Shopping for car insurance can be overwhelming — especially if you’re a high-risk or otherwise “nonstandard” driver. You’ll find that many companies won’t cover drivers who have a history of traffic violations or accidents — affordably or at all.
The General claims to offer affordable coverage for nearly anyone in need of standard car insurance coverage.
|Name||The General Car Insurance|
|Description||The General claims to offer affordable coverage for nearly anyone in need of standard car insurance coverage.|
- Affordable coverage
- High risk drivers okay
- Instant online access
- Prepayment discounts
- SR-22 filing assistance
- Available in 46 states
- No-frills policies
- Claims handled only by phone
What is the General?
In business for 50 years, General Automobile Insurance Services aims to make car insurance affordable and accessible for all drivers. It offers coverage in 46 states and claims to accept even drivers with less-than-perfect credit or driving violations.
The General extends its services with the option to pay a down payment toward a policy to lower monthly costs. It will even assist with SR-22 filings for drivers with traffic-related offenses on their record.
What sets the General apart?
The General specializes in insuring “nonstandard” drivers — also known as high-risk drivers. Your anonymous online quote includes the minimum car insurance required for your state, with the option to pay more for additional coverage or benefits.
What is an SR-22?
What is an SR-22?
Sometimes called a Certificate of Financial Responsibility, an SR-22 is a form provided by your car insurance company to confirm that you have liability coverage. If you have no driving-related violations on your driving record, you likely do not need this form.
SR-22s are sometimes mandated by states or courts for drivers whose records include DUIs or DWIs, driving without insurance, repeat traffic offenses or revoked or suspended licenses. If you do need an SR-22, the court or your local DMV will notify you.
Pros and cons
- Affordable coverage. If you’re a high-risk driver, many insurance companies either won’t cover you or will charge a lot for coverage. The General prides itself on covering high-risk drivers at modest prices.
- Instant online access. Once you’ve paid for a policy, you can download and print your card immediately.
- Prepayment discounts. If you prepay a full year, you can get a discount on your rate.
- SR-22 filing assistance. This service is helpful for drivers who require this confirmation of liability coverage.
- No-frills policies. The General keep costs down by offering the basics. You’ll pay for add-ons like medical payments coverage and roadside assistance.
- Claims handled only by phone. You won’t be able to file a claim online or through an app, which may be an issue if you prefer instant results.
- Limited coverage area. The General is licensed to write policies in 46 states only. If you’re outside its service area, you’ll need to look elsewhere for insurance.
The General auto insurance competitors
What car insurance coverage does the General offer?
- Bodily injury liability. This protects you if you injure someone with your car, but it doesn’t cover damage to you or your car.
- Medical payments. For an additional fee, this pays for medical bills if anyone is injured in your car. You’ll pay a fee for this feature.
- Uninsured motorists’ coverage. Covers you for damages and injuries caused by an uninsured driver.
- Collision coverage. Pays for damage to your car when your car hits or is hit by another car.
- Property damage liability. Protects you if your car damages someone else’s property.
- Emergency roadside service. For an additional fee, helps you if your car breaks down and you need help.
Does the General offer other types of insurance?
No, the General specializes in writing auto insurance policies only.
The General prides itself on basic, affordable coverage for “nonstandard,” high-risk drivers. If you have a less-than-perfect record and live in a state that’s included in the General’s service area, it’s an ideal company to explore for low rates.
If you’re looking for more comprehensive coverage than this no-frills company can offer, explore the options available to fit your specific needs.