Car insurance for high-risk drivers at an affordable price
- Get a quote if you’ve been denied coverage elsewhere.
- Pick something else if want to make claims online.
- Drivers who need an SR-22 can get coverage.
|States served||Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia|
|New car protection||No|
- Inexpensive policy options
- Discounts available
- Nonstandard offerings and high-risk drivers
- Accident forgiveness
- Coverage for Mexican travel
- Poor customer service
- No online claims reporting
- Available in 23 states
- No mobile app
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||Yes|
|Other discounts||Mature driver discount for drivers between ages 50 and 65.|
|Temporary & short term coverage||No|
Who is Titan best for?
If you’ve gotten a DUI or don’t have the best driving record and are having trouble getting insured, Titan could be your answer. Titan auto insurance was designed to sell nonstandard car insurance for higher-risk drivers. However, it also offers a wide variety of policy options and a number of auto insurance discounts, making it a great option for anyone in its service area. Whether you need an SR-22 or just want an affordable auto insurance provider, Titan might be right for you if you live in one of the 23 states it services.
Titan auto insurance is currently available in these states.
- New Mexico
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
What car insurance coverage does Titan offer?
Titan offers coverage and add-ons to support most kinds of car insurance coverage.
- Liability protection. Pays when you’re at fault for an accident that results in property damage or bodily harm.
- Collision and comprehensive damage. Pays for damages to your car if you hit another car or object, and damages resulting from fire, flooding, hail, theft or vandalism.
- Personal injury protection. PIP covers medical bills and indirect expenses resulting from an accident, filling in the gaps between your medical insurance and actual billed costs.
- Medical payment coverage. Medical payment coverage can help pay for your medical expenses if you are injured in an accident.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorists. Pays for, or fills in the gap, for damages or injuries to you and your passengers caused by a hit-and-run or accidents with uninsured or underinsured drivers.
- SR-22. This certificate of insurability may be required after multiple driving infractions or license suspensions.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Titan offer?
Beyond Titan’s standard auto insurance lineup, it also offers a number of extended coverage options to provide additional protection.
- Extended coverage. This takes care of flatbed towing, roadside assistance, full glass replacement and even spare parts coverage.
- Towing and roadside assistance. When you’re stuck or stranded, you can get reimbursed for towing or roadside assistance that you pay for out of pocket.
- Rental car. This coverage option will provide a rental car while your vehicle is being serviced after an accident.
- Gap coverage. Pays the difference between what you owe and the value of your vehicle if it’s totaled in an accident.
- Accidental death. Partial coverage in the event of an accidental death caused by an accident.
- Special equipment coverage. Coverage for after-factory additions to your vehicle like custom stereo systems or car rims.
- Non-owner. Coverage for drivers that don’t own the car they drive.
What discounts can I get with Titan?
Titan is an affordable auto insurance provider that is best known for its cheap auto insurance policies. Here are some of the discounts available:
- Multi-vehicle. Get discounted rates when you insure multiple cars with Titan.
- Accident-free. Get a discount on your premiums when you stay accident-free.
- Good student. Students who do well in school can get reduced auto insurance premiums.
- Association membership. Get a discount if you or your spouse is a member of one of Titan’s affiliates.
- Military Members of the military may qualify for lower car insurance rates.
- Anti-theft device. Get a discount if your car is equipped with anti-theft technology.
- Anti-lock brakes (ABS). You may be able to get a discount if your vehicle is equipped with anti-lock brakes.
- Prior carrier discount. You may be eligible for a discount if you switched to Titan from another auto insurance provider.
- Homeowner. Get a discount if you are a homeowner.
- Advance quote. Get a discount for getting a quote at least eight days before your coverage starts.
- Motor vehicle safety course. Get a discount for taking a refresher course on the rules of the road.
- Airbag. Get a discount when you insure a vehicle equipped with airbags or other safety features.
- Farm use discount. Agricultural vehicles may be eligible for discounted auto insurance rates.
- Electronic funds transfer (EFT). Get a discount for paying your monthly auto insurance bill electronically.
