Long list of discounts and personalized support from one of the top insurers in the US
- Get a quote if you want convenient in-person and online support.
- Pick something else if you’re not offered a good rate.
- Drivers with a history of accidents or claims or who need an SR-22 can get coverage.
|States served||All 50 states|
|Pay schedule||6 months, monthly|
|Claims methods||online, email, phone, in-person|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Accident forgiveness||Yes (being loyal and accident free for at least 9 years)|
- Excellent rating and top choice in the US
- Full range of financial options
- Available in 50 states
- Higher prices than competition
- No live chat
- Expect hard upselling
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes, Up to 25%|
|Loyalty discount||Yes, up to 20%.|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||Vehicle safety discount – Up to 40%|
|Temporary & short term coverage||Yes|
Who is State Farm best for?
State Farm is one of the highest rated auto insurance providers in the country, and for good reason. Not only does it provide personalized service through its large network of agents, its online platform allows customers to purchase coverage and file claims from the comfort of their own home.
State Farm also offers a number of discounts and features on each of its policy options to help keep prices competitive. If you’re looking for affordable auto insurance with great coverage and customer service, State Farm might be right for you.
What car insurance coverage does State Farm offer?
State Farm offers complete coverage in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.
- Collision coverage. Helps pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it collides with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive coverage. Helps pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it’s damaged by something other than a collision — including theft, fire, vandalism or hitting an animal.
- Liability coverage. Pays another party’s medical expenses, vehicle repairs and property damage if you’re responsible for the accident.
- Car rental and travel expenses. Covers the cost of renting a replacement vehicle while your car is in the shop. Travel expense coverage helps pays for meals, lodging and transportation if you’re in an accident away from home.
- Uninsured motorists’ coverage. Helps pay for medical expenses if you’re injured in an accident caused by someone who doesn’t have liability insurance.
- Underinsured motorists’ coverage. If someone injures you in an accident, their liability insurance should pay your medical expenses. But if the other person doesn’t have enough liability insurance, this coverage can help.
- Medical payment expenses. Helps pay medical and funeral expenses if an insured person is injured or killed in an accident.
- Roadside and accident assistance. Get reimbursed for assistance, towing and labor costs and rental car coverage required after an accident.
- Rideshare coverage. Get coverage if you drive for Uber, Lyft or other rideshare services.
What extra benefits does State Farm offer?
- Select Service. State Farm has access to a network of partners that can help you get back on the road in no time. Repairs are guaranteed for life and the company can even pick up and drop off your vehicle.
- Steer Clear. State Farm’s Steer Clear program encourages drivers to improve their abilities and it offers a discount for completing the program.
- Drive Safe & Save. State Farm can track your driving habits through OnStar or mobile app. Receive a discount for signing up, and additional discounts depending on how you drive.
- Mobile app. State Farm has a number of mobile apps that customer can use to pay bills, improve their driving and more.
- Car shopping service. State Farm partners with Edmunds to help customers find the best vehicle on their budget.
What discounts can I get with State Farm?
State Farm offers competitive pricing on a suite of auto insurance options. It also provides a number of discounts to help customers reduce their premiums:
- Accident-free discount. Receive a discount when your vehicle has been insured by State Farm for three or more consecutive years without a chargeable accident.
- Defensive driving discount. You may be able to get a discount for taking a defensive driving course.
- Away at school discount. Get discounted rates If one of your insured drivers is a student under the age of 25 living at school and only drives the vehicle while at home during school vacations and holidays.
- Good driving discount. New customers can get a discount if they’ve gone at least three years without moving violations or at-fault accidents.
- Driver training discount. You may be able to get a discount if all operators of your vehicle under the age of 21 complete an approved driver education course.
- Good student discount. Students can save up to 25% just for getting good grades. Savings still apply after graduation, up until the age of 25.
- Vehicle safety discount. You may be able to save up to 40% on medical coverage if your vehicle was made after 1994.
- Anti-theft discount. Get a discount if your insured vehicle is equipped with anti-theft devices.
- Multi-vehicle discount. Save up to 20% when you insure more than one vehicle under the same policy, providing that the owners of the vehicles are related.
- Multi-line discount. Save up to 17% if you have homeowners, renters, condo, or life insurance with State Farm.
- Drive Safe & Save. State Farm can track your driving habits through OnStar or a mobile app. Receive a discount for signing up, and additional discounts depending on how you drive.
- High-risk auto insurance. State Farm is able to insure drivers who have a less than perfect driving record. If you’re considered a high-risk driver, speak with an agent for more details.
Pros and cons of State Farm car insurance
- A.M. Best A++ rating. With more than $15 billion in assets, State Farm affirms its superior ability to meet its ongoing insurance obligations.
- Biggest company for car insurance. State Farm is the top choice in the US, with agents in just about any ZIP code.
- Wide selection of policies. From basic liability to comprehensive coverage and even rideshare insurance, State Farm has it all.
- Higher prices than its competition. JD Powers reports that State Farm tends to be more expensive than other options.
- Inconsistent service. Since State Farm’s products are sold through a massive network of agents, your experience may vary.
- Expect hard upselling. Because it offers so many products, State Farm trains its exclusive agents to encourage upgrades and add-ons. You’ll have to do your own legwork for price comparisons.
How to apply for State Farm car insurance
Getting auto insurance coverage with State Farm can be done online, by phone or through an agent.
- Visit the State Farm website, select auto, enter your zip code and click “Get a quote”.
- Enter your personal information, then continue to the next step.
- Add your vehicle information (Year, make, model) or VIN, then click next.
- Enter driver information, then click next.
- Enter information about your driving history, then click next.
- Add contact information and any other details, then click next.
- Review and customize your policy options. If you’re satisfied, click to send the quote to your local agent or proceed to the next step.
- If you chose to buy online, review all final details, enter payment details, then purchase your policy.
Phone. Call 855-733-7333 to get connected to an agent. They can walk you through the process and get you the coverage you need.
Agent. Visit the State Farm website, scroll to the bottom and enter your zip code to find your nearest agents. Contact or visit them to find out how to get coverage.
What do customers say about State Farm?
State Farm is not officially accredited on the BBB website, but it does hold a B+ rating. Despite its decent rating, there are nearly 1,500 customer complaints about the company. Customers report issues with denied claims, unwanted soliciting, unauthorized payments, and more.
In May of 2017, the company faced legal action from California’s Insurance Commissioner for overcharged premiums. It was ordered to issue refunds to almost 250,000 consumers, totaling over $13 million.
Keep in mind that your experience may differ from the reviews you read online. Most customers won’t leave a review unless their experience was overly negative, which is why there are often so many more complaints than positive reviews.
How to contact State Farm
There are a variety of ways you can reach State Farm. Visit the Contact Us page on the State Farm website to find more information on how to contact the company through the following methods:
General inquiries: 800-782-8332
Roadside assistance: 877-627-5757
State Farm Insurance Companies
Insurance Support Center – East
P.O. Box 588002
North Metro, GA 30029
- Online comment form
- Contact your agent directly. Visit the Find Agent page for more details.
Alternatives to State Farm
State Farm is the largest insurance company in the country, and it’s good at what it does. But expertise may come with higher prices than you could find elsewhere. If you like the idea of a popular company offering lots of name-brand products, it’s worth comparing rates and options to other providers in your area.