Score discounts on big-name and designer brands like Free People, J. Crew and Kate Spade.
ThredUp is a secondhand clothing website where you can score deals on apparel and accessories from popular mid-range and designer brands. It’s ideal for fashionistas who want to update their closet on a budget.
At customers expense
- Discounts of up to 90% off used clothing
- Deals on designer brands like Gucci and Burberry
- Get 50% off your first order just for signing up
- Only women’s clothing available
- You can only see two pictures per item
- Short 14-day return window
ThredUp reviews and complaints
Reviews are mixed for ThredUp. On Trustpilot, the retailer scores 2.9 out of 5 stars, with customers complaining about fake merchandise and items that were not as described. Meanwhile, some sellers noted that it’s difficult to make a decent profit while using ThredUp. Favorable comments applaud fast delivery and an easy-to-use app.
Similar complaints can be found at the Better Business Bureau, where ThredUp has 1.2 out of 5 stars. Customers claimed that their purchases came with flaws like rips, stains and odors, while others had issues with unresponsive or unhelpful customer service agents.
What can you buy at ThredUp?
ThredUp is a resale marketplace for both midmarket and designer brands. You’ll find:
- Dresses: Snag items from brands like Free People, Reformation and Urban Outfitters.
- Tops: Shop casual tees from J. Crew, office-appropriate tops from Ann Taylor and cute tanks from American Eagle.
- Bottoms: Find everything from 7 for All Mankind jeans to bright, sassy skirts from Zara.
- Accessories: Discover plenty of tights, makeup bags, hats, gloves and sunglasses from brands like Betsey Johnson, H&M and Michael Kors.
- Kids: Shop for your kids on a budget, with apparel and accessories starting at $4.
- Maternity: Find wallet-friendly clothing options from H&M, Old Navy, Gap and much more.
For mid-range prices, simply head to the website or app and start scrolling. If you’re specifically searching for luxury fashion, click Designer.
Most sizes on ThreadUp range from 00-32. It also has specialty sizing for tall, junior, plus, petite and maternity.
Sizes vary from store to store, so head to the brand’s website and check its sizing guides before making your purchase.
Shipping, payments and returns
Can I get free delivery?
Yes! Orders over $79 qualify for free delivery. If you spend less, you’ll pay a flat rate of $5.99 for shipping within the United States.
After being shipped, orders are typically delivered in 3-8 business days.
Returning your order
- ThredUp credit: You’ll get a free shipping label and credit from the website.
- Original payment refund with shipping fee: ThredUp will send you a return shipping label for $8.99, which will be taken out of your refund.
- Original payment refund without shipping fee: Handle your own shipping costs when you mail your item back.
- The items must be in the same condition as when you received them and tags must still be on.
- You’ll pay a $1.99 restocking fee.
- You can’t return final sale items.
- No refunds on promotions or discounts.
- Refunds to your original payment method will take between 3-5 days.
- Store credit will be refunded back to your account in 5-7 days.
Can I exchange for a different size or color?
No, you can’t make exchanges — only returns.
How do I return an item to ThredUP?
Follow these steps when you want to return an item:
- Head to ThredUp’s returns page.
- Choose the items you want to return.
- Select the type of refund you would like to receive.
- Hit confirm return.
What sets ThredUp apart?
One of the big standouts with ThredUp is its website design. The company has a super user-friendly interface that allows you to thrift efficiently, with standout deals front and center, like knit sweaters for under $15 and dresses for under $20. There’s also a special sales section, where you can find further discounted deals — lots of items cost less than $10.
ThredUp can be a great alternative to buying brand-new clothes not only because it’s cheaper, but because it helps recycle clothing that somebody else doesn’t want anymore — good for the planet and your budget.
ThredUp Goody Boxes
Want someone else to do the shopping for you? ThredUp will send you a Goody Box, packed with ten handpicked items based on your style and budget. Pay a $10 styling fee for the items you keep and score free shipping and returns on the ones you don’t want. It’s like a thrifty version of Stitch Fix.
How can I contact customer support?
If you need help, you can live chat with a customer service agent or submit your question through its website submission form.
If you’re looking to save on women’s clothing from midmarket or designer brands — from Express to Burberry — ThredUp is a solid bet. Just be sure to look at the sizing of items carefully and read all the fine print from the seller before purchasing.
Shoppers in search of men’s secondhand clothing should check out Poshmark for a similar shopping experience, or the Real Real for luxury menswear. Compare other second-hand shopping sites in our dedicated guide.
Frequently asked questions
What is Buy & Bundle?
Buy & Bundle means that ThredUp will package multiple orders into one shipment, so you receive all your items together. If your bundle purchase is less than the $80 minimum for free shipping, then you’ll be charged a shipping fee of $5.99.
What is ThredUp’s referral program?
ThredUp will sometimes run promotions that offer you site credit when you refer a friend. The person you refer needs to use your referral link and make a purchase, which will then earn you credit as soon as that item ships. Credits are capped at $580 per calendar year.
How does ThredUp’s rewards program work?
Your first purchase will automatically enroll you in the rewards program, and you’ll start earning points with your second order. Snag ten points for every dollar of your order (minus discounts, taxes and shipping).
As you rack up points, you can earn things like free shipping, waived restocking fees and discounts on select items.