Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Toyota roadside assistance
This free service comes bundled with pre-paid scheduled maintenance as part of your warranty.
Toyota doesn’t offer a separate roadside assistance plan in the US. Instead, every new Toyota comes with ToyotaCare. It’s a no-cost scheduled maintenance service that includes two years of 24-hour roadside assistance anywhere in the continental US and Alaska.
But choosing to extend roadside assistance means renewing your maintenance plan, which could cost you more in the long run.
What’s included with Toyota roadside assistance?
- Battery assistance. Covers jumpstarting your car’s battery, or towing your car if your battery won’t hold a charge.
- Lockout protection. You can get your car unlocked with this service, but it won’t cover key replacement.
- Emergency fuel delivery. Delivers up to three gallons of fuel to get you to a service station. If you drive a hydrogen fuel-cell vehicle, the provider will tow your car to the closest refueling station.
- Tire service. Get a flat changed at no extra cost. Or, get towed to the nearest dealer if you don’t have a working spare.
- Towing. Covers towing to your choice of Toyota dealership within 25 miles of the nearest dealer.
- Winching. Includes extrication from a ditch as long as it’s next to a road and no special equipment is needed.
Which cars are covered by Toyota roadside assistance?
All Toyota car models are eligible for one of the following maintenance plans, which all include roadside assistance:
- Free for two years with new cars. New Toyota models are automatically enrolled in ToyotaCare for the first two years, and you can choose to extend the roadside assistance two additional years with ToyotaCare Plus.
- Free for three years for new Toyota Mirai. This hydrogen fuel cell electric car, comes with an enhanced version of ToyotaCare, which includes three years of roadside assistance.
- Available for purchase for used cars. Toyota Auto Care Classic is available for purchase on any used Toyota, with plans that range from one to four years, and from 15,000 to 55,000 additional miles.
If you sell your car while it’s still covered by any one of these plans, your coverage can be transferred to another private party for a $50 transfer fee. You can only transfer it once, and you can’t transfer the plan to a dealer.
How much does it cost?
ToyotaCare roadside assistance is free on new cars for the first two years, but it doesn’t cover any parts or necessary fluids other than fuel. You can also only be towed to a Toyota dealer, where repairs and parts tend to be more expensive than a typical repair shop.
This service can be extended by purchasing a ToyotaCare Plus plan for $329, which then covers 24-hour roadside assistance for two additional years with no mileage restrictions — but it’s only available for purchase if your car has less than 31,000 miles and is less than 37 months old.
The cost of Toyota Auto Care Classic varies based on dealer location, car model and the amount of coverage purchased.
How do I contact Toyota roadside assistance?
You can contact ToyotaCare roadside assistance using the Toyota owner’s mobile app or by calling 888-444-4195.
What info do I need to call for roadside help?
If you’re using your mobile app to request assistance, all the info you need should be sent automatically to the service provider. But if you’re calling, or if you haven’t yet added your car’s details to the app, make sure you have the following information ready:
- VIN number
- License number
- Telephone number where you can be reached
- Description of the problem
ToyotaCare vs. insurance roadside assistance
Before you extend your ToyotaCare package, consider what an insurance plan has to offer.
- Cost. Take advantage of your Toyota roadside assistance while it’s free, but when it comes to renew, consider that your insurance’s service could add as little as $25 a year to your plan.
- Coverage. ToyotaCare’s roadside coverage is pretty standard. But with the right insurance plan, you could get extended towing distance and get a tow to an independent repair shop instead of the dealer.
- Convenience. The convenience of wrangling assistance using the Toyota owner’s mobile app is hard to beat. Ask if your insurer has a similar feature on its app.
- Availability. The Toyota plan offers 24/7 coverage, so you’ll want to make sure your insurance service is comparable.
Alternatives to Toyota roadside assistance
ToyotaCare is a great perk for new car owners, but after the service expires, you’ll have to decide whether it’s worth the cost of a fully prepaid maintenance plan to extend your benefits.
If adding roadside assistance to your insurance premium makes more sense to you, take the time to compare your options and find a less costly plan.
Frequently asked questions about Toyota roadside assistance
Ask an Expert