A no-fee way to invest in bonds that directly support veteran-owned businesses.
If you’re looking to diversify your portfolio with a low-risk investment, StreetShares offers a higher return than a savings account and supports a worthy cause. But it only offers bond investment opportunities and it’s not available to all US residents.
Stock trade fee
Minimum deposit to open
How does StreetShares work?
Investors purchase three-year Veteran Business Bonds that earn 5% interest daily. StreetShares uses 80% of these investments to help veteran-owned small businesses.
StreetShares is a fee-free way to invest in bonds. You’ll only pay a fee if you withdraw funds outside of your anniversary window or before the three-year mark.
Let’s imagine you invest in bonds on October 1, 2019. Your anniversary window will begin on October 1, 2010, where you’ll have two weeks to withdraw your funds without penalty. After that, you’ll have to wait for three years until October 1, 2023, to withdraw without penalty again. You pay a 1% fee if you withdraw funds outside these times.
What are the benefits of StreetShares?
Some common benefits of StreetShares include:
- Investments support veterans. StreetShares donates 80% of funds to veteran-owned small businesses.
- Competitive interest rate. Earn 5% interest daily on bonds.
- Short holding period. Investors can withdraw funds in as little as one year.
- No management fees. Investors only pay a fee for early withdrawals.
What should I watch out for?
In addition to its early withdrawal fee, potential drawbacks for StreetShares includes:
- Bonds only. Unlike other investing platforms, StreetShares doesn’t offer stock as an investment option.
- Long processing period. Withdrawals over $50,000 can take up to 30 days to process.
- Not available to all US residents. StreetShares bonds aren’t available to those living in the following areas:
- North Dakota
- New Jersey
Compare with other investment platforms
StreetShares reviews and complaints
As of October 2020, StreetShares has 7 customer reviews on the BBB with a 3.1- out of 5-star rating based on its internal criteria. It also has a 3.4- out of 5-star rating on TrustPilot based on 167 reviews.
Customers love investing with StreetShares claiming “the 5% return on their three-year notes is hard to beat.” Customers also like that they can reinvest interest into new bonds once they’ve accumulated at least $25.
How do I get started?
Set up your StreetShares account online or by calling 800-560-1435 to speak with an investing specialist.
To set up your account online, follow these five steps:
- Go to the StreetShares website and click on the Invest tab.
- Click Get Started Now.
- Enter your full name, email address and create your password. Click Continue.
- Enter your investment amount. Click Invest.
- Connect your bank, fund your account and start investing.
You must meet the following requirements to open an account with StreetShares:
- At least 18 years old
- Valid Social Security number
- US residential address
- $25 minimum deposit
Have the following information on hand when you set up your StreetShares account:
- Date of birth
- Phone number
- Social Security number
- Investment amount
- Bank account login or routing number and account number
StreetShares customer service
StreetShares customer service is available from Monday to Friday between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. ET. There are a few ways you can get in touch with a representative:
- Phone: 800-560-1435
- Email: support@StreetShares.com
- Live chat: Visit the website
1900 Campus Commons Drive
Reston, VA 20191
StreetShares is a fee-free way to invest in bonds. But if you live in one of the six areas where it isn’t available, you might want to shop around for another investment platform.