How do TD Bank and Chase Bank compare?
- Choose this lender for down payments as low as 3%
- Choose another lender if you’re not on the East Coast
- A good option for borrowers with an atypical schedule looking to sit down with a loan specialist
- Choose this lender for great in-person help at branches in 22 states
- Watch out for frustrating customer service online and over the phone
- A good option for borrowers who want a mortgage from a well-known bank.
Neither of these seems the right fit?
CT, DC, DE, FL, MA, MD, ME, NC, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, SC, VA, VT
- Online process
- Low down payment programs
- Guides and resources
- Flexible application process
- Online tracking
- Other banking products
- Member discounts
- East Coast only
- Online customer service limited
- Unclear loan availability
- Multiple fees
- Requires fair to excellent credit
- Limited branches for in-person service
TD Bank is accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and receives an A+ rating. The customer reviews on its BBB profile are sparse — slightly under 130 as of September 2019 — and what few are there average to barely over 1 out of 5 stars.
Negative reviews focus on poor customer service, and complaints are overwhelmingly categorized as issues with product and service or billing and collections. Out of the more than 950 complaints lodged through the BBB, all have either been answered or resolved.
In contrast to the poor ratings on its BBB profile, TD Bank received a 2019 award from J.D. Power for its retail banking customer satisfaction in the Southeast.
As of October 2020, Chase Bank has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, yet reviewers on the site have only rated it 1.18 out of 5 stars. The bank’s score is only slightly better on Trustpilot, where it’s currently rated 1.3 out of 5. However, it’s important to note that these reviews are for Chase Bank as a whole and not necessarily its mortgage products.
Satisfied customers praise Chase’s mobile app, online access and personal service in branches. Most of the negative reviews focus on frustrating customer service, with customers having trouble getting in touch with a helpful representative, being passed around on the phone or just never getting the help they need.
Compare mortgage lenders
Compare top brands by home loan type, state availability and credit score. Select See rates to provide the lender with basic property and financial details for personalized rates.