10% off Big Bus London: Hop-on, hop-off tour
Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
London travel deals
See the Smoke without losing sight of your budget.
Home to the Tower Bridge, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Covent Garden and more sights than we can fit on a page, London is on many a bucket list. See how to plan your UK adventure without breaking the bank.
How to travel cheap to London
Although London can be expensive to visit, you can trim your spending and still have a blast during your stay.
Time of year
Tourists flock to London in late spring and summer for warmer weather. Plan your trip for October or November to cash in on discounted rates, while still enjoying mild weather. Alternatively, look for deals in April and May before the hot rush starts back up.
Flights from the US to London are usually cheapest in the winter. So if you don’t mind a little chill, you could rake in savings on a plane ticket in January or February.
And while last-minute bookings can sometimes help you save if your travel dates are flexible, you should generally book around four months in advance to lock in the best deal.
When planning your London trip, these money-saving tips can help you stick to your budget:
- Check the exchange rate. Exchange rates often fluctuate, so keep an eye out for favorable trends between the US dollar and British pound. Even a small difference in the exchange rate could add up to significant savings by the time you factor in dining out, souvenirs, tips and other spending while away.
- Look for package travel deals. Travel booking sites often offer discounted rates when you book airfare, accommodations, rental cars and other travel needs together.
- Get a visitor Oyster card. London’s extensive public transportation system can help you get around the city with ease — and cheaply when you use a visitor Oyster card instead of buying single-use tickets.
- Take advantage of free attractions. Lots of must-see museums and attractions in this capital city don’t cost a dime. Check out Tate Modern, National Gallery and British Museum for free. And make your way to iconic monuments like Big Ben, the London Eye and the famous Abbey Road crosswalk to take selfies.
- Buy theater tickets in advance. The city’s West End is chock-full of top-rated shows performed in historical theaters as mesmerizing as the plays themselves. Book your tickets online in advance to secure a seat at a reasonable price.
The Kensington, Chelsea and Westminster areas are generally the priciest places to stay and eat out in the city. If you’re traveling on a budget, make these locations day trip spots rather than your home base.
Open to staying in a hostel? You could snag a room for less than $20 per night at Click78 in the King’s Cross area. Or stay in an affordably-priced London flat or apartment found on Airbnb.
To explore more lodging options, check out our guide to London hotels for every budget.
What about last-minute travel?
If your travel dates are flexible, you might be able to find a deal on last-minute hotel rooms that haven’t been booked yet. But you’re less likely to find significant savings on last-minute plane tickets. Expect to find the best flight deals on international flights when you book at least four months in advance.
Touring one of the world’s most expensive cities is possible on a budget — you just have to know where to look for the best deals. And unlike many other destinations, booking your flight to London well in advance will likely add up to the biggest bargain.
More guides on Finder
How much time can you save using Luxury Card Mastercard® Black Card™ concierge services?
Reclaim your time with Luxury card’s concierge service.
How to beat financial stress by controlling your finances
Take control of your money stress by learning to prioritise and plan your financial goals.
6 reasons why you’ll want the Luxury Card Mastercard® Black Card™
Because your time is priceless.
Compare crypto credit cards 2021
Earn crypto on your purchases with these cards.
Delta Medallion status: How does it work and why you should get it
Ascend through its ranks and Delta Medallion Status pays off with additional perks and benefits for SkyMiles members.
Kickfurther inventory financing review
Inventory financing to the tune of $2 million to help your business grow without supply chain hiccups.
United Quest℠ Card review
The Chase United Quest piles on the perks without breaking the bank.
Best credit card combinations
Use these credit card combinations to boost your rewards earnings.
4 upcoming IPOs to watch in April
We break down the financials for each of these soon-to-be public listings to help you decide whether they’re worthy of your watchlist.
How to move with your pets to Australia
Wondering how to move your pets with you to Australia? Read through our guide to bringing your furry friends with you down under.
Ask an Expert