Synchrony High Yield Savings account review
Earn 0.55% APY on an online account that comes with ATM access.
finder.com’s rating: 4.9 / 5.0
Looking for a safe place to store your hard-earned cash? A high-yield savings account can help you meet your financial goals more quickly than a traditional account.
Here’s a savings account option offered by the online Synchrony Bank.
Minimum deposit to open
How do I open a Synchrony High Yield Savings account
- Click Apply now.
- From Synchrony’s website, select High Yield Savings and indicate whether you’re interested in an Individual or Joint account. Tell Synchrony how you heard about its products from the drop-down menu. Click Next: Select Options.
- Enter your opening deposit, and indicate whether you would like to receive an ATM card. Click Next: What you will need.
- Review the required information to open an account. When you’re ready, click Next: Provide Owner Information.
- Complete the required fields with your full name, your Social Security number, your date of birth and your email address. Click Next: Provide Address Information.
- Provide your address. Click Next: Verify Identity.
- Verify your identity by providing your phone number, a secret question and answer, your employment information and either your driver’s license number, military ID or state ID. To add a beneficiary, select Next: Add Beneficiaries. Or click Skip/Add Beneficiaries Later.
- Indicate your funding method and source of funds, then provide your banking information, including your routing number, account number and account type. Click Next: Review Selections.
- Review your account information and the Terms and Agreements, and submit your application.
To open a Synchrony online savings account, you must:
- Be a US citizen.
- Have a valid US residence.
- Have a valid SSN or tax ID number.
- Have a US driver’s license, state ID or military ID.
To open a Synchrony savings account, you’ll submit your:
- Full name and contact information.
- Date of birth and Social Security number.
- Driver’s license or state ID number.
- Bank account details for your external funding account.
Compare Synchrony High Yield Savings to similar accounts
We gathered a quick comparison of similar accounts to help you decide if Synchrony High Yield Savings is right for you. For more options, select “Compare accounts” to compare even more savings accounts.
Aspiration Spend & Save Account
|Go to site|
$0 per month or $15 per month for Aspiration Plus ($12.50 per month if you pay annually)
Minimum deposit to open
Minimum balance to earn interest
Compare even more savings accounts
What are the benefits of a Synchrony High Yield Savings savings account?
All Synchrony Bank savings accounts are FDIC insured for up to $250,000 with easy access at an ATM, online or by phone. You can easily manage your balance and set up same-day payments, future payments or autopay online. And a flexible app helps you deposit checks from your mobile phone.
Unlike other products, the Synchrony High Yield Savings Account comes with a high savings rate and benefits that include:
- 0.55% APY. Earn more than with other accounts offered by many competitors.
- No minimum daily balance. Save as much or as little as you want with interest accrued on your full balance.
- No fees. Pay no associated maintenance fees, keeping more of your money in your account.
- Free ATM card. Unlike other online accounts, Synchrony’s comes with ATM access for easy withdrawals. The bank refunds up to $5 in outside ATM fees each statement.
- Customer rewards. Earn access to ATM fee reimbursements, free wire transfers and other perks just for being a Synchrony customer.
What should I look out for?Synchrony High Yield Savings account offers several ways to save, but watch out for potential drawbacks that include:
- Limited transactions. Normally your account could be closed if you passed the six transaction limit, but you’ll want to check with Synchrony to see if this policy is temporarily suspended.
- High wire fees. Outgoing wire transfers are subject to a $25 fee for each.
- Limited in-person support. Synchrony operates only one brick-and-mortar branch in Bridgewater, New Jersey.
- Withdrawal limits. You’re limited to accessing $1,000 from ATMs and $500 for point-of-sale withdrawals daily.
How do I deposit or withdraw money?
Although Synchrony Bank is online only, it offers flexible ways to access your money.
- Eligible ATM
- Direct deposit
- Internal transfer from another Synchrony account
- Electronic funds transfer from a registered external account
- Mobile check deposit
- Wire transfer
- Eligible ATM or point of sale
- Transfer to an external bank account by phone or online
- Wire transfer
- Request a check
How do I get in touch with customer service?
If you need assistance, reach out by:
- Online chat
- Phone at 866-226-5638
What other savings options does Synchrony Bank offer?
In addition to its high-yield savings account, Synchrony also offers:
- Money market account. Easily access your funds with no minimum balance, no service fees, an ATM card and an APY of up to 1.15%.
- CDs. Terms range from three to 60 months, with APYs of 0.75% to 3.00%. A minimum deposit of $2,000 is required.
- IRA CDs. Sign up for Roth and traditional IRA CDs with terms of three to 60 months and 0.75% to 3.00% APYs. A minimum deposit of $2,000 is required.
The Synchrony High Yield Savings Account offers a competitive 0.55% APY, no fees and access to ATM withdrawals. Plus, you get access to perks like ATM fee reimbursement and FDIC deposit insurance.
But transfers are limited, and you won’t get the extensive in-person support of traditional banks.
Before committing your money to an account, compare savings accounts to find the best one you’re eligible for.
Common questions about Synchrony Bank
Savings account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top savings accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: interest rates, monthly fees, minimum deposits, customer service and account features.