student discount||Yes, 8%|
|Loyalty discount||Yes, up to 15%|
|Homeowner discount||Yes, up to 5%|
|Safety device discount||Yes, up to 10%|
|Special employment discount||No|
Roslyn McKenna is an insurance expert who's driven to help people get a great deal on insurance to protect their families and finances. Roslyn earned a BA in writing and communications from Maryville College and has written professionally for more than a decade, showing up on Bankrate, MSN and Reader's Digest.
Travelers is one of the top five insurance companies in the country with a reputation for excellent service and coverage. It offers many discounts and low rates to suburban drivers and those with clean driving records. However, it isn’t available in every state. So if you’re outside of its service area, you may need to look elsewhere for coverage.
To make sure you get the best coverage for your money, compare your options before choosing a provider.
How to apply for auto insurance coverage with Travelers
Travelers makes it easy to get auto insurance coverage online, by phone or in person. Here’s how you can get covered:
- Go to the Travelers website.
- Enter your ZIP code and click Start quote.
- Click Continue quote.
- Enter your personal information, then Yes, start my quote.
- Enter your contact information, then click Continue.
- Enter your vehicle information or VIN, then Continue.
- Add driver information for anyone you want to insure, then click Continue.
- Enter current insurance information, then click Continue.
- Select your desired policy option, then continue to buy.
- Verify any final details, review all information, enter your payment info and then confirm.
If you’d prefer to get coverage by phone, you can call 800-455-3448 to get started.
You can also get coverage through an agent. Use the agent locator tool to find your nearest agent, then call or visit to get started.
Discounts on Travelers auto insurance
Travelers offers customers a number of ways to save on car insurance. Here are some of the discounts that are available:
- Alternative fuel. You may be eligible for discounted premiums when you insure a hybrid or electric vehicle.
- Away at school. A 7% discount is up for grabs if a child on your policy leaves home to attend a school at least 100 miles away and doesn’t take the car.
- Continuous insurance. Customers with no gaps in their coverage history may be eligible for a discount of up to 15%. You can also save up to 10% if you get a quote from Travelers before switching from your current auto insurance provider.
- Good student. Policies that have a driver that is enrolled in high school or college full time may qualify for an 8% discount if the student maintains a B average or better
- Homeowner. Save up to 5% if you own a home or condo, even if it’s insured with another provider.
- Multicar. Save up to 8% when you insure more than one vehicle with Travelers.
- Multipolicy. Save up to 13% when you bundle your auto coverage with home/condo or other insurance from Travelers.
- New car. Insuring a vehicle that is less than three years old can save you up to 10%.
- Payments. Save up to 3% when you pay premiums through electronic funds transfer. Snag another discount of up to 7.5% when you pay your policy premiums in a single, lump-sum payment.
- Safe driver. Get a discount for maintaining a clean driving record with no major accidents, violations, or claims. Up to 10% for three years of safe driving and up to 23% for five years. Drivers who complete an approved drivers education course can snag an additional discount of up to 8%.
What car insurance coverage does Travelers offer?
Travelers offers full coverage across most states and Washington D.C.
- Collision and comprehensive. Collision pays for damages to your car when you hit someone else or are hit by them. Comprehensive covers you for damages other than a collision, like vandalism.
- Liability. This protects you if you injure someone with your car. It can help pay for damages to the other party’s property and medical bills, but it doesn’t cover damage to you or your car.
- Medical payments, no-fault or personal injury protection. If you or anyone in your car is ever hurt in an accident, medical coverage pays for medical expenses.
- Uninsured or underinsured. Covers you for damages and injuries caused by an uninsured driver or a driver with inadequate coverage.
- Accident forgiveness. With the purchase of the Responsible Driver Plan, you’ll get accident forgiveness that resets every 36 months. You also won’t see your rates jump from your first minor traffic violation. With the Premier Responsible Driver Plan, you’ll also get a decreasing deductible and a waiver of your deductible if your car is totaled.
- Emergency roadside service. Helps if you break down and you need roadside repairs.
- Gap coverage. Closes the gap between what your car’s worth and what’s owed when your car is totaled in an accident.
- New car replacement. The Premier New Car Replacement package from Travelers includes replacement of your car with the same make and model when you meet certain eligibility requirements. It also includes a lower glass deductible and gap coverage.
- Rental reimbursement. Covers the cost of a rental car while yours is being repaired.
- Rideshare. If you drive for a company like Lyft or Uber, limited liability is typically provided for the times when you’re hauling passengers only. Travelers fills in the gaps between riders so that you’re always covered.
Does Travelers offer any special programs?
In addition to the extensive coverage and optional policy add-ons available through Travelers, there are multiple special programs available:
- Affinity. Travelers offers exclusive savings for members and employees of qualifying groups and associations.
- Telematics. The IntelliDrive smartphone app that captures and scores your driving behavior, allowing Travelers to adjust your premium according to your driving habits.
- Learning center. Travelers offers a comprehensive learning center that can help you become a better driver and stay safe on the roads.
Travelers car insurance customer reviews reviews and complaints
Travelers is accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and holds an A+ rating with the agency as of October 2020. However, despite its great rating, there’s a list of almost 400 customer complaints on the BBB website from the past three years. Customers mention issues with billing, communication, and inadequate claim payouts.
Travelers sits just below industry average in the 2020 J.D. Power rankings for auto claims satisfaction. The average on the 1,000-point scale is 843 for the year, and Travelers scored 828 in the Central region.
Case study: Jon’s experience
Former CEO, Finder US
We switched our home and auto insurance from Pure to Travelers back in 2015 after realizing we were spending much more on insurance than we needed to be. In fact, moving to Travelers cut our bill roughly in half.
Signing up with the provider was a painful process, though. We had to go through an agent and it felt like we had to verify and then re-verify information several times. On the bright side, I doubt we would have saved as much money if we hadn’t gone through an agent — he constantly itemized what we were paying for and suggested ways we could save. And we haven’t really seen our rates go up with Travelers since first signing up — it’s nice to know that expense is fairly consistent year to year.
So far, we’ve only filed one claim back in 2016 for someone backing into my wife’s car in a parking lot. It was at this point that we found out we didn’t have the collision insurance we thought we did. However, our agent worked with Travelers to get that coverage retroactively. The other person’s insurance ended up footing the bill, so we never found out how quickly Travelers would have paid. But our agent was very responsive and had everything worked out for us in about three days.
Compare car insurance alternatives to Travelers
Where is Travelers auto insurance available?
Travelers auto insurance is available in almost every state except:
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
Pros and cons of Travelers auto insurance
- Financial strength. AM Best rates Travelers A++, indicating exceptional financial health and speaks to its ability to pay claims.
- Multiple discounts. Save on students and teens, safe drivers, electric cars, for using autopay and more.
- Access to agents. Travelers has many offices in every state it serves, offering agent support around the clock.
- Limited service. If you live in Alaska, Hawaii, Louisiana, Michigan, North Dakota, South Dakota, West Virginia or Wyoming, you’ll need to look elsewhere for coverage.
- Fees for paying by check. If you opt to mail in a check to cover your premium, you’ll pay a fee.
Alternatives to Travelers
How to contact Travelers
There are a number of ways you can contact Travelers. Visit the Contact us page on the website for more details on how to get in touch via:
- Social media
Frequently asked questions about Travelers insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.