State Farm home insurance review
This highly-rated national insurer is known for its stellar customer service and safety discounts.
- Get a quote if customer experience matters most.
- Pick something else if you prefer self-service or a great online experience.
- Homeowners with extra safety measures may get better premiums.
All 50 states
- Top-rated, experienced insurer
- Detached building coverage included
- Home safety discounts
- Customized policies
- Local agents
- No instant quotes
- Needs more online coverage details
|New home discount discount||No|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||No|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||No|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||No|
|Identity theft coverage||Yes|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
State Farm stands out for its excellent customer service and policies that cater to specific home types, like manufactured homes and ranches. Plus, it can cover several other buildings on your property at no extra cost.
But if you’d prefer to manage your policy online and avoid speaking to an agent, you might want to shop around and compare home insurance providers.
What home insurance coverage does State Farm offer?
This well-known brand meets your needs with benefits and extra items that not every insurer offers. Some include:
- Dwelling and detached structures. Along with protection for your home, coverage for your detached garage, shed, greenhouse or other structures on your property are included.
- Personal liability. If someone gets injured on your property and takes you to court, legal expenses are covered.
- Medical payments. Medical expenses are covered if a guest is injured while in your home.
- Property damage. Cover accidental damage to your home and other buildings like garages, sheds or barns. State Farm covers your other buildings at 10% of your policy’s maximum.
- Specified perils. Protect your home and belongings from fire, theft, lightning or wind damage. This can also include problems caused by a frozen plumbing system, heating and cooling systems and even water damage caused by plumbing issues.
- Specialized home policies. If your living space doesn’t fall under the classic home category, you can get policies for your condo, farm, ranch or manufactured home.
What discounts can I get with State Farm?
State Farm offers great discounts especially if you take extra steps to safeguard your home. Here are five ways to save:
- Claim free. Eliminate your premium when you go without claims for a specified period of time.
- Home alert. Guard your house with alarms for fires and intruders.
- Impact-resistant roof. Use specific roofing products that protect it from wind and hail.
- Automatic fire sprinklers. More reliable than fire alarms, indoor fire sprinklers can save your lives and your home.
- Utilities rating plan. Use a qualified contractor to update your home utilities.
Pros and cons of State Farm home insurance
- Top-rated, experienced insurer. With nearly 100 years in business, the company has some of the best rankings and customer reviews, including being named the number 5 top insurer in the 2018 J.D. Power Home Insurance Study.
- Detached building coverage included. The company includes protection for other qualified buildings on your property, a rare freebie in the home insurance world.
- Home safety discounts. The more you invest in protecting your home, the more savings you get.
- Customized coverage. Specified perils coverage, and policies for your home type help you find the perfect policy for you.
- Local agents. Interact with experienced agents who understand your needs when starting and managing your policy.
- Few specifics online. This national company provides little coverage details on their website and you may have to call an agent to get the information you need.
- No instant quotes. You can start a quote online, but you’ll need to wait for an email or phone call to finish signing up.
How to apply for State Farm home insurance
Getting a State Farm policy starts with a customized quote through either a local agent or online application. To apply:
- Click Get a Quote from any State Farm webpage.
- Choose Homeowners from the dropdown and enter your ZIP code. Click Get Quote.
- Provide basic information about yourself and your home. Click Continue.
- Enter additional information about yourself, other applicants, home details and home replacement cost.
- Choose to receive your quote by email, phone or mail. Once received, you can start your policy using the contact information provided.
You can also apply through a local agent by entering your ZIP code after clicking Find an agent at the top of the company website.
What info do I need to apply for home insurance with State Farm?
Prepare for the application process by gathering the following details:
- Email or phone number
- Social Security number (optional)
- Home replacement cost
- Current damage
- Safety features
- Seasonal or full-year occupancy
- Number of occupants
- Claim history
- Previous insurer
- Detached building description like garages or sheds
How do I file a claim with State Farm?
Ways to reach the company can be as personal as an agent or as quick and easy as an app. Here are four ways to start your claim:
- Local agents. If you need someone to review your situation one-on-one, visit an agent near you.
- Website. Report your home’s damage details through your customer account online.
- Phone. Bypass your local agent’s business hours by calling 800-732-5246 anytime.
- Mobile app. For an even faster claims process, report details through the State Farm app. You can also track your progress from there.