Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Compare State Farm car insurance discounts
It might not have the most discounts, but the ones it offers could provide big savings.
State Farm is the largest auto insurance company in the country, but its list of auto insurance discounts is fairly standard. Still, some of its discounts are bigger than the competition — especially for new drivers — so you might be able to take advantage of these to maximize your savings with State Farm’s car insurance.
What discounts can I get from State Farm?
Compare some of the most common discounts that you can get on your auto insurance with State Farm. Some discounts may be unavailable based on your state, so check with an agent before you commit to a policy.
- Accident-free. Receive a discount of up to 10% when your vehicle has been insured by State Farm for three or more consecutive years without an accident.
- Antitheft. Get a discount if your insured vehicle is equipped with antitheft devices.
- Bundling. If you have more than an auto policy with State Farm, you could receive up to a 17% discount. This could include a homeowners, renters, farm, commercial or life insurance policy.
- Defensive driving. You may be able to receive up to a 10% discount for completing an approved defensive driving course.
- Distant student. If you have a student on your policy who is under the age of 25 and lives at school without a vehicle, you can receive this discount on the vehicle the student drives while they’re at home. The discount amount varies but is typically between 10% and 20%.
- Driver training. You could receive this discount if all drivers under the age of 21 who are on your policy complete an approved driver education course.
- Good driving. You can get a discount of up to 10% if you haven’t had any accidents or violations in the last three years and are a new State Farm customer.
- Good student. Students can save up to 25% for getting at least a B average in school. This discount stays on your policy even after graduation, up until the age of 25.
- Multivehicle. You can save up to 20% on each vehicle’s rates when you insure more than one vehicle under the same policy.
- Steer Clear. This program encourages young drivers under age 25 to improve their driving skills by teaching safe driving practices. It offers a discount upon successful completion, though it does require drivers to have a three-year safe driving record before enrolling.
- Telematics. State Farm’s Drive Safe & Save program tracks certain aspects of your driving, such as how hard you brake and how fast you accelerate. You’ll receive a 5% discount simply for signing up, and a final discount of anywhere between 5% and 50% on each vehicle that completes the program.
- Vehicle safety. You may be able to save up to 40% on medical payments or personal injury protection coverage if your vehicle was built after 1994.
How much can I save with State Farm?
You could save well over 30% by switching to State Farm, especially if you score well on the Drive Safe & Save program. However, discounts will only lower your premiums rather than eliminate them — insurance companies must collect premiums in order to keep funds available to pay out claims.
Keep in mind that State Farm usually isn’t known for having the lowest rates. It focuses more on customer service through its network of agents, and on being a trustworthy brand. State Farm could have more competitive rates for many people, especially if you have young drivers who are eligible for the good student discount and can complete the Steer Clear safe driving program.
How do State Farm’s discounts compare to other insurers?
State Farm’s discounts are fairly standard compared to other large auto insurance companies. But it’s missing a few key discounts, like providing paperless billing or paying online options.
It’s particularly strong with its discounts for young drivers, though there are qualifications. Students that earn good grades or live away from home without a car could earn you a big discount. State Farm’s Steer Clear program is especially good for young drivers who qualify, as it gives a discount and provides valuable learning experience.
State Farm’s telematics program, Drive Safe & Save, is also larger than most other insurance companies. While most drivers will never earn close to 50%, it is possible and is much higher than the standard 20% to 30% maximum savings from most other insurers.
Looking for more discounts? Compare alternatives to State Farm
State Farm’s strong reputation has helped it become the country’s largest auto insurance company. Its strong lineup of discounts could help offset its higher rates if your initial quote is too high.
To see how State Farm compares with other companies, you can read about other insurance companies and their various discount programs.
Frequently asked questions about State Farm’s discounts
Ask an Expert