Petrol Credit Cards
Want to earn points for refuelling your vehicle? Compare and apply for a petrol rewards credit card.
Petrol is a necessary weekly expense, and one that you could be earning points on. A petrol rewards credit card is designed to help you save on petrol costs and earn you reward points. To help you decide if a petrol rewards credit card will work for you, here we look at how they work and weigh up the pros and cons.
How do petrol credit cards work?
A petrol credit card works similarly to a conventional credit card, allowing cardholders to earn rewards when they purchase petrol on plastic.
There are two card options to consider:
- Direct earn petrol cards. Direct earn cards allow cardholders to earn cashback and discounts directly from purchasing fuel. They are not linked with any other existing rewards program but are connected to specific fuel retailers.
- Indirect earn petrol cards. These cards reward cardholders for spending on a variety of eligible purchases. Points can then be redeemed for petrol discounts and vouchers. The reward programs for these types of cards also allow cardholders to redeem points for a range of other rewards.
What are the pros and cons of a petrol rewards card?
- Rewards. Any opportunity to receive rewards for necessary costs is a plus. The reward is also instant, with the savings added to your account immediately after your transaction has been approved.
- Additional cardholders earn rewards. You can often add a cardholder to your account, doubling the amount of points you could earn.
- Extra benefits. Credit cards often come with additional features such as a frequent flyer rewards program, complimentary insurance or interest-free days that could provide you with other benefits.
- High fees. Generally, there is a joining fee and ongoing annual membership fee when you sign up for a fuel rewards credit card. Some cards will also charge a service fee every time you fill up. Make sure that the value of the rewards exceeds the cost of the card.
- High interest. Typically, rewards cards expect you to pay your outstanding balance at the end of each month. If this is not possible for you, you could have to pay high interest rate charges on your credit card balance.
- Restrictions. Most petrol credit card providers are partnered with a particular service station. Make sure the card is partnered with the petrol station you usually go to each week.
- Reward card competition. With such a wide range of rewards cards available, the fuel rewards card may not offer as much value compared with the competition. Consider how much you spend on fuel and where you want to see your rewards go.
Read more on this topic
Finder's Starbucks Index Khey s̄ngs̄ạy b̂āng h̄ịm ẁā lā tê s̄ūng k̄hxng s̄ tār̒bạkhs̄̒ mī rākhā thạ̀w lok? Læa s̄ìng thī̀ phūd keī̀yw kạb mūlkh̀ā k̄hxng s̄kul ngein? Dạchnī Starbucks k̄hxng Finders 2019 nả s̄enx k̄ĥxmūl pheụ̄̀x kĥnh̄ā
Low interest rate credit cards Compare low interest rate credit cards to help you save money on your purchases and your balance.
Balance Transfer Credit Cards Learn what you need to know about balance transfer credit cards. Everything from how they work to options for poor or bad credit. Read our complete guide.
Introductory credit card offers for a limited time Compare introductory credit card offers that give you bonus rewards points, 0% p.a. balance transfers, interest-free periods and waived annual fees when you sign-up for a new card.
Air Miles Credit Cards If you do a large amount of travelling and spend quite freely on your card, have you thought about exploring the world of air miles credit cards? If you like the idea of being rewarded for your spending, then these cards might be suitable for you.
Dining Credit Cards Getting the most out of the discounts and perks on your dining credit card can save you a lot of money. A dining credit card makes eating out at top restaurants much more affordable.
Shopping credit cards Get rewarded when you shop at your favorite stores. Compare cards that can help you build credit, get store perks, and even transfer balances.
Rewards credit cards Want to earn points for every baht you spend on credit? Compare rewards credit cards and maximise your earning potential.
The beginner’s guide to cashback credit cards Learn everything you need to know about cashback credit cards including how to compare, how to qualify, and what to watch out for.
No Annual Fee Credit Cards A no annual fee credit card can help you save on credit card costs while you still enjoy rewards, frequent flyer perks and more. Compare and apply now.