State Farm commercial auto insurance review Sep 2020
Personalized support from a financially solid company
finder.com’s rating: 4.0 / 5.0
Car insurance with a personal touch sums up State Farm’s customer service model. Though you won’t find many specialized policies here, the necessities for your business vehicles are covered.
|States served||All 50 states|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
No info available
|Lifetime repairs guarantee||
- Personal support.
- Financial stability.
- Online claims support.
- Rideshare coverage.
- Average customer satisfaction.
- No industry packages.
Katia Iervasi is a staff writer who hails from Australia and now calls New York home. Her writing and analysis has been featured on sites like Forbes, Best Company and Financial Advisor around the world. Armed with a BA in Communication and a journalistic eye for detail, she navigates insurance and finance topics for Finder, so you can splash your cash smartly (and be a pro when the subject pops up at dinner parties).
Looking for personalized customer service from a brand with financial stability? State Farm might just fit your business. You’ll have access to online claims support and rideshare coverage. However, you should take into account the company’s average claims satisfaction and possibly limited commercial policies.
What commercial car insurance coverage does State Farm offer?
State Farm outlines basic coverage and then provides industry-specific options within its business insurance packages. Here are some basic coverages the company offers:
- Bodily injury liability. Ensures that others are protected in the event of an accident that’s your fault.
- Property damage liability. Takes care of damage to other driver’s property.
- Personal injury and medical payments. Pay medical bills for the people in your vehicles or the other car.
- Collision. Cover essential costs if your business vehicle collides with another car or object.
- Comprehensive. Coverage for accidents that don’t involve a collision.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorists. Not everyone has enough insurance to cover your costs in an accident, especially if your fleet has expensive trucks and equipment. Get a policy that covers what they can’t.
Where can I get commercial car insurance from State Farm?
State Farm has agents available in all 50 states and Washington, DC. However, some coverage and availability will differ between states, which you can confirm with your local agent.
What features does State Farm offer for businesses?
State Farm provides insurance packages customized to your business. Packages feature commercial car coverage that fits your industry’s needs. A few of those features include:
- Non-owned coverage. Protect your business when an employee is driving their personal car for business purposes.
- Motor truck cargo. Insure your customers’ property when you’re transporting it in a business vehicle.
- Inland marine. Get coverage against damages to transported business tools, equipment and goods.
- Rideshare option. Extend your personal car insurance coverage for Uber or Lyft drivers at a much cheaper rate than standard commercial coverage.
Pros and cons of State Farm commercial car insurance
- Personal support. Your local rep gives you personalized service tailored to your business and market.
- Financial stability. The company’s strong financial ratings show it has the stability to back up your claims.
- Online claims support. Online claims reporting allows you to file claims when it’s most convenient for you.
- Rideshare coverage. Drivers for companies like Uber or Lyft could avoid expensive commercial car insurance with this policy extension.
- Average customer satisfaction. Despite the company’s face-to-face representatives, overall customer satisfaction ranks as middle-of-the-line.
- Limited coverage. State Farm only covers the basics with its commercial car insurance policies.
Alternatives to State Farm commercial car insurance
State Farm commercial auto insurance reviews and complaints
State Farm is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau. However, it does maintain a high BBB rating of A-. The company also has a strong financial standing with A.M. Best, showcasing an A++ (Superior) rating.
Its consumer ratings offer more well-rounded insight. Consumer Affairs reports a 3/5 rating based on over 400 reviews last year. Also, JD Power gives a midrange rating in its 2018 US Auto Claims Satisfaction Study.
Keep in mind that these ratings include reviews for how State Farm handles both its personal and commercial insurance, so your experience as a business customer may vary.
How to contact State Farm
State Farm is available 24/7 for questions and concerns.
- In person. Make an in-person visit to your local representative’s office.
- Phone. Reach customer service at 855-733-7333.
- Online support. Log into your online account to pay bills and report or manage claims, or visit State Farm’s FAQs page for quick, convenient answers.
- Mobile app. Manage your account from your phone with the mobile app.
- Mail. Mail headquarters at:
- State Farm Insurance
- One State Farm Plaza
- Bloomington, IL 61710
Frequently asked questions
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.