State Farm car insurance review Aug 2020
Long list of discounts and personalized support from this popular brand
finder.com's rating: 4.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you want convenient in-person and online support.
- Pick something else if you’re not offered a good rate.
- Drivers with a history of accidents or claims or who need an SR-22 can get coverage.
- Start your policy today at 877-745-0232.
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months, Monthly|
|Claims methods||Online, Phone|
|New car protection||Yes|
- Excellent rating and top choice in the US
- Full range of financial options
- Available in 50 states
- Higher prices than competition
- No live chat
- Expect hard upselling
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes, Up to 25%|
|Loyalty discount||Yes, up to 20%|
|Safety device discount||Yes, up to 40%|
|Special employment discount||No|
Jing Jun Ma is an innovations expert at Finder. With a decade of experience in digital marketing and programming, Jing is a tech and data guy. He wrangles data to make it useful for consumers facing a decision.
State Farm is one of the highest rated auto insurance providers in the country, and for good reason. Not only does it provide personalized service through its large network of agents, its online platform allows customers to purchase coverage and file claims from the comfort of their own home.
State Farm also offers a number of discounts and features on each of its policy options to help keep prices competitive. If you’re looking for affordable auto insurance with great coverage and customer service, State Farm might be right for you.
But expertise may come with higher prices than you could find elsewhere. If you like the idea of a popular company offering lots of name-brand products, it’s worth comparing rates and options to other providers in your area.
State Farm car insurance quotes
Compare sample annual quotes for State Farm car insurance.
|18 year old male||$880||$12,144||$1,012|
|18 year old female||$830||$10,259||$790|
|25 year old male||$576||$5,194||$596|
|25 year old female||$526||$4,774||$413|
|35 year old male||$424||$2,927||$239|
|35 year old female||$424||$2,927||$239|
|45 year old male||$413||$2,871||$234|
|45 year old female||$639||$2,871||$234|
|56 year old male||$409||$2,551||$215|
|56 year old female||$409||$2,551||$215|
What car insurance coverage does State Farm offer?
State Farm offers complete coverage in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.
- Car rental and travel expenses. Covers the cost of renting a replacement vehicle while your car is in the shop. Travel expense coverage helps pays for meals, lodging and transportation if you’re in an accident away from home.
- Collision and comprehensive. Collision pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it collides with another vehicle or object. Comprehensive helps pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it’s damaged by something other than a collision — including theft, fire, vandalism or hitting an animal.
- Liability coverage. Pays another party’s medical expenses, vehicle repairs and property damage if you’re responsible for the accident.
- Medical payment expenses. Helps pay medical and funeral expenses if an insured person is injured or killed in an accident.
- Rideshare coverage. Get coverage if you drive for Uber, Lyft or other rideshare services.
- Roadside and accident assistance. Get reimbursed for assistance, towing and labor costs and rental car coverage required after an accident.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. Helps pay for medical expenses if you’re injured in an accident caused by someone who doesn’t have liability insurance, or doesn’t have enough.
What discounts can I get with State Farm?
State Farm offers competitive pricing on a suite of auto insurance options. It also provides a number of discounts to help customers reduce their premiums:
- Accident-free. Receive a discount when your vehicle has been insured by State Farm for three or more consecutive years without a chargeable accident. New customers can get a discount if they’ve gone at least three years without moving violations or at-fault accidents.
- Away at school. Get discounted rates If one of your insured drivers is a student under the age of 25 living at school and only drives the vehicle while at home during school vacations and holidays.
- Defensive driving. You may be able to get a discount for taking a defensive driving course. State Farm’s Steer Clear program also encourages drivers to improve their abilities, and it offers a discount for completing the program.
- Good student. Students can save up to 25% just for getting good grades. Savings still apply after graduation, up until the age of 25.
- Multipolicy. Save up to 17% if you have homeowners, renters, condo, or life insurance with State Farm.
- Multivehicle. Save up to 20% when you insure more than one vehicle under the same policy, providing that the owners of the vehicles are related.
