State Farm Drive Safe and Save review
Save money when you drive safely — but look out for some app design flaws.
- Available through an app or OnStar
- Quick setup process
- Up to 30% in savings
- Mixed customer reviews
- Savings are less competitive than similar programs like AllState Drivewise, which offers 40% or more in cashback
- Not available in CA, MA, and RI
How State Farm Drive Safe and Save works
State Farm Drive Safe and Save is a type of car insurance that uses telematics to track your driving habits. It works through a device insurance companies attach to your dashboard’s diagnostics port along with a smartphone app. The data they collect can lead to financial rewards for safe driving.
This optional discount program calculates your annual mileage and basic driving characteristics, like speed, acceleration, braking and phone use, through the Drive Safe and Save app or an active OnStar account. After each trip, you’ll be shown a map of your route and the events that happened along the way.
Did you abruptly stop? That’ll show up. Reply to a text while driving? That will show up too.
You don’t need to keep the app open as you drive — trips are automatically calculated through a Bluetooth device, which State Farm sends you in the mail. But make sure to hit Always Allow in your location preferences, so the app can track your driving.
How to join Drive Safe and Save
If you have an OnStar account, call State Farm at 888-559-1922 to enroll in the savings program. State Farm requests odometer information from OnStar about thirty days after you sign up for the program.
No OnStar account? No problem. To join the program and receive your discount, State Farm policyholders can download the app. Your discount is calculated with each policy renewal, which is usually every six months.
- Text SAVE to 78836 for a link to download the app.
- Log into the app using your driver’s license information or your State Farm username and password.
- You’ll receive a Bluetooth beacon a few days after you’ve completed the download. Instructions for setting up the Bluetooth in your car are included in the app.
Drivers save up to 30% with Drive Safe and Save
Expect to save up to 30% on auto insurance when you use State Farm’s Drive Safe and Save, depending on your driving habits. While State Farm offers drivers a discount simply for signing up, the company doesn’t indicate how much that discount is.
To check in on your current State Farm discount, updated roughly every six months, head to your Drive Safe & Save account page or visit the State Farm mobile app. You’ll be able to see your rating after two weeks — though that doesn’t indicate the discount you’ll ultimately receive.
For comparison, we looked at how much you can save from several other popular telematics programs.
- AllState Drivewise offers 40% or more in cash back.
- Progressive Snapshot offers an average of $145 annual savings.
- Nationwide SmartRide offers discounts of up to 40%.
The Drive Safe and Save program doesn’t surcharge your policy, which means your insurance rates won’t go up based on the driving habits the telematic device records.
Drive Safe and Save rates are based on 3 driving habits
After each time you drive, Drive Safe and Save presents you with your route and the events that happened over the course of the ride. Three driving habits it examines to determine your rate are:
- Braking. The app tracks how many abrupt stops you make while you drive.
- Speed. The app notes when you exceed the speed limit by eight miles per hour or more.
- Phone use. You’ll be penalized for using your phone while the vehicle is moving.
Drive Safe and Save uses your data for more than setting premiums
Your data may be shared with:
- Consumer reporting agencies.
- Companies that perform marketing services.
- State Farm employees for business purposes, public policy purposes or as required by law.
State Farm Drive Safe and Save reviews are mixed
The app pulled in a 4.1/5-star rating on Google Play, with multiple customers noting design flaws that included the app crashing, and draining their phone battery. A handful of other customers complained about unhelpful customer service agents.
On the plus side, multiple users said that they’re happy with the amount of money they saved, with one person commenting, “It’s a great little money-saving app” and another noting, “I have saved a surprising amount of money with this program.”
State Farm Drive Safe and Save program stands out for its quick setup time, transparent breakdown of its rating system and a direct line to customer support. But if you’re looking to score higher financial rewards for safe driving, consider other programs like RightTrack by Liberty Mutual, Geico’s Driveasy or AllState’s Drivewise instead.
For a full comparison of telematics insurance programs, head to our pay-as-you-go car insurance page.