AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford review
Drivers over 50 enjoy exclusive discounts for their driving experience
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote if you want a policy tailor-made for you.
- Pick something else if you have a poor driving record.
- Senior drivers with an AARP membership will like the many perks.
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Pay schedule||12 months|
|Claims methods||Online, Phone|
- 12-month rate lock
- Customized options for AARP members
- 24/7 claims service
- Only for drivers over age 49
- Mixed customer reviews
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Roslyn McKenna is an insurance publisher for Finder, where she's driven to help people get a great deal on insurance to protect their families and finances. Roslyn earned a BA in writing and communications from Maryville College and has written professionally for more than a decade, showing up on Bankrate, MSN and Reader's Digest.
While The Hartford’s individual policies might be geared toward older drivers, this provider most likely has a plan that suits your car insurance needs and requirements. If you’re looking for great coverage with a suite of additional benefits like rate protection and post-accident care, The Hartford’s auto insurance might be right for you.
What car insurance coverage can I get from AARP?
You can get all the standard coverage types you’d find from other insurers, if each coverage type is available in your state, including:
- Liability. Helps cover claims from another driver when you’re at fault for a car accident.
- Collision and comprehensive. Collision covers damages to your car if you hit another car or object. Comprehensive helps pay for damages that aren’t caused by a collision, like fire, flooding, hail, theft or vandalism.
- Personal injury protection. You can supplement your health insurance with this insurance if you get in an accident. Medical bills for you and your passengers are covered up to your limit, regardless of fault.
- Rental car reimbursement. Helps pay for the cost of a rental car up to a certain limit after a covered accident.
- Roadside assistance. Covers costs that come with breakdown recovery, including towing, labor charges, battery jumps, flat tire changes and gas delivery.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorists. Damage caused by an uninsured or unknown driver, or drivers without enough insurance, are covered under this protection.
What extra benefits can I get?
The Hartford offers a number of special programs and purchased add-ons to benefit its members, depending on if this coverage is available in your state or you meet the requirements.
- AARP member benefits. AARP members can get better rates on auto insurance, discounts with associated companies and more, which can increase the longer you’ve been a member.
- Lifetime car repair guarantee. When you make a covered claim and get repairs at an authorized repair shop, the repairs are covered for as long as you own or lease the car.
- New car replacement coverage. If your new car is totaled in the first 15 months or 15,000 miles of purchase, you can get a new car with the same make, model and equipment, without factoring in depreciation.
- Post-accident support. If you’re injured in an accident, you can get reimbursed up to $2,500 for help with home services you can’t perform after an accident through RecoverCare, including dog walking, mowing the lawn, preparing food and transportation.
- Rate lock. Once you sign up for a 12-month policy, you’re guaranteed that rate for the next year.
Available with policy upgrade
- Combined deductible. If you have multiple vehicles or other properties insured on the same policy, you’ll only pay the higher of the two deductibles when making a claim that involves both.
- Deductible reduction. If you use an authorized repair shop and you’re not at fault for an accident, your collision deductible will drop by $100.
- Deductible waiver. If you’re not at fault in an accident, your collision deductible will be waived.
- Disappearing deductible. Your collision deductible is reduced for every year you go without an accident.
- First accident forgiveness. When you purchase this add-on or qualify for it after all drivers on your policy keep a clean driving record for five consecutive years, you won’t face rate increases after your first accident.
What car insurance discounts can I get?
The Hartford’s auto insurance coverage is one of the most affordable options for mature drivers. However, it also offers a variety of discounts to help drive down the price:
- Bundling. Combine your home and auto policies and save both.
- Defensive driver. Get a discount for three years when you complete an approved defensive driving course and send in your completion certificate.
- Good student. Full-time college or high school students between ages 16 and 25 can get a discount for maintaining a B average or meeting another measure of academic success set by The Hartford. You’ll need to send in proof, like a report card, each semester to keep the discount.
- Green car. Get an extra discount when you insure a hybrid or electric car.
- Paid-in-full. Get a discount when you pay your premiums in a single, lump-sum payment.
- Safe car. Get a discount if your car has factory-installed airbags, with extra savings for having more than one. You can also save money on your comprehensive coverage if your car is equipped with antitheft devices, such as alarms and trackers.
- Young driver training. Drivers under 21 in most states, or 25 in Georgia, can get a discount for successfully completing an approved training course.
Pros and cons
- Loads of benefits. Policies come with a number of extra features and benefits, even more so for those who are members of AARP.
- 24/7 claims hotline. You’ll have access to customer service at all hours — because problems don’t just come up during the normal workday.
- Rate-lock available. Keep your premium in place for a year instead of six months or less with this built-in feature.
- Exclusively for drivers age 50+. The Hartford partners with AARP for its individual insurance services, and some of its policy options may not be optimal or even available for younger drivers.
- Not ideal for high-risk drivers. The Hartford’s auto insurance options are geared toward mature and experienced drivers Those with multiple infractions or who are considered high-risk drivers may end up paying more than they need to.
- Limited online access. You can only get a quote online in some states. To get a quote and purchase coverage, you might need to make a phone call or visit an agent.
AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford reviews and complaints
The Hartford has an A+ independent rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and is not accredited as of October 2020. Its rating from the BBB reflects how it handles complaints filed with the agency, among other factors. The company received nearly 230 customer complaints in the past 3 years, with the majority focused on problems with its products as well as billings and collection issues.
In terms of financial strength, The Hartford Financial Services Group carries a number of ratings ranging from A to A+ for AM Best and Standard & Poor’s. Its ratings show solid financial strength and mean it’s likely to be able to pay out any claims made.
How to apply
Applying for coverage with The Hartford can be done by phone or in person through an agent. While the company advertises an online quote tool, it rarely works, so your best bet is to speak with an agent.
To get a quote, start by calling 888-413-8970 to speak with an agent and find out how to move forward. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Name and date of birth
- Residential address
- Contact information including email and phone number
- Vehicle information including daily commuting distance
- Claim and insurance history
- Education history and employment status
Compare car insurance alternatives
How to contact customer support
- Phone: 877-896-9320
- Mail: The Hartford, P.O. Box 14219, Lexington, KY 40512
- Fax: 1-877-293-2072
- Online service center: The Hartford website
Frequently asked questions
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze the best car insurance providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you.