Affordable coverage for nearly any driver
- Get a quote if you want cheap rates for a no-frills auto insurance policy.
- Pick something else if you have a good driving record or want extra perks.
- Drivers with a history of accidents or claims or who need an SR-22 can get coverage.
|States served||Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming|
|Pay schedule||12 months, monthly|
|New car protection||No|
- Affordable coverage
- High risk drivers okay
- Instant online access
- Prepayment discounts
- SR-22 filing assistance
- Available in 46 states
- No-frills policies
- Claims handled only by phone
|Anti-theft device discount|
|Defensive driving discount||No|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||Paid-in-Full discount, Specific driver discount|
|Temporary & short term coverage|
Who is The General best for?
The General specializes in insuring “nonstandard” drivers — also known as high-risk drivers. Your anonymous online quote includes the minimum car insurance required for your state, with the option to pay more for additional coverage or benefits. If you have a prior history of multiple infractions or just want affordable car insurance, The General might be right for you. Compare your options to find a provider that’s right for you.
Where is The General auto insurance available?
The General’s auto insurance policies are issued through a network of independent agents and online. Its service area reaches from coast to coast, providing coverage in 46 states. However, if you live in any of the following states, you may need to look elsewhere:
- New Jersey
What car insurance coverage does The General offer?
- Bodily injury liability. This protects you if you injure someone with your car, but it doesn’t cover damage to you or your car.
- Medical payments. For an additional fee, this pays for medical bills if anyone is injured in your car. You’ll pay a fee for this feature.
- No fault. With no-fault insurance, both parties of an incident are compensated by their own insurance companies, regardless of who was at fault.
- Uninsured motorists’ coverage. Covers you for damages and injuries caused by an uninsured driver.
- Collision coverage. Pays for damage to your car when your car hits or is hit by another car.
- Property damage liability. Protects you if your car damages someone else’s property.
- Emergency roadside service. For an additional fee, helps you if your car breaks down and you need help.
- SR-22. An SR-22 certificate of insurance helps drivers with a history of driving infractions or suspended licenses get back on the road.
What extra benefits and add-ons does The General offer?
The General specializes in no-frills auto insurance, so its policy features and special programs are limited. However, there are a couple programs available:
Down payment. Unlike many other providers, The General allows customers to place a downpayment on their policy to reduce monthly premiums.
Mobile app. The General offers a convenient mobile app that allows customers to view ID cards, manage their policy, and more.
What discounts can I get with The General?
Although The General specializes in no-frills auto insurance for high-risk drivers, it does offer a few standard auto insurance discounts.
- Lump sum payment. Get a discount for paying your policy premiums in a single, lump sum payment rather than in installments.
- Deductible doubling discount. Get discounted rates when you double your deductible for the first 45 days of your policy.
- Multi-vehicle discount. Get a discount for insuring multiple vehicles under the same policy.
- Select driver discount. You may be able to get a discount if you only allow specific drivers to operate your vehicle. However, they must have at least five years of driving experience and a clean driving record.
- Defensive driving discount. Drivers who complete an approved defensive driving course may be able to get discounted rates.
- Airbag discount. You may be able to get a discount if your car is equipped with factory-installed airbags.
- Anti-lock discount. Get a discount if your vehicle is equipped with anti-lock brakes.
- Homeowner discount. Get a discount on your auto insurance policy just for owning a home.
- Military discount. Active service members living in Louisiana may be able to get discounted rates.
- Transfer discount. You may be able to get a discount when you switch to The General if you’ve had six months of continuous coverage from another provider.
Pros and cons of The General car insurance
- Coverage for high-risk drivers. If you’re a high-risk driver, many insurance companies either won’t cover you or will charge a lot for coverage. The General prides itself on covering high-risk drivers, although it could come with a higher premium.
- Instant online access. Once you’ve paid for a policy, you can download and print your card immediately.
- SR-22 filing assistance. This service is helpful for drivers who require this confirmation of liability coverage.
- No-frills policies. The General keep costs down by offering the basics. You’ll pay for add-ons like medical payments coverage and roadside assistance.
- Claims handled only by phone. You won’t be able to file a claim online or through an app, which may be an issue if you prefer instant results.
- Limited discounts. Although The General does offer a few standard auto insurance discounts, other providers offer many other ways to save.
- Website lacks information. The General’s website lacks specific information about coverage options, discounts, features and more.
How to apply for The General car insurance
To get car insurance coverage with The General, start by getting a quote online, calling to speak with a representative, or connecting with an agent.
- Visit The General’s website and enter your zip code. Click “Get quote”.
- Enter general information about your location, credit, and prior insurance. Click continue.
- Enter your driver information (Date of birth, marital status, etc.). Click continue.
- Enter your vehicle information (Year, make, model) then click continue.
- Review coverage options and policy details, then continue if you are satisfied.
- Create a password and enter your contact information, then continue.
- Enter your garaging/parking address, then continue.
- Answer the application questions, then continue.
- Enter driver details including license number, SSN and full name, then continue.
- Enter your vehicle details and VIN, then continue.
- Review all policy details, then continue when you are ready.
- Enter your payment information and proceed to purchase your policy.
You can also purchase coverage by contacting The General by phone. Whether you need help finishing your quote or prefer to deal entirely by phone, start by calling 1-866-519-7422.
Use the agent locator tool on The General’s website to find out how to apply for coverage through an agent.
What do customers say about The General?
The General has an official accreditation on the BBB website and boasts an impressive A+ rating to match. It also holds a composite score of 3.92 of a possible 5 stars, based on its letter grade and customer reviews. Despite its ratings, there are over 200 customer complaints on the BBB website, citing issues with billing, unauthorized payments, denied claims, and more.
Keep in mind that online customer reviews don’t always tell the entire story. Most customers will only go online if they have an overwhelmingly negative experience, which is why you won’t see as many positive reviews. Take these customer reviews with a grain of salt, and try to speak with friends and family to learn about their experience with the company.
How to contact The General
You can contact The General by phone or through on online form.
What is The General?
General Automobile Insurance Services, better known as The General, aims to make car insurance affordable and accessible for all drivers. Established in Nashville, Tennessee, The General began selling insurance in 1963 under the name Permanent General Agency. The company was acquired by American Family Insurance in 2012 but continues to operate as a separate brand.
The General offers coverage in 46 states and claims to accept drivers with less-than-perfect credit or driving violations. It offers a variety of no-frills coverage options including basic liability, no-fault, uninsured motorist, and more. While its policy offerings are more limited than some of its competitors, its parent company, American Family, might have something better suited for your needs.
Alternatives to The General
The General prides itself on basic, affordable coverage for “nonstandard,” high-risk drivers. If you have a less-than-perfect record and live in a state that’s included in The General’s service area, it’s an ideal company to explore for low rates.
However, if you’re a low-risk driver or you’re looking for more comprehensive coverage, you may want to explore your options to find a provider that better suits your needs.