Texas Farm Bureau car insurance review
Navigate car insurance with some of the friendliest service in Texas, but only for basic coverage.
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote if you’re looking for friendly customer service in Texas.
- Pick something else if you prefer more options.
- Texas Farm Bureau members only.
|New car protection||No|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months, monthly|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
- Local service
- Quality customer service
- Affordable rates
- Online and in-app claims
- Policy management on the go
- Only serves Texas
- Members only
- Few coverage options
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Get the cheapest quotes on your auto insurance
Enter your ZIP code to see insurers near you.
Your information is secure.
How to apply for Texas Farm Bureau car insurance
Follow several steps to apply for Texas Farm Bureau insurance by phone or local agent.
- First, join the Texas Farm Bureau.
- Next, look for a local agent from the personal auto insurance page. Choose Go.
- Search for your address or county to find agents near you.
- Contact your preferred agent or call 877-327-6287.
- Discuss coverage needs, get a quote and provide necessary details to get your policy started.
What info do I need to apply?
Fast forward through the application process by keeping your information ready. Expect to have ready your:
- Home address and phone number.
- Driver’s license number.
- Vehicle make, model, license plate or VIN.
- Driving record.
- Coverage needs.
- Payment information.
What discounts can I get with Texas Farm Bureau?
You could qualify for one of several car insurance discounts. You’ll need to confirm these and other discounts with a representative.
- Airbags. Get an easy discount for a safety feature that most cars already have.
- Antitheft system. Make sure your car is equipped with antitheft technology.
- Claims free. Get rewarded for your safe driving history.
- Good student. Encourage students on the policy to keep good grades for extra savings.
- Multicar. Keep one policy for all your cars at Texas Farm Bureau.
- Multiple drivers. Offset your risk by adding multiple safe drivers.
- Multipolicy. Cover all your insurance needs in the same place for convenience.
What car insurance coverage does Texas Farm Bureau offer?
This company sticks to no-frills coverage with a few options to consider for Texas driving. Coverage includes:
- Property damage liability. Pay for damage you incurred on another person’s car or personal property.
- Bodily injury liability. Take responsibility for injuries to the other driver or passengers after an at-fault accident.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist. This pays for damage the other driver can’t pay because of lacking coverage.
- Personal injury protection (PIP). Cover medical bills, plus helpful extras like lost income and childcare expenses when an accident leaves you unable to work.
- Collision. Get your own car repaired or replaced after physical damage.
- Comprehensive. Protect your ride from noncollision events like theft or weather damage.
- Roadside assistance. Get help when you need it for minor roadside repairs, such as lockouts, fuel delivery and towing services.
- Death indemnity. Offer a limited life insurance benefit to loved ones.
Texas Farm Bureau reviews and complaints
The Texas Farm Bureau has received an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), as of 2022. It’s seen a handful of poor customer reviews and complaints on the BBB site.
Many reviews dealt with abruptly canceled policies or slow communication during the claims process. All complaints to date have been closed to the customer’s satisfaction.
The company has also received less than a 1.00 score on the National Association of Insurance Commissioners complaint index for 2017 to 2019. Its 2019 score was 0.18.
The NAIC complaint index assigns a score to companies that represent its number of complaints relative to the insurer’s business size. A score of less than 1.00 shows that the company receives fewer complaints than standard.
|AM Best financial rating||A-|
|Customer reviews verified as of||2022|
This insurer’s website has a local feel with its simple design and notices about Texan laws to know about. We also like its Life Stages section to help you navigate questions and insurance needs at different times in your life. One flaw on the website is that its get a quote button directs you to its agent locator, instead of an online quote.
TFB also offers a mobile app that lets you do just about everything on the go. You can access your policy and account info in the app, file a claim and upload damage photos, retrieve your proof of insurance and even search for your local agent’s contact details.
Alternatives to Texas Farm Bureau
From the membership section of the Texas Farm Bureau website, enter your personal information and select that you agree to the Terms and Conditions. Fill out payment details for your member dues and finalize membership.
Pros and cons of Texas Farm Bureau car insurance
- Local service. Touch base with a local agent to navigate the best coverage for you as well as for general questions, claims filing or policy management.
- Quality customer service. Customers rate Texas Farm Bureau highly for its strong, friendly customer service and claims fulfillment.
- Affordable rates. Many customers enjoy this company’s pared-back rates, based on J.D. Power’s 2020 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Survey where Texas Farm Bureau ranked first in Texas. You could save hundreds of dollars on your premiums each year.
- Online and in-app claims. This small company offers online, phone and in-app claims around the clock.
- Policy management on the go. Access all your insurance necessities from the mobile app, including your policy documents, claims and local agent’s information.
- Only serves Texas. Texas Farm Bureau limits service to the Lone Star state, but you can find insurance from Farm Bureaus local to your state or region.
- Members only. To get coverage, you’ll need a membership at an additional cost. But membership offers discounted banking, travel, insurance and entertainment services.
- Few coverage options. The company sticks to the basics with auto coverage and discounts.
How to make a claim with Texas Farm Bureau
Get in touch in several ways to make a claim, including online, by phone or through an agent. The company’s claims service is available any time day or night.
- Online. Fill out the company’s claims form directly from the website.
- Phone. Call the 24-Hour Claims Reporting Center at 800-266-5458.
- Local agent. Contact your local agent by phone or office visit to get personal claims support.
Frequently asked questions
- How do I waive my windshield damage deductible?
Texas Farm waives your deductible if you choose to repair the windshield instead of replacing it. If the repair doesn’t solve the windshield damage, you can still apply the repair cost toward your windshield replacement.
- What if the repair shop discovers additional damage after my claims been paid?
Have the repair shop contact a claims representative to discuss additional damage.
What other types of insurance can I buy from Texas Farm Bureau?
As a member, you’ll have the possibility to land a multi-policy discount with policy options for:
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.
Sarah George is a staff writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Texas Farm Bureau provides all the auto coverage you’d expect but not much more, so the insurer doesn’t work well for drivers in search of car insurance extras. However, the company serves in the heart of Texas, offering a highly acclaimed local experience based on what customers are saying. Because of its dedication on the customer service frontier, Texas Farm Bureau members sing its praises for friendly service that’s on top of claims.
If you live in Texas and don’t mind getting a farm bureau membership, get a quote from this company. Then, compare that with other car insurance quotes for the best find.