State Farm car insurance review Oct 2020
Long list of discounts and personalized support from this popular brand
finder.com's rating: 4.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you want convenient in-person and online support.
- Pick something else if you’re not offered a good rate.
- Start your policy today at 877-745-0232.
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months, Monthly|
|Claims methods||Online, Phone|
- Excellent rating and top choice in the US
- Full range of financial options
- Available in 50 states
- Higher prices than competition
- No live chat
- Expect hard upselling
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes, Up to 25%|
|Loyalty discount||Yes, up to 20%|
|Safety device discount||Yes, up to 40%|
|Special employment discount||No|
Jing Jun Ma is an innovations expert at Finder. With a decade of experience in digital marketing and programming, Jing is a tech and data guy. He wrangles data to make it useful for consumers facing a decision.
State Farm is one of the highest rated auto insurance providers in the country, and for good reason. Not only does it provide personalized service through its large network of agents, its online platform allows customers to purchase coverage and file claims from the comfort of their own home.
State Farm also offers a number of discounts and features on each of its policy options to help keep prices competitive. If you’re looking for affordable auto insurance with great coverage and customer service, State Farm might be right for you.
But expertise may come with higher prices than you could find elsewhere. If you like the idea of a popular company offering lots of name-brand products, it’s worth comparing rates and options to other providers in your area.
What's in this guide?
- State Farm car insurance quotes
- How to apply for State Farm car insurance
- How to find a State Farm agent near me
- What discounts can I get with State Farm?
- What car insurance coverage does State Farm offer?
- How does State Farm bundling work?
- State Farm car insurance reviews and complaints
- Pros and cons of State Farm car insurance
- Compare alternatives to State Farm
- Frequently asked questions about State Farm
State Farm car insurance quotes
Compare sample monthly quotes for State Farm car insurance.
|18 year old male||$73||$1,012||$84|
|18 year old female||$69||$855||$66|
|25 year old male||$48||$433||$50|
|25 year old female||$44||$398||$34|
|35 year old male||$35||$244||$20|
|35 year old female||$35||$244||$20|
|45 year old male||$34||$239||$20|
|45 year old female||$53||$239||$20|
|56 year old male||$34||$213||$18|
|56 year old female||$34||$213||$18|
How to apply for State Farm car insurance
Getting auto insurance coverage with State Farm can be done online, by phone or through an agent.
- Go to the State Farm website.
- Select auto, enter your ZIP code and click Get a quote.
- Enter your personal information, then continue to the next step.
- Add your vehicle information or VIN, then click Next.
- Enter driver information, then click Next.
- Enter information about your driving history, then click Next.
- Add contact information and any other details, then click Next.
- Review and customize your policy options. If you’re satisfied, click to send the quote to your local agent or proceed to the next step.
- If you chose to buy online, review all final details, enter payment details, then purchase your policy.
Call 855-733-7333 to get connected to an agent. They can walk you through the process and get you the coverage you need.
You can contact or visit a local agent’s office to find out how to get coverage. This option helps you customize your policy to your exact needs and ask any insurance questions you may have.
How to find a State Farm agent near me
You can look for one of nearly 20,000 State Farm agents that live near you. To use the company’s handy agent locator tool:
- Click Find An Agent from the navigation on State Farm’s main website.
- Enter your ZIP code in the screen that pops up. Tap Find an Agent.
- Click on agencies from the map or scroll down to find each agent’s contact details.
- Choose your agent, then call or visit the office in person.
What discounts can I get with State Farm?
State Farm offers a number of discounts to help customers lower their premiums:
- Accident-free. Snag a discount when you stay claim free for three years back-to-back, even if you just switched to State Farm with a claim-free history.
- Away at school. Get discounted rates if your student driver is under 25 and only drives at home during school vacations and holidays.
- Defensive driving. Save money for taking a defensive driving course or completing State Farm’s Steer Clear program, which tracks your driving to improve your abilities.
- Good student. Students save up to 25% for getting good grades, and the savings apply after graduation until age 25.
- Multipolicy. Save up to 17% if you have homeowners, renters, condo, or life insurance with State Farm.
- Multivehicle. Shave 20% off your premium when you insure more than one car under the same policy.
- Safe car. You could save up to 40% on medical coverage if your vehicle was made after 1994. Get another discount if your insured vehicle is equipped with anti-theft devices.
- Telematics. State Farm can track your driving habits through OnStar or its app, offering discounts for signing up and driving safely.
What car insurance coverage does State Farm offer?
State Farm offers complete coverage in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Coverage it offers:
- Car rental and travel expenses. Covers the cost of renting a replacement car while yours is in the shop after an accident. Travel expense coverage pays for meals, hotels and transportation if an accident happens away from home.
- Collision. Collision pays to repair or replace your vehicle if it collides with another car or object like a guard rail.
- Comprehensive. Comprehensive pays to repair or replace your car if it’s damaged by something other than a collision — including theft, fire, vandalism or hitting an animal.
- Liability. Pays another person’s medical expenses, car repairs or property damage if you’re responsible for the accident.
- Medical payments. Pays medical and funeral expenses if you or a passenger is injured in an accident.
- Rideshare. You can get coverage if you drive for Uber, Lyft or other rideshare services.
- Roadside and accident assistance. Get reimbursed for assistance, towing and labor costs and rental car coverage required after an accident.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. Helps pay for medical expenses if you’re injured in an accident caused by someone who doesn’t have liability insurance, or doesn’t have enough.
How does State Farm bundling work?
State Farm graces customers with a generous discount when bundling policies with car insurance. State Farm claims that new customers save around $850 per year when buying its car and home insurance. Policies that you can bundle:
- Identity theft
- Umbrella liability
- Farm and ranch
More State Farm insurance guides
State Farm car insurance reviews and complaints
State Farm holds an A rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). Despite its decent rating, nearly 1,362 customer have filed BBB complaints about the company over the past 3 years as of October 2020. Customers report issues with denied claims, unwanted soliciting and unauthorized payments.
J.D. Power gave State Farm 836 points on a 1,000-point scale in 2019 for overall customer satisfaction in the California Region. That puts State Farm above average for a company of its size.
However, in May 2017, the company faced legal action from California’s Insurance Commissioner for overcharged premiums. It issued refunds to almost 250,000 consumers, totaling over $13 million.
Other comparison sites like NerdWallet and The Balance have similarly mixed reviews, noting you’ll find wide coverage but spotty support and claims experience.
Statefarm user reviews
Pros and cons of State Farm car insurance
- Biggest company for car insurance. State Farm is the top choice in the US for car insurance, with agents in just about any ZIP code.
- Wide selection of policies. From basic liability to comprehensive coverage and even rideshare insurance, State Farm has it all.
- High-risk auto insurance. State Farm can insure drivers with a less-than-perfect driving record. If you’re considered a high-risk driver, speak with an agent for more details.
- Higher prices than its competition. J.D. Power reports that State Farm tends to be more expensive than other options.
- Inconsistent service. Since State Farm’s products are sold through a massive network of agents, your experience may vary.
- Expect hard upselling. Because it offers so many products, State Farm trains its exclusive agents to encourage upgrades and add-ons. You’ll have to do your own legwork for price comparisons.
Compare alternatives to State Farm
See how other companies’ benefits, coverage and cost compares with your State Farm quote. Check the Compare box to compare up to four companies side by side.
Alternatives to State Farm
Frequently asked questions about State Farm
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze the best car insurance providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you.