- Safe car. You may be able to save up to 40% on medical coverage if your vehicle was made after 1994. Get another discount if your insured vehicle is equipped with anti-theft devices.
- Telematics. State Farm can track your driving habits through OnStar or a mobile app. Receive a discount for signing up, and additional discounts depending on how you drive.
How does State Farm bundling work?
State Farm graces customers with a generous discount up to 17% when bundling policies with car insurance. Other companies might offer 10% or less on one or both policies. On average, new customers save around $850 per year when buying State Farm car and home insurance, according to its website.
If you want to take advantage of this savings, bundle your car insurance with:
Other insurance products you can buy with State Farm include:
- Farm and ranch
- Boat or RV
- Personal belongings
- Personal liability
More State Farm insurance guides
Pros and cons of State Farm car insurance
- Biggest company for car insurance. State Farm is the top choice in the US, with agents in just about any ZIP code.
- Wide selection of policies. From basic liability to comprehensive coverage and even rideshare insurance, State Farm has it all.
- High-risk auto insurance. State Farm is able to insure drivers who have a less than perfect driving record. If you’re considered a high-risk driver, speak with an agent for more details.
- Higher prices than its competition. J.D. Power reports that State Farm tends to be more expensive than other options.
- Inconsistent service. Since State Farm’s products are sold through a massive network of agents, your experience may vary.
- Expect hard upselling. Because it offers so many products, State Farm trains its exclusive agents to encourage upgrades and add-ons. You’ll have to do your own legwork for price comparisons.
Compare alternatives to State Farm
How to apply for State Farm car insurance
Getting auto insurance coverage with State Farm can be done online, by phone or through an agent.
- Go to the State Farm website.
- Select auto, enter your ZIP code and click Get a quote.
- Enter your personal information, then continue to the next step.
- Add your vehicle information or VIN, then click Next.
- Enter driver information, then click Next.
- Enter information about your driving history, then click Next.
- Add contact information and any other details, then click Next.
- Review and customize your policy options. If you’re satisfied, click to send the quote to your local agent or proceed to the next step.
- If you chose to buy online, review all final details, enter payment details, then purchase your policy.
Call 855-733-7333 to get connected to an agent. They can walk you through the process and get you the coverage you need.
Visit the State Farm website, scroll to the bottom and enter your ZIP code to find your nearest agents. Contact or visit them to find out how to get coverage.
State Farm reviews and complaints
State Farm is not officially accredited on the BBB website, but it does hold an A+ rating. Despite its decent rating, there are nearly 1,400 customer complaints about the company over the past 3 years as of February 2020. Customers report issues with denied claims, unwanted soliciting, unauthorized payments, and more.
J.D. Power gave State Farm 824 points on a 1,000-point scale in 2019 for overall customer satisfaction in the California Region. That puts State Farm above average for a company of its size.
In May of 2017, the company faced legal action from California’s Insurance Commissioner for overcharged premiums. It was ordered to issue refunds to almost 250,000 consumers, totaling over $13 million.
Other comparison sites like NerdWallet and The Balance have similarly mixed reviews, noting you’ll find wide coverage but spotty support and claims experience.
How to contact State Farm
There are a variety of ways you can reach State Farm. Visit the Contact us page on the State Farm website to find more information on how to contact the company through the following methods:
General inquiries: 800-782-8332
Roadside assistance: 877-627-5757
State Farm Insurance Companies, Insurance Support Center – East, P.O. Box 588002, North Metro, GA 30029
Go to the State Farm website and use its online comment form
How do I find a State Farm agent near me?
You can look for one of nearly 20,000 State Farm agents that live near you, using the company’s handy agent locator. To find an agent:
- Click Find An Agent from the navigation on State Farm’s main website.
- Enter your ZIP code in the screen that pops up. Tap Find an Agent.
- Click on agencies from the map or scroll down to find each agent’s contact details.
- Choose your agent, then call or visit the office in person.
Frequently asked questions about State Farm
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze the best car insurance providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you.