Drivers over 50 enjoy special perks for their driving experience and AARP membership.
finder.com’s rating: 4.0 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you want a policy tailor-made for you.
- Pick something else if you have a poor driving record.
- Senior drivers with an AARP membership will like the many perks.
|States served||All 50 states|
|Pay schedule||12 months|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
|New car protection||Yes|
- 12-month rate protection
- Lifetime renewability for AARP members
- First accident forgiveness
- New car replacement coverage
- Lifetime car repair assurance
- RecoverCare post-accident support
- 24/7 claims hotline
- Early cancellation fees
- Not ideal for drivers under 50
- Mixed customer reviews
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes, up to 20%|
|Safety device discount||No|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||Paid-in-Full Discount. Get a discount when you pay your premiums in a single, lump-sum payment.|
|Temporary & short term coverage||No|
What car insurance coverage does The Hartford / AARP offer?
- Liability protection. Pays when you’re at fault for an accident that results in property damage or bodily harm.
- Collision damage. Pays for damages to your car if you hit another car or object.
- Comprehensive coverage. Pays for damages not within your control, like those resulting from fire, flooding, hail, theft or vandalism.
- Personal injury protection. PIP covers medical bills and indirect expenses that result from an accident, filling in the gaps between your medical insurance and actual billed costs.
- Uninsured motorists. Pays for damages or injuries to you and your passengers caused by a hit-and-run or accidents with uninsured or underinsured drivers.
- Underinsured motorists coverage. Takes care of the gap between someone else’s policy limits and the actual cost of your medical expenses after an accident.
- Extended coverage. This takes care of flatbed towing, roadside assistance, full glass replacement and even spare parts coverage.
What extra benefits does The Hartford & AARP offer?
The Hartford offers a number of special programs to benefit its policyholders. Members of AARP can expect even more special programs through this provider.
- 12-month rate protection. This means once you sign up for a policy, you’re guaranteed that rate for the next year.
- Lifetime renewability for AARP members. As long as you’re able to drive and you pay your premiums, you can be with The Hartford for life. They have a no-drop policy, meaning you won’t lose your insurance for filing a legitimate claim.
- First accident forgiveness. Keep a clean driving record for five consecutive years, and you qualify for no rate increase if you’re in an accident.
- New car replacement coverage. If your new car is totaled or stolen, the provider will replace it with the same new vehicle or a similar option that’s worth the same amount.
- Lifetime car repair assurance. The Hartford backs the workmanship of any repairs made under a claim for the lifetime of your policy — so if anything shakes loose after you leave the auto shop, you’re covered.
- RecoverCare post-accident support. This pays up to $2,500 for help with cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, and transportation if you’re injured in an accident.
- Disappearing deductible. Your deductible is reduced for every year you go without an accident.
- Waiver of deductible. If you are not at fault in an accident, The Hartford will waive your collision deductible.
- Combined deductible. If you have multiple vehicles or other properties insured with The Hartford, you’ll only pay the higher of the two deductibles when making a claim that involves both.
- $100 deductible reduction. If you use an authorized repair shop, The Hartford will reduce your collision deductible by $100 if you are not at fault.
- AARP member benefits. AARP members can get better rates on auto insurance, discounts with associated companies, and more.
- Mobile app. The Hartford offers a mobile app that allows customers to view ID cards, manage their policy, and more.
What car insurance discounts can I get with The Hartford?
The Hartford’s auto insurance coverage is one of the most affordable options for mature drivers. However, it also offers a variety of discounts to help drive down the price:
- Anti-theft device. Get better rates when your vehicle is equipped when anti-theft technology.
- Air bags. Get a discount if your vehicle has factory-installed airbags.
- Vehicle fuel type. Receive an additional discount when you insure hybrid or electric vehicles.
- Driver training discounts. Drivers under 21 can get a discount for successfully completing an approved training course.
- Good student discounts. Students between 16 and 25 can get a discount for maintaining a B average, 3.0 GPA, or placing in the upper 20% of their class.
- Defensive driver course. Get a discount that lasts for 3 years when you complete a defensive driving course.
- Bundle insurance savings. Get a discount when you add multiple vehicles to your policy or bundle your auto insurance with home, condo, or renters insurance.
- Paid-in-full discount. Get a discount when you pay your premiums in a single, lump-sum payment.
Pros and cons of AARP & The Hartford car insurance
- Great customer reviews. The Hartford’s website has almost 30,000 customer reviews with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
- Loads of benefits. Policies come with a number of extra features and benefits, even more so for those who are members of AARP.
- 24/7 claims hotline. You’ll have access to customer service at all hours — because problems don’t just come up during the normal workday.
- Early cancellation fees. If you cancel a policy before your term is up, you could be hit with a fee of 10% of your policy or more.
- Geared toward ages 50+. The Hartford partners with AARP for its individual insurance services and some of its policy options may not be optimal or even available for younger people.
- Bad for high-risk drivers. The Hartford’s auto insurance options are geared toward mature and experienced drivers Those with multiple infractions or who are considered high-risk drivers may end up paying more than they need to.
- Limited online access. This provider claims that you can get a quote online, but the tool rarely works. To get a quote and purchase coverage, you’ll need to make a phone call or visit an agent.
How to apply for AARP car insurance with The Hartford
Applying for coverage with The Hartford can be done by phone or in person through an agent. While the company advertises an online quote tool, it rarely works, so your best bet is to speak with an agent. To get a quote, start by calling 1-888-413-8970 to speak with an agent and find out how to move forward. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Name and date of birth
- Residential address
- Contact information including email and phone number
- Vehicle information including daily commuting distance
- Claim and insurance history
- Education history and employment status
What do customers say about The Hartford & AARP?
The Hartford has an A- independent rating from the BBB and is not accredited, although that doesn’t necessarily reflect badly on the company. BBB accreditation isn’t mandatory, and seeking that accreditation doesn’t suit all businesses.
The Hartford is rated excellent in terms of financial stability, receiving an “A” grade from Standard & Poors and similar marks from other institutions, for an overall BBB composite score of 3.23 out of 5 stars. However, the company received nearly 300 customer complaints, with the majority focused on problems with their products/services and billing/collection issues.
TrustPilot gave a more favorable score of 9.4 out of 10 stars, and 91% of the customers who reviewed The Hartford there gave it an “excellent” rating. Many of the customer reviews praised the insurance company for their great customer service and ability to help them save money.
How to contact The Hartford
- Phone: 1-877-896-9320
- Mail: The Hartford, P.O. Box 14219, Lexington, KY 40512
- Fax: 1-877-293-2072
- Online service center at thehartford.com
How to make a claim with The Hartford
- Call the 24/7 claims line at 1-877-805-9918
- Start a claim online at The Hartford’s website
Alternatives to The Hartford car insurance for AARP members
While The Hartford’s individual policies might be geared toward older policyholders, this provider most likely has a plan that suits your car insurance needs and requirements. If you’re looking for great coverage with a suite of additional benefits, The Hartford’s auto insurance policies might be right for you.
Since insurance rates and levels of coverage vary based on your driving history and needs, you could qualify for more affordable insurance with another provider. Narrow down your options by comparing top providers to make an informed decision.
Frequently asked questions about The Hartford & AARP
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze the best car insurance providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you.