State Farm renters insurance review
Balance solid coverage and fair prices from a top choice in the market.
- Get a quote if you want coverage from the top company in the industry.
- Pick something else if you’re looking for the cheapest rates.
- Many types of renters are welcome.
All 50 states
- Top customer choice
- Fair rates
- Many local agents
- Mold coverage
- No restricted dog breeds
- Mixed online customer and business ratings
- Needs more coverage info online
|New home discount discount||No|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||Yes|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||No|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||No|
|Identity theft coverage||Yes|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
State Farm renters insurance gives you a balanced mix of personalized customer service, fair premiums and enough coverage to fill most renters’ needs. That blend could make the company attractive to renters simply wanting to check this insurance off their to-do while using a reputable company. State Farm even protects against mold damage, not a typical offering for this kind of policy.
However, State Farm doesn’t stand out in any one of these areas. You can find more comprehensive coverage, higher-rated service and lower prices elsewhere.
If you’re looking for a balance of benefits, it’s worth getting a quote from State Farm. But if you’re zeroing in on providers with the best coverage or cheapest policies, compare your renters insurance options to find the best fit.
What renters insurance coverage does State Farm offer?
State Farm offers the necessities, along with some rare but useful coverage for mold damage or business property stored at your home. Coverage includes:
- Personal property
- Personal liability
- Medical payments to others
- Loss of use
- Identity restoration
- Earthquake damage
- Mold and fungus damage
- Valuables, including firearms, jewelry and fine china
- Limited business property
- Waterbed liability for damage caused by waterbeds, such as leaks
What renters insurance discounts can I get?
Your renters policy comes with savings if you qualify for these discounts:
- Multi-line discount for purchasing auto and renters insurance
- Home alert systems, such as theft or fire alarms
Pros and cons of State Farm renters insurance
- The top choice for property insurance. Homeowners and renters all across the nation use State Farm as their top insurance choice, based on the company’s market share.
- Fair rates. The company claims its average rate in 2018 for $35,000 in personal property coverage was $15 a month. That rate is on the low end of average for renters policies.
- Many local agents. The company is well-known for its many local agents that can help you with insurance questions.
- Mold coverage. While some companies exclude mold damage entirely, State Farm offers limited protection for damage caused by fungi like mold, which could come in handy in humid climates and basements.
- All dog breeds welcome. State Farm is one of the rare insurers that believes all dogs are created equal, and doesn’t restrict coverage based on breed. You won’t even be asked about what kind of dog you have during the quote process.
- Mixed ratings. State Farm doesn’t receive high ratings from customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau or Trustpilot, as of November 2019. However, it earned the third top spot in the 2019 J.D. Power Renters Insurance study.
- Needs more coverage information online. You won’t find some options online unless you get a quote, leaving room for some customers to miss out on this coverage.
How to apply for State Farm renters insurance
A few, quick online steps could lead you to renters coverage. Or opt to speak with a local agent for more personalized advice.
- Go to the State Farm site.
- Select Renters in the quote box and enter your ZIP code. Click Get a quote.
- Fill in basic personal information and click Continue.
- Answer a few questions about any other residents. Click Continue.
- Answer questions about the rental apartment or home and hit Continue.
- Receive your quote and review coverage. Click Update quote to view an updated cost after editing coverage.
- To purchase the policy, click Buy online now. Enter your payment information and finalize your policy details.
Phone. If you prefer, you can apply by calling 800-782-8332.
Local agent. Enter your ZIP code in the agent locator tool to find agents close to you. Or contact the agent listed during the quote process.
What info do I need to apply for renters insurance with State Farm?
Soar through your renters policy application with these details at the ready:
- Date of birth
- Policy start date
- Phone number
- Number of residents
- Home business information
- Estimated personal property value
- Claims history and previous insurer
- Safety features
- Coverage needed
- Payment details