We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
Travelex Travel Money
Who else makes it so easy to get your travel money sorted? Compare travel money cards, currency transfers, and travel insurance with Travelex.
If it involves sending or spending money overseas, Travelex can help with everything from paying for a hotel to small everyday purchases. This page provides an overview of Travelex and its travel money product so you can make a well-informed decision.
Benefits and features of the Travelex Money Card
- Preload up to 6 popular foreign currencies. The Travelex Money Card is a prepaid card that can hold up to 6 foreign currencies. You can choose from GBP, EUR, CAD, AUD, JPY and MXN.
- No international ATM fees. The fee for withdrawing from international ATMs is waived (the local ATM owner may still charge you to use the machine).
- Reload fee. There is no fee to reload your card.
- Fast activation. Money Cards are generally active and ready for use within 2 hours of purchase, allowing you to organize your travel money options quickly before leaving overseas.
- Free replacement card. You will receive a second Money Card card free of charge for peace of mind in the event that your primary card is damaged, lost or stolen.
- Manage through the app. Top up and check the balance of the Travelex Money Card through the Travelex Money app, available on Google Play and the App Store.
How to order the Travelex Money Card
You can get both foreign cash and the Money Card in-store or online. It’s easier to get your travel money online because of lower prices and the ability to order in advance. When you’re ordering your card, whether online or in-store, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- Choose your currencies. Choose your currency, punch in how much you want and review the foreign exchange rate. You can order a number of foreign currencies at a time, and you’re able to get a Money Card loaded and ready to use too.
- Find your nearest Travelex store. The next step lets you pick an airport or Travelex store to collect your order. After you enter your postcode, you can see where the closest Travelex outlet is, or you can choose to collect your foreign currency order from an airport and terminal. If you want to collect your cash or card from a ‘non-airport location’, you will need to allow three business days for your order to be ready.
- Pay for your order. You can pay for your order online using your credit card or debit card — or cash in person.
Travelex foreign currency exchange
How does it work?
First, from the Travelex website, you select which country you’re traveling to or which foreign currency you’d like to order. Next you choose how much you’d like and Travelex will tell you how many dollars it will cost you based on the day’s exchange rate. Then you choose whether you’d like to pick up the cash or load it to a Travelex Money Card. Finally you select which store or airport you’d like to collect your cash from a submit payment.
The Travelex Online Price Promise
Travelex promises that you’ll get the best daily rate when you order your foreign currency online. This is compared to the in-store rate during non-promotional periods.
Travelex international travel insurance
If you’re using Travelex to send money overseas, order a travel card or using their foreign exchange services, you may want to use Travelex to take out at international travel insurance policy too.
Travelex provides protection for a number of events and can be taken out on a single trip on multi-trip basis. The policy provides coverage for things like overseas medical and dental, lost luggage and travel documents and rental car excess insurance. Check the Travelex website for further information and the terms and conditions of the policy.
Ask an Expert