TIAA life insurance review 2021
Though TIAA no longer sells life insurance, you can still make a claim or shop for life insurance through its partners.
finder.com's rating: 4.5 / 5
TIAA no longer offers life insurance policies as of 2019. However, TIAA is still servicing active policies as well as partnering with other insurance companies to recommend alternative life insurance from its partners.
18 to 80
$100,000 to $5,000,000
Depends on policy
Medical Exam Required
|Term lengths||Level premiums for 10, 15, 20 or 30 years|
|Medical exam required||Depends on policy|
|Available states||All states|
|Issue age||Not listed|
- User-friendly website
- Money-back guarantee
- Charitable giving benefit option
- Financially strong
- No online quotes
- No whole life insurance
Accelerated death benefit rider
Estate protection rider
Amy Stoltenberg is a staff writer covering all things travel, shopping and lifestyle. After earning a BA at Savannah College of Art and Design, she worked as technical designer in corporate fashion before opting for a career with unlimited travel time. When her laptop's closed, you can find her wandering around Los Angeles looking for hole-in-the-wall eateries and plotting her way to all 50 states (she's currently at 28).
TIAA’s fortitude and comprehensive financial services can make it a one-stop shop for money management.
But if you’re hoping for something more succinct or just want to see what else is out there, be sure to shop around for the best deal.
TIAA life insurance rates
The average cost of a $250,000 term policy for a healthy 30-year-old could be as low as $160 annually, according to the insurer. That’s on the cheap end of the scale compared to other companies. But your actual cost depends on which policy you choose, the amount and length of coverage, as well as your health, lifestyle and other personal factors.
How to get a quote from TIAA life insurance?
TIAA is no longer selling life insurance. If you’re interested in purchasing annuities or other investment accounts with TIAA instead, go to TIAA’s website and navigate to Invest and click See all investment products to get started.
What types of life insurance coverage does TIAA offer?
TIAA’s lineup used to include both term and permanent policies:
- Annual renewable term (ART) life insurance. Ideal for covering short-term needs, this is a one-year policy that the insurer guarantees to renew for a set number of years — though the premiums will go up.
- Term life insurance. This policy offers predictable premiums for a specified amount of time, and pays out a guaranteed death benefit if you die before the end of the term.
- Universal life insurance. A permanent policy that builds cash value over time, and offers flexible premiums and death benefits.
- Variable universal life. With this hybrid policy, your cash value is invested into multiple subaccounts — and you can also adjust the premiums and death benefit as you see fit.
- Survivorship life insurance. Also known as second-to-die insurance, this policy covers two people at once and is only paid out after the second spouse passes away. It’s typically bought by wealthy sp0uses to help their heirs to pay estate taxes.
TIAA life insurance reviews and complaints
TIAA isn’t accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), but it has an A- rating for its customer interaction. The BBB has recorded 41 complaints over the last three years, which is relatively low for an insurance company. Many complaints revolved around account management issues, and all were promptly resolved by TIAA.
Customers award the insurer 1 out of 5 stars.
|AM Best financial rating||
1/5 out of 2 customer reviews
|Trustpilot score||3.1/5 out of 2 customer reviews|
|Customer reviews verified as of||25 January 2021|
Compare life insurance companies like TIAA
Now that this insurer is no longer actively selling policies, consider a similar life insurance company.
Life insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor