State Farm auto loans review
Financing up to $250,000 for your next car, boat, RV or travel trailer.
This insurance provider can do more than just protect your home and car in an accident. State Farm offers loans for cars and other vehicles at financing up to $250,000 and APRs starting of 4.64%. But online applications aren’t available in every state — you may have to speak to a local agent to apply.
Min. Loan Amount
Max. Loan Amount
Starting at 4.64%
First, am I eligible?
To get a loan from State Farm you must:
- Not be a resident of Massachusetts or Rhode Island.
- Be a US citizen or permanent resident.
- Be at least 18 years old.
What makes State Farm unique?
You may know State Farm by its insurance commercials, but it offers more than that. Beyond insurance and banking, you can finance your next vehicle purchase through State Farm, including both new and used cars, motorcycles, boats, RVs and travel trailers. If you’re looking to buyout a lease or refinance a loan, you’ll need to contact a local representative for rates for these services.
What types of auto loans does State Farm finance?
State Farm offers loans between $5,000 and $250,000 for new or used cars and boats, and $40,000 for motorcycles.
|Loan type||Minimum APR||Loan term|
|New car, truck, van or SUV||3.54%||12–84 months|
|Used car, truck, van or SUV||4.29%||12–72 months|
|New boat, RV or travel trailer||4.64%||12–240 months|
|Used boat, RV or travel trailer||5.19%||12–48 months|
|New motorcycle||6.24%||12–72 months|
|Used motorcycle||6.84%||12–60 months|
What are the benefits of a vehicle loan from State Farm?
- High maximum loan amount. If you have your eye on an expensive vehicle, like a new car to a luxury RV, you can apply for a loan from State Farm for up to $250,000.
- State Farm Bank Payoff Protector. Automatically included with all vehicle loans, Payoff Protector cancels the outstanding balance on your loan if your vehicle is deemed a total loss by an insurance company.
- Wide range of vehicles. You aren’t just limited to cars with State Farm. You can also finance anything from a boat to a motorcycle.
- Loyalty discounts. If you already bank with State Farm, you might be eligible for a rate discount.
What to watch out for
- Prepayment penalty. State Farm charges a fee of $100 for any loan paid off within the first 12 months.
- Limits to mileage. To be covered by a loan, your vehicle must not have more than 150,000 miles or have been driven more than 50,000 miles per vehicle year.
- Online application restrictions. You won’t be able to apply for a lease buyout or private party loan through the State Farm online application, and some states don’t have access to the online application.
- Prequalification, not preapproval. While you can prequalify for rates and terms before shopping around, they aren’t guaranteed until you submit the full application.
Compare car loan providers
What do customers say about State Farm?
State Farm has mostly poor customer reviews as of June 2019. It’s not accredited or rated by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and it gets just over 1 out of 5 states based on nearly 250 customer reviews. It fairs even worse on Trustpilot, earning a Trustscore of only 3 out of 10.
However, the vast majority of comments are about its insurance products, not its car loans. However, many customers were upset about the quality of customer service, which could also affect borrowers.
How do I apply?
If you want to apply online, follow the steps below. Keep in mind that only residents of Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Maryland, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Vermont, West Virginia and Washington, DC can fill out the online application. Other applicants must contact a local State Farm representative instead.
- Go to the State Farm site, click Menu in the upper left-hand corner and then select Vehicle Loans.
- Enter your ZIP code on the loan page.
- Sign in to your State Farm account or continue as a guest.
- Select the type of loan you’re requesting, as well as your vehicle type and year.
- Enter your address, name, date of birth, Social Security number, email and phone number.
- Enter information about your employment, income and housing.
- Select if you’re applying by yourself, with a cosigner, as joint credit or as joint credit with a cosigner.
- Read over the terms and conditions, agree and submit your application.
If you choose to add a cosigner or coapplicant, you will need to enter their basic information and give permission for State Farm to contact them about the application.
How to apply step-by-step with screenshots
What documents do I need to apply?
To complete your application, you and your cosigner or coapplicant need to provide the information listed below.
- Your name, date of birth, address, Social Security number and phone number.
- Your monthly housing payment and whether you rent or own.
- Your employment status, time at current employer and employer’s contact information.
- Your monthly or yearly income and its sources.
- The make, model, VIN number and mileage of the vehicle you’re looking to buy.
If refinancing, you need to provide State Farm with your remaining loan balance and information about your current lender.
What happens after I’m approved for a vehicle loan?
After you’re approved and have received your funds, it’s time to start paying down your loan balance. State Farm allows its borrowers to make payments online, over the phone, by mail or through wire transfer services like MoneyGram or Western Union.
You’ll be on the hook for late fees if you’re more than 10 days late on a payment. The exact amount varies based on your loan terms, so check your promissory note, coupon book or online account for more information.
Keep an eye on your loan balance and your bank account, and if you notice anything off, reach out to State Farm as soon as possible by calling 844-619-8906.
More about State Farm
Best known for its insurance products, State Farm has been around since 1922. It was founded by former farmer and insurance salesman George Jacob “G.J.” Mecherle as a car insurance company. Now it offers over 100 products and hits number 36 on the Fortune 500 list of largest companies in the US. It’s currently the largest car and home insurance provider in the country.
State Farm offers competitive rates and high loan amounts for people looking to finance their next vehicle, either on the road or in the water. Depending on where you live, however, you may not be able to apply online. And its prepayment penalties may be a turnoff if you were hoping to try to pay off your loan within a year.
Before settling on a lender, compare your car loan options to make sure you find the best one for your needs.
Interested in State Farm car insurance? Read our review.
Frequently asked questions
Image Source: shutterstock and statefarm.com