Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Toilet paper buying guide
Get the most bang for your buck when buying this household essential.
Toilet paper is a must-have household product, but its cost can quickly add up — especially if you have a large family. We help you compare a few of the leading brands to find the best roll.
Compare some of the best toilet papers
|Number of rolls||Sheets per roll||Ply||Purchase|
|Charmin Ultra Soft||$9.99||36||284||2||Buy now|
|Quilted Northern Ultra Plush||$9.99||36||328||3||Buy now|
|Cottonelle Ultra CleanCare||$16.49||18||340||1||Buy now|
|Scott Comfort Plus Toilet Paper||$13.99||72||462||1||Buy now|
|Soft & Strong||$9.19||12||484||2||Buy now|
Types of toilet paper
There are three main types of toilet paper to choose from:
- Virgin. Virgin toilet paper does not use recycled paper and is made from trees. The term comes from the virgin fibers in newly cut trees. The trees are chipped, pulped, bleached and then turned into toilet paper rolls. Many people elect to use virgin toilet paper, as they are often cheaper, softer and more readily available.
- Recycled. Recycled toilet paper is better for the environment, as the manufacturing process has a smaller environmental footprint. Recycled toilet paper is made from used office paper or newspaper, not from used virgin toilet paper. Old papers are collected and mixed with warm water to form a pulp. Processes are applied to the pulp to remove ink, bleach the paper, dry it out and turn it into rolls.
- Bamboo. Bamboo toilet paper is made from a similar process to virgin toilet paper, but using bamboo stalks instead of trees. Bamboo is a grass that regrows after it is cut and therefore does not need to be replanted. This is considered to be a more sustainable option than virgin toilet paper.
What’s the environmental impact of toilet paper?
Any single-use paper, including toilet paper, has an environmental impact. Toilet paper production often involves deforestation and chemical bleaching. Fortunately, developers and manufacturers are now producing recycled toilet paper that can compete with virgin products in the areas of comfort and strength, such as bamboo toilet paper. Growing bamboo can also have positive impacts on oxygen emissions, degraded land and erosion control. However, bamboo toilet paper typically costs more than other options.
Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certification
The FSC is an international non-profit organization that has created a certification process for forest products that champion sustainability. Look for the tree-tick logo on your toilet paper that indicates it is made using trees from an FSC-certified forest.
Program for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC)
PEFC is an international organization that promotes sustainable forestry practices. It aims to ensure that timber and paper goods are produced in line with ecological, social and ethical standards. It has two classifications – PEFC Certified, which means that 70% of a product has come from PEFC-certified forests, and PEFC Recycled, which means that 70% of a product has come from recycled sources.
How to compare toilet paper
When choosing toilet paper, consider these factors to find the right roll for you:
- Roll and package size. How many sheets are in each roll? How many rolls are in the pack? The bigger the roll, the less often you’ll be rushing out to buy more toilet paper. You can often order toilet paper in bulk online, which can reduce cost.
- Ply count. Ply count refers to how many layers of paper there are per piece. Three-ply means that there are three sheets. The more sheets, the tougher and softer the toilet paper, but also generally the more expensive.
- Plumbing. If you’re having a problem with toilet blockages, it may be your toilet paper. While thicker toilet paper may be more comfortable, it’s worse for your toilet. The quicker toilet paper dissolves, the gentler it is on your plumbing.
- Sensitive skin. Some people have very sensitive skin, which can be irritated by rough toilet paper or by products used by certain manufacturers. There are hypoallergenic options available on the market, designed with sensitive skin in mind.
There is a wide range of toilet papers available – from pricier, more environmentally friendly options to single-ply budget options. Take some time to compare a few leading brands and types to make sure you’re getting the most bang for your buck.
How did we choose these products?
We compared leading toilet paper brands, considering features like price, roll size, sheets per roll and environmental impact.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
13 of the best shoes for nurses
Shop some of the best nursing shoes to help you stay on your feet in comfort and style. We share our picks and tips and advice from nurses.
Compare capsule coffee machines
We’ll help you choose the right capsule coffee machine for your home or office. Compare specs and features for popular capsule coffee machines.
Compare printers: How to choose between inkjet and laser printers
We’ll walk you through the steps to choose a new printer for your home or office.
Power bank buying guide: How to find the best portable charger for your devices
We’ll help you choose the right power bank for your devices. Learn how to compare power bank capacity, ports and other features.
How do Office Depot and Office Max rewards work?
Get 2% back in rewards when you shop for office supplies.
18 top shackets to buy right now
You’re missing out big time if you don’t have a shacket — shirt/jacket hybrid. We tracked down the best shackets for every style, from eclectic to classic.
Best 3D printers in 2020
Whether you’re a student or an industry professional, we broke down the best 3D printers to suit your needs — from budget options to accessible features.
Compare the best air purifiers
Learn how to choose an air purifier to filter harmful particles out of the air so you can breathe easier in your home or office.
Where to buy disinfectant wipes online
Keep your home squeaky clean by stocking up on top-rated surface wipes from one of these retailers.
Where to buy paper towels online
Need to get your hands on paper towels? This is where you can buy them online — and see where you can score free shipping.
Ask an Expert