- Mature driver. You may be eligible for a discount if you are an experienced or mature driver.
Pros and cons of Titan car insurance
When you’re comparing insurance providers, a few key factors can help you decide on the one that’s right for you.
- Inexpensive policy options. Titan’s website claims you can meet the legal minimums for car insurance coverage with as little as one dollar a day.
- Nonstandard offerings. Teen drivers, those with bad driving records or other motorists considered to be high-risk often face some difficulty getting car insurance from more traditional providers.
- Discounts available. Some of the provider’s discounts include 5% for good students or mature drivers, 5% for having multiple policies, and up to 15% for multi-car policies.
- Flexible payments. Titan offers flexible payment plans to help customers find a way to pay for their auto insurance coverage.
- Accident forgiveness. Your premium won’t increase because of one accident.
- Coverage for Mexican travel. Titan can help you find coverage for your car on your trip to Mexico through IIG.
- Poor customer service. Across many review sites and platforms, Titan was consistently rated below average for responsiveness and all-around customer service.
- Lacking online platform. If you need to file a claim or get a quote, be ready to pick up the phone or go to a Titan or Nationwide office in person.
- Not available in all US states. Titan’s coverage is limited to about half the states in the US, so if you don’t live in a state on that list, you’ll have to find a different provider.
- No mobile app. Titan discontinued its mobile app in 2015, leaving customers to navigate to the company website for bill payments and other account services.
- No-frills auto insurance. Titan’s auto insurance policies are pretty bare bones and don’t come with extra features that you may find with a larger provider.
How to apply for Titan car insurance
While Titan’s website advertises an online quote tool, it doesn’t actually work. In order to get a quote or apply for coverage, you’ll need to call 1-800-848-2687 or visit a local agent. Here’s what you’ll need to apply:
- Personal information (name, date of birth, address)
- Contact information (phone & email)
- Vehicle information (year, make, model or VIN)
- Prior insurance information (if applicable)
- Driver information (license number, years on the road, driving history)
- Employment history & marital status
What do customers say about Titan?
Since Titan is part of Nationwide Insurance, it doesn’t have its own independent rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB). Nationwide’s BBB rating is A+ based on factors like transparency, responsiveness, customer complaint resolution and time in business. It also gets a combined BBB score of 3.73 out of 5 possible stars with customer reviews and complaints factored in.
Customers tend to be pretty harsh on Titan and Nationwide as a whole, mostly for issues with customer service. In fact, on the BBB’s website, Nationwide has 99 customer reviews and 94 of those are negative — significantly more than the industry average. The most common complaints involved delaying or outright denying claims that customers believe should be covered under a policy.
A note about customer reviews: Consumer ratings and reviews can give valuable insight into what it’s like to deal with a company as a customer, but they rarely tell the whole story. Remember that customers don’t typically rate a product or service unless they want to rant and rave, so take these aggregated scores with a grain of salt.
How to contact Titan
Titan can only be contacted by phone at 1-800-848-2687.
What is Titan Insurance?
Founded in 1926 and headquartered in Ohio, Titan is part of the Nationwide Insurance network. It specializes in non-standard auto insurance, and claims to offer coverage starting from as little as $1 per day. It sells auto insurance policies over the phone and through a network of independent agents.
Titan offers both personal and commercial auto insurance and specializes in providing policies to high-risk drivers having trouble finding coverage with other insurers. From state minimums to comprehensive coverage, this provider offers cheap car insurance for the masses.
Titan only offers coverage for commercial and personal vehicles, though it’s parent company, Nationwide offers home, life, renters, condo, event, motorcycle, income property and even dental coverage.
Alternatives to Titan
Titan offers a range of standard and nonstandard coverage for high-risk drivers who may not be able to get coverage elsewhere. And if you meet its criteria, you could save with Titan’s long list of auto insurance discounts. But if you’re seeking premium customer care, better online access and additional features, you may be better off seeking coverage elsewhere.
As always, weigh your options and priorities with what this provider offers, and compare Titan to other insurers with our comprehensive auto insurance guide to make sure you get the best rate and coverage.