The Hartford commercial auto insurance review Apr 2021
Extended coverage and customizable policies for your multi-car business
finder.com’s rating: 3.5 / 5.0
The Hartford offers solid commercial car coverage designed for fleets, from general policies to business-friendly add-ons.
|States served||All 50 states|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
No info available
|Lifetime repairs guarantee||
- Flexible policies
- Extended coverage
- Wide customer support
- Fleet owner programs
- Multi-car accounts preferred
- Some recent complaints
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
With flexible policies, online claims and business-specific support, The Hartford stays in tune with business needs. You’ll be able to optimize driver safety with fleet owner programs and receive extended coverage. Just know that the company mainly draws businesses that need multiple cars insured.
How to contact The Hartford
The Hartford has several ways you can get in touch. Its customer service includes options dedicated to specific business needs.
- App. Use the app to file claims, get roadside assistance and locate repair shops.
- Online. Pay bills, track your claim and manage your account online.
- Phone. Call the business insurance center at 866-467-8730 Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. CT.
- Mail. Send mail to The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc., 690 Asylum Avenue, Hartford, CT 06155.
- In person. Use the agent locator to find an agent near you. Choose the option for small or midsize businesses.
What commercial auto insurance coverage does The Hartford offer?
This insurance works well for established businesses who need fleet coverage and have an AARP membership.
- General liability. Help pay for damages caused to others in an accident where you’re at fault.
- Property damages. If you’re at fault, make sure you can restore other people’s property.
- Collision. Your business car is covered if it collides with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive. Get coverage for non-collision accidents like hail, storms, fire or theft.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorists. Not everyone has enough insurance to cover your costs in an accident, especially if your fleet has expensive trucks and equipment. Get a policy that covers what they can’t.
- Medical payments. Take care of medical bills for you and others after an accident.
- Non-owners. Covers your drivers in a vehicle your business rents or leases.
What features does The Hartford offer businesses?
The company gives several benefits and perks to help businesses get the most out of their fleet insurance.
- Rental reimbursement. Cover the cost of rental while your vehicle is in the shop.
- Towing expenses. Get the tow truck you need when you need it—without worrying about the bill.
- Downtime loss. Accidents can cause you to lose valuable business time. Help make up the loss with this coverage option.
- Subrogation waiver. If an accident is caused by a third person, The Hartford covers the losses anyway.
- Glass repair waiver. The company waives the physical damage deductible when your business car needs glass repairs.
- Single deductible. Sometimes, accidents involve coverage from auto and other physical damage policies. If that happens, you’ll only pay one of the deductibles.
- Fleet owner programs. The Hartford’s Risk Engineering team works with fleet owners to improve safe driving. Its FleetAhead program uses wireless devices on vehicles so owners can identify safety concerns. These options may lead to discounts.
The Hartford commercial auto insurance reviews and complaints
Many customers rank The Hartford high as a whole. Consumers Advocate ranks the company a 4.3 out of 5 overall, with customer experience being at a 4.3 out of 5.
JD Power rates The Hartford above average in its policy offerings and pricing. The company did, however, receive a higher complaint ratio than average with the NAIC in 2019.
With the Better Business Bureau, The Hartford rests at a solid A+. It also maintains an A+ financial rating, according to A.M. Best, as of October 2020.
Alternatives to The Hartford commercial car insurance
Where can I get commercial car insurance from The Hartford?
You’ll find coverage to meet your needs in all 50 states. However, talk to a representative to ensure availability in your area.
Pros and cons of The Hartford commercial car insurance
- Flexible policies. The company works with you to customize policies for your business.
- Extended coverage. Protect your business beyond personal auto insurance coverage.
- Wide customer support. Use the customer support options that are specific to your business needs.
- Fleet owner programs. The Hartford offers several programs to help fleet managers optimize driver safety.
- AARP-affiliated. Maximize your AARP benefits by applying for the AARP Small Business Insurance Program.
- Multi-car accounts preferred. The Hartford caters to businesses who need multiple cars insured, such as fleet owners. However, it will take single-car accounts in special cases.
- Some recent complaints. While The Hartford has an overall good satisfaction score, it scored less positively in 2018.
Frequently asked questions about The Hartford
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.