AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford review
Drivers 50 and over get exclusive discounts to reward their experience, plus more perks.
finder.com's rating: 3.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you like the built-in perks or are curious about rates.
- Pick something else if you have a poor driving record.
- Senior drivers with an AARP membership qualify.
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states & DC|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Pay schedule||6 months|
|Claims methods||Online, Phone|
- Post-accident support
- Exclusive AARP member benefits
- 24/7 claims service
- Only for drivers over age 49
- Mixed customer reviews
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||No|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Roslyn McKenna is an insurance expert who's driven to help people get a great deal on insurance to protect their families and finances. Roslyn earned a BA in writing and communications from Maryville College and has written professionally for more than a decade, showing up on Bankrate, MSN and Reader's Digest.
The Hartford’s AARP car insurance specializes in car insurance tailored for senior lifestyles with perks like post-accident support through its RecoverCare program.
Most customers seem pleased with its customer service and coverage features, but extra perks and added protections make its policies more expensive than with competitors.
If you’re looking for great coverage with a suite of additional benefits, The Hartford’s auto insurance might be right for you, but if you’re under 50 or want the cheapest rates it’s worth getting a quote from multiple insurers.
How to get a free quote for AARP car insurance
Applying for coverage with The Hartford can be done by phone at 888-413-8970 or in-person through an agent. While the company advertises an online quote tool, it rarely works, so your best bet is to speak with an agent.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Name and date of birth
- Residential address
- Contact information including email and phone number
- Vehicle information including daily commuting distance
- Claim and insurance history
- Education history and employment status
What car insurance discounts can I get with AARP?
The Hartford’s auto insurance coverage is one of the most affordable options for mature drivers. However, it also offers a variety of discounts to help drive down the price:
- Bundling. Combine your home and auto policies and save both.
- Defensive driver. Get a discount for three years when you complete an approved defensive driving course and send in your completion certificate.
- Green car. Get an extra discount when you insure a hybrid or electric car.
- Paid-in-full. Get a discount when you pay your premiums in a single, lump-sum payment.
- Safe car. Get a discount if your car has factory-installed airbags, with extra savings for having more than one. You can also save money on your comprehensive coverage if your car is equipped with antitheft devices, such as alarms and trackers.
What extra benefits can I get?
The Hartford offers a number of special programs and purchased add-ons to benefit its members, depending on if this coverage is available in your state or you meet the requirements. However, The Hartford notes that terms and conditions apply to certain perks, so unfortunately you’ll need to contact an agent to confirm your options.
Enjoy these free perks with every policy:
- AARP member benefits. AARP members can get better rates on auto insurance, discounts with associated companies and more, which can increase the longer you’ve been a member.
- Lifetime car repair guarantee. When you make a covered claim and get repairs at an authorized repair shop, the repairs are covered for as long as you own or lease the car.
- New car replacement coverage. Get the full replacement value of your vehicle if your new car is totaled, with no deduction for depreciation.
- Post-accident support. If you’re injured in an accident, you can get reimbursed for the cost of help with home services you can’t perform after an accident through RecoverCare, including dog walking, mowing the lawn, preparing food and transportation.
You can also pay to add these optional extras:
- Combined deductible. If you have multiple vehicles or other properties insured on the same policy, you’ll only pay the higher of the two deductibles when making a claim that involves both.
- Disappearing deductible. Your collision deductible is reduced for every year you maintain a clean driving record. Not available in California.
- Accident forgiveness. You won’t face a rate increase after your first accident, even if you’re at fault. Because additional terms and conditions apply, contact The Hartford to confirm the details in your state.
AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford reviews and complaints
The Hartford has an A+ independent rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and is not accredited as of 2021. Its rating from the BBB reflects how it handles complaints filed with the agency, among other factors. Despite its high rating, the company received nearly 217 customer complaints in the past three years, with the majority focused on problems with billing and collection issues.
To put these in perspective, the Hartford Underwriters Insurance Company receives a 1.33 score on the National Association of Insurance Commissioners complaint index for private passenger vehicles. Since the national standard is 1.00, the company’s score shows that it sees an average number of complaints.
However, in the J.D. Power Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study, The Hartford typically ranks a little below average for each region. The exception is in the Southwest, where the insurer receives an above-average 833 out of 1,000 points.
In terms of financial strength, The Hartford Financial Services Group carries a number of ratings ranging from A to A+ for AM Best and Standard & Poor’s. Its ratings show solid financial strength and mean it’s likely to be able to pay out any claims made.
Our star ratings for AARP, explained
Finder’s car insurance experts rate the AARP with 3.5 out of 5 stars because of its wide coverage options, solid BBB score and strong AM Best financial rating.
However, it’s missing several discounts like those for the military or employment groups. And its mixed customer reviews with organizations like J.D. Power and Trustpilot pull its overall Finder rating down slightly.
|AM Best financial rating||A+|
|Trustpilot score||2.0/5 out of 12 customer reviews|
|Customer reviews verified as of||28 June 2021|
Alternatives to AARP car insurance
Look at all your options available, comparing their coverage, features and cost. Then, select Get quotes when you’re ready to see your customized rate.
What car insurance coverage can I get from AARP?
You can get all the standard coverage types you’d find from other insurers, if each coverage type is available in your state, including:
- Liability. Helps cover claims from another driver when you’re at fault for a car accident.
- Collision and comprehensive. Collision covers damages to your car if you hit another car or object. Comprehensive helps pay for damages that aren’t caused by a collision, like fire, flooding, hail, theft or vandalism.
- Personal injury protection. You can supplement your health insurance with this insurance if you get in an accident. Medical bills for you and your passengers are covered up to your limit, regardless of fault.
- Rental car reimbursement. Helps pay for the cost of a rental car up to a certain limit after a covered accident.
- Roadside assistance. Covers costs that come with breakdown recovery, including towing, labor charges, battery jumps, flat tire changes and gas delivery.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorists. Damage caused by an uninsured or unknown driver, or drivers without enough insurance, are covered under this protection.
How to contact customer support
You can get in touch with AARP from The Hartford in several ways, including:
- Phone: 877-896-9320
- Mail: The Hartford, P.O. Box 14219, Lexington, KY 40512
- Fax: 1-877-293-2072
- Online service center: The Hartford website
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze the best car insurance providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you.