TAB Bank High Yield Savings account review
Earn 1.92% APY, but watch out for excessive withdrawal fees.
finder.com’s rating: 3.9 / 5.0
TAB Bank’s High Yield Savings account offers an attractive 1.92% APY, one of the most competitive rates we’ve seen on a savings account. But customer service isn’t available 24/7 and TAB’s digital offerings leave a lot to be desired.
Minimum deposit to open
|Annual percentage yield (APY)||1.92%|
|Minimum deposit to open||$0|
|Minimum balance to earn interest||$1|
|Monthly transaction limit||6|
|Fee per transaction over the limit||$20|
Kimberly Ellis is a writer at Finder. She hails from New York City with a BA from Queens College and a New York State teaching certificate. After teaching in both public and private schools, Kimberly decided to take the world by storm and dive into the media industry — where she covers everything from home loans and investing to K–12 education and shopping. She’s also an aspiring polyglot, always in a book and forever on the hunt for the perfect classic red lipstick.
The TAB Bank High Yield Savings account is a solid option if you’re looking for a high interest rate in today’s market. You’ll earn 1.92% and won’t need to worry about an opening deposit requirement.
But because TAB is tailored for truck drivers and workers in the transportation industry, the APY and $0 opening deposit are the only appeal for those outside the industry. For instance, truck drivers get additional deposit options if they receive checks from certain trucking payroll companies and frequent Pilot Flying J truck stops.
How do I open a TAB Bank High Yield Savings account?
Apply for a high-yield savings account with TAB Bank in a few steps. TAB makes creating an account faster by letting you log in to your social media or by using your driver’s license details.
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- Choose Personal on TAB Bank’s website, then High-Yield Savings from the navigation menu.
- Select Open Now, then select Open Now again on the following page.
- Create a new login using a Google, Facebook or a LinkedIn account, or select Manual Entry. If you select Manual Entry, enter your name, email address, phone number, date of birth, citizenship and Social Security number.
Otherwise, skip to the next step.
- Enter your driver’s license details, physical address, mailing address and employment information.
- Review TAB Bank’s terms, read and accept the agreement, then link a funding source to make a deposit.
Meet these eligibility requirements to get approved for a TAB Bank High Yield Savings account.
- At least 18 years of age
- US citizen or resident
Have the following information handy when you open your account.
- Valid Social Security number
- Driver’s license or state-issued ID
What are the benefits of a TAB Bank High Yield Savings account?
TAB Bank’s savings account has solid but common features like no monthly fee, daily compounded interest and Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) insurance for up to $250,000. Its other benefits include:
- No opening deposit or monthly fee. There are no minimum opening deposit requirements, and you can start earning interest with as little as $1. You also won’t have to worry about paying a maintenance fee.
- High APY. With an interest rate of 1.92%, TAB offers one of the most competitive APYs in today’s market on any balance that you keep in the account.
- Perks for truckers. TAB Bank has long-standing ties with the transportation industry. Truck drivers can benefit from unique funding options, such as deposits from Pilot Flying J gift cards and third-party checks from some trucking payroll companies.
How much interest you can earn
Get an idea of how much you can earn based on how much money you add to your account.
|APY||Amount in savings||Interest earned in 12 months|
What should I look out for?
Although you can earn high interest with your TAB Bank savings account, beware of several fees and the limited customer service hours.
- Limited customer service. Customer service is available on weekdays from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. MT or on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. You can also use the site’s chat option, a virtual chat assistant.
- Fees. TAB charges a few fees, but two worth noting are $15 for cashier’s checks and $20 for excessive withdrawals. For reference, most banks charge up to $10 on cashier’s checks and excessive withdrawals.
- Account closure fee. If you decide to close your account, you’ll pay a $10 fee.
If you’d like to earn solid interest but need to write checks directly from your savings, you could go with TAB Bank’s Money Market Account. TAB invests your funds in low-risk and short-term securities that deliver a 0.25% APY.
As an alternative, you could go with a Quontic Bank High Yield Savings account, which offers the same APY as the $20, no monthly fees and a wide ATM network.
Compare TAB High Yield Savings with other savings accounts
See which account features suit you and choose Go to site when you find the right match.
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
You can fund your TAB Bank High Yield Savings account in several ways, but you don’t have as many ways of withdrawing your money. For reference, TAB Bank’s routing number is 124384657.
Top up your account through one of a variety of deposit methods.
- Direct deposit. Your employer can deposit funds directly into your account.
- Mobile deposit. The TAB Bank app lets you use your smartphone’s camera to deposit checks.
- Wire transfer. Initiate a same-day wire transfer from an external account, usually for a fee.
- Automated clearing house (ACH) transfer. You can transfer money into your account from another bank for free, but the transfer usually takes two days.
- Third-party checks. If you receive paper checks from one of the trucking industry’s major payroll companies (ComCheck, T-Check, EFS Check, etc.), you can deposit the funds by calling 800-355-3063.
- Pilot Flying J gift card. If you frequent Pilot Flying J truck stops, you can purchase a gift card for up to $1,000 and deposit those funds into your account by calling 800-355-3063.
- Green Dot MoneyPak. Purchase a Green Dot MoneyPak from a participating retailer and deposit funds into your account at moneypak.com.
- Western Union. Deposit funds into your account by visiting any Western Union location.
- Mail a check. Deposit a check via the mail by using a TAB Bank deposit slip.
You can take money out of your account in these ways.
- Wire transfer. Wire money to an external account, but there’s a $30 fee.
- ACH transfer. Transfer funds to another bank, but it takes two days.
- TAB checking account. Open a TAB checking account and withdraw money using an ATM card, but TAB doesn’t partner with any ATM networks, so you’ll always pay a fee.
How to contact TAB Bank about my savings account?
You can reach TAB Bank’s customer service using two main methods.
- Call customer service at 800-355-3063 to ask your questions. TAB Bank’s support hours are weekdays 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Send a secure message through TAB Bank’s contact page.
Savings account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top savings accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: interest rates, monthly fees, minimum deposits, customer service and account features.