State Farm car insurance review 2021
Long list of discounts and personalized support from this popular brand
finder.com's rating: 4.5 / 5
Bottom line: State Farm’s agent support can help you find the right policy, but your quotes and experience all depend on the agent you pick.
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months, Monthly|
|Claims methods||Online, Phone|
- Excellent rating and top choice in the US
- Full range of financial options
- Available in 50 states
- Higher prices than competition
- No live chat
- Expect hard upselling
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes, Up to 25%|
|Loyalty discount||Yes, up to 20%|
|Safety device discount||Yes, up to 40%|
|Special employment discount||No|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
State Farm is one of the highest-rated auto insurance companies in the country, and for good reason. It provides personalized service through its large agent network, and its online platform lets you buy coverage and file claims from the comfort of your home.
State Farm also offers a number of discounts and policy features to keep its rates and coverage competitive. If you’re looking for affordable auto insurance with great coverage and customer service, State Farm might be right for you.
But expertise may come with higher prices than you could find elsewhere. If you like the idea of a popular company offering lots of name-brand products, it’s worth comparing rates and options to other providers in your area.
How to apply for State Farm car insurance
Getting auto insurance coverage with State Farm can be done online, by phone or through an agent.
- Go to the State Farm website.
- Choose auto, enter your ZIP code and tap Get a quote.
- Enter your personal information, then continue.
- Add your vehicle information or VIN, then click Next.
- Enter driver information, then click Next.
- Enter details about your driving history and tap Next.
- Add contact and any other details, then click Next.
- Review and customize your policy. If you’re satisfied, submit the quote to your local agent or buy online.
- To buy online, review all final details, enter payment info and buy your policy.
Call 855-733-7333 to connect with an agent. They’ll walk you through the best coverage options for you.
Contact or visit a local agent’s office to find how to get coverage. This option lets you customize your policy and ask any questions.
What discounts can I get with State Farm?
State Farm offers a number of discounts to help customers lower their premiums:
- Accident-free. Stay claim free for three years back to back, even if you just switched to State Farm.
- Away at school. Get a discount if your student is under 25 and only drives during school vacations and holidays.
- Defensive driving. Take a defensive driving course or complete State Farm’s Steer Clear program, which tracks your driving to improve your abilities.
- Good student. Save up to 25% for your student’s good grades, and apply the savings after graduation until age 25.
- Multipolicy. Save up to 17% if you have State Farm homeowners, renters, condo, or life insurance.
- Multivehicle. Shave 20% off your premium when you insure several cars on the same policy.
- Safe car. Save up to 40% on medical coverage if your car was made after 1994. Get another discount if it’s equipped with anti-theft devices.
- Telematics. State Farm can track your driving through OnStar or its app, offering discounts for signing up and driving safely.
What car insurance coverage does State Farm offer?
State Farm offers complete coverage in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Coverage it offers:
- Car rental and travel expenses. Covers renting a car if your car needs repairs after an accident as well as covering meals, hotels and transportation if an accident happens away from home.
- Collision. Pays to repair or replace your car if it collides with another car or object like a guard rail.
- Comprehensive. Pays to repair or replace your car if it’s damaged by something other than a collision — including theft, fire or vandalism.
- Liability. Pays another person’s medical expenses, car repairs or property damage if you’re responsible for the accident.
- Medical payments. Pays medical and funeral costs if you or a passenger gets accident injuries.
- Rideshare. You can get coverage if you drive for Uber, Lyft or other rideshare services.
- Roadside and accident assistance. Get reimbursed for assistance, towing and labor costs and rental car coverage required after an accident.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist. Helps with medical bills if you’re injured by a driver with little to no liability insurance.
State Farm car insurance reviews and complaints
State Farm holds a solid A rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). However, about 1,350 BBB complaints were filed from 2018 to 2020, as of February 2021. Customers report denied claims, unwanted soliciting and unauthorized payments.
State Farm received 836 out of 1,000 points in J.D. Power’s 2020 car insurance study for its customer satisfaction in California. The score puts State Farm above the region’s average of 821 points.
However, in May 2017, the company faced legal action from California’s Insurance Commissioner for overcharged premiums. It issued refunds to almost 250,000 customers, totaling over $13 million.
Case study: Kelly’s experience
In August 2010, our car was swiped in a hit-and-run within two grand of its total life. Our rear bumper was smashed into our rear door, no damage to any other cars in sight.
It was late when I called State Farm’s claims number. But I got an agent nearly right away to guide us through the remarkably easy process. State Farm put us in touch with a local repair shop willing to tow our car for doctoring. We paid our deductible and picked up our newly polished car about two weeks later.
The best part: State Farm was willing to hear out my husband’s sleuthing about who the culprit might be. After haranguing the police to interview a sole witness — a night watchman at a nearby condo building who recorded a license plate number — we submitted the police report to our agent. With this info, our agent chased down the guy who ran off. To us, we’d done all we needed.
And then, on April 29, 2013, nearly three whole years later, we received a letter from State Farm along with a refund check for that deductible we paid years before: “We have recovered our payments from the responsible party.” They hadn’t stopped working on the case. That’s dedication.
Compare alternatives to State Farm
See how other companies’ benefits, coverage and cost compare with your State Farm quote. Check the Compare box to compare companies side by side.
How to find a State Farm agent near me
You can look for one of nearly 20,000 State Farm agents that live near you. To use the company’s handy agent locator tool:
- Click Find An Agent from the navigation on State Farm’s main website.
- Enter your ZIP code in the screen that pops up. Tap Find an Agent.
- Click on agencies from the map or scroll down to find each agent’s contact details.
- Choose your agent, then call or visit the office.
State Farm car insurance quotes
State Farm offers rates well below average for state minimum coverage in most states. You’ll pay an average of $400 to $500 in states like California and Texas, though rates go up if you live in New York city or state.
Compare sample monthly quotes for State Farm car insurance.
|18 year old man||$73||$1,012||$84|
|18 year old woman||$69||$855||$66|
|25 year old man||$48||$433||$50|
|25 year old woman||$44||$398||$34|
|35 year old man||$35||$244||$20|
|35 year old woman||$35||$244||$20|
|45 year old man||$34||$239||$20|
|45 year old woman||$53||$239||$20|
|56 year old man||$34||$213||$18|
|56 year old woman||$34||$213||$18|
How does State Farm bundling work?
State Farm hands out generous discounts when bundling policies with car insurance. State Farm claims that new customers save $850 a year when buying car and home insurance. Policies that you can bundle:
- Identity theft
- Umbrella liability
- Farm and ranch
Frequently asked questions about State Farm
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze the best car insurance providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you.