TD Double Up℠ Credit Card review
A surprising new 2% cashback credit card from a traditionally smaller provider.
- Get this card if you’re a TD Bank customer and want to earn 2% back on all purchases.
- Pick something else if you don’t use TD Bank or you want a more flexible rewards program.
- Apply with a good to an excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 2%
14.99%, 19.99% or 24.99%
Purchase APR (variable)
|Welcome Offer||$75 cash back in the form of a statement credit when you spend $500 within the first 90 days after account opening|
|Rewards||Up to 2% cash back. 1% cash back on purchases plus 1% when you redeem into an eligible TD Bank Deposit Account|
|Purchase APR||14.99%, 19.99% or 24.99% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||0% intro for the first 15 billing cycles (then 14.99%, 19.99% or 24.99% variable)|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Steven Dashiell is a credit cards writer at Finder. He's worked on 250 Finder articles and counting, helping readers embrace and maximize credit cards. Backed by nearly a decade of research and reporting experience, Steve's work can be seen on Debt.com, CreditCards.com and Lifehacker.
The new TD Double Up℠ Credit Card is the only flat cashback card TD Bank offers as of June 2021. It earns up to 2% back on purchases: 1% back on the initial purchases and another 1% when you redeem your rewards into an eligible TD Bank account. It also comes with two introductory offers: $75 cash back as statement credit after you spend $500 within your first 90 days of account opening and a 0% introductory APR on balance transfers for 15 billing cycles, reverting to 14.99%, 19.99% or 24.99% variable. It also requires no annual fee.
This card is one of the rare cashback cards to earn 2% back on all purchases rather than the standard 1.5%. It’s perhaps most similar to the
Citi® Double Cash Card, as both have a condition for earning the total 2%. For the TD Double Up℠ Credit Card, you need to deposit your earned cash back into an eligible TD Bank Deposit account to earn the other half of your 2%. This makes it a little more limiting than the Citi® Double Cash Card, which allows you to earn 1% when you make your purchase plus an additional 1% by simply paying your balance. Still, this card is a bit more flexible than something like the Apple Card, which earns this rate only on Apple Wallet purchases.
The card also comes with a decent welcome offer, and notably, a 15 billing cycles 0% APR balance transfer offer. Given the scarcity of balance transfer offers on the market, this adds big value to this card. Depending on your credit line, you can also receive the Visa Signature version of the card, which comes with additional perks.
All told, this is a surprisingly valuable card with plenty to offer cardholders looking for a flat cashback card. The main caveat is you’ll need to be a TD Bank customer for the card to prove worth it.
Note: This card is only available to residents of the following states: CT, DC, DE, FL, MA, MD, ME, NC, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, SC, VA, VT.
How to apply for the TD Double Up℠ Credit Card
You can apply for the TD Double Up℠ Credit Card by doing the following.
- Go to the provider's site and click Apply now.
- Fill out the requested information and click Submit.
TD Double Up℠ Credit Card benefits
- Earn cash back. You’ll earn 1% cash back as points on all purchases. When you redeem these points as a direct deposit into an eligible TD Bank Deposit account, you’ll earn an additional 1% back. You need 2,500 points to redeem your rewards. You can redeem these as either a statement credit or as direct deposit. This is one of the few 2% cashback cards on the market.
- Signup bonus. Earn $75 as statement credit after you spend $500 on your card within your first 90 days of account opening.
- Intro APR on balance transfers. This card comes with a 0% intro APR on balance transfers for 15 billing cycles, reverting to 14.99%, 19.99% or 24.99% variable.
- No annual fee. You won’t pay an annual fee to use this card.
- Visa Signature perks. If you qualify for a Visa Signature version of the card, you’ll enjoy the additional features offered by this service. This includes perks like travel and emergency assistance services, roadside dispatch and more.
TD Double Up℠ Credit Card drawbacks
- You must be a TD Bank customer to earn full rewards. You only earn the full 2% cash back if you choose to redeem your points as direct deposit into a TD Bank Deposit account. Otherwise, you’ll earn just 1% on all purchases. Since TD Bank is a regional bank, this can render the card much weaker if you don’t have a nearby TD Bank branch to open an account.
- Potentially high APR. The lowest APR you can receive with this card starts at 14.99% variable, which is about the average APR for cards on the market. On the top end, you can end up with a 24.99% variable APR, which is quite high and can make carrying a balance a risk.
Compare cashback credit cards
TD Double Up℠ Credit Card reviews and complaints
TD Bank is accredited with the Better Business Bureau and earns a B rating from the company as of June 2021.
The provider earns a 1.2 out of 5 customer rating on Trustpilot as of June 2021, with several customers complaining of unclear terms and conditions and poor customer service.
The TD Double Up℠ Credit Card is a surprisingly solid cashback card that is well worth a spot in your wallet if you’re a TD Bank customer. However, the Citi® Double Cash Card card still has a leg up over this card thanks to its ease-of-use and should be the first place you look when shopping for a 2% cashback card.
If neither card fits your needs, you can compare all cashback cards to get a better sense of what options are available.