Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare SR-22 motorcycle insurance
Get the proof of insurance that you need to clear your driving record.
SR-22 motorcycle insurance is actually not an insurance policy in itself. An SR-22 is simply a form that proves you’re meeting your state’s insurance requirements, and needing an SR-22 can limit which insurance companies agree to cover you and your bike. An SR-22 is also known as an SR-22 bond or certificate of financial responsibility (CFR).
How do I get motorcycle insurance that offers SR-22s?
Not every motorcycle insurance company will agree to insure you if you need an SR-22, and you also need to find a company that will file the SR-22 form with your state.
The basic process of getting motorcycle insurance when you need proof of insurance:
- Get quotes or update your policy. Call your current insurer about needing proof of insurance and add the requirement to your policy. If your insurer drops you or you’re curious about lower premiums, you can get online quotes from new insurers.
- Find which companies offer SR-22s. Explain that you need an SR-22 during the quote process or checkmark the SR-22 box during online quotes. If you’re not sure that the company offers SR-22s, talk to a representative to add the SR-22.
- File the SR-22 form. Once you find or update your motorcycle policy, the insurance company then files the required proof with your state. You might see higher rates after updating your insurance.
- Check how long you need the SR-22 on your policy. This may be specified by the judge or DMV.
How do I file an SR-22 if I don’t own the motorcycle?
You can purchase a non-owner motorcycle insurance policy from a company that files SR-22 forms. This type of policy gives you the proper liability coverage while you’re riding other people’s motorcycles.
Why did my motorcycle insurance premium go up?
Adding an SR-22 may raise your premium because the insurance company considers you a high-risk driver. For example, the average insurance increase for a DUI is over $1,200, but your actual rate increase could be more or less depending on the reason for the SR-22.
How to compare motorcycle insurance with SR-22 coverage
While you might weigh the cost of SR-22 motorcycle coverage as a main factor, consider multiple features that your insurance company offers to find the right policy.
- Rates. Since your premiums may cost significantly more than before, what an insurer charges for coverage may play a major role in your decision.
- Customer service. Consider which companies see the highest ratings from customer reviews and comparison sites like the Better Business Bureau and Trustpilot.
- Complaint score. You also can see how many complaints get filed with an insurance company through the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) website. This gives you a feel for how helpful the company will be when filing your SR-22 or an accident claim.
- Discounts and programs. The best SR-22 insurers give you opportunities to save, such as enrolling in a safe driving program or offering discounts for taking a defensive driving course.
Compare motorcycle insurance companies that offer SR-22s
Why do I need an SR-22 from my motorcycle insurance?
You may be required to file an SR-22 to regain your full driver’s license if you have committed a violation, like a DUI or driving uninsured. If so, you’ll be notified by a judge during court or by your state’s DMV.
Reasons you may need an SR-22 include:
- Driving uninsured
- Driving with a suspended license
- Getting a DUI or DWI
- Multiple driving violations
- Reckless driving
What happens if my SR-22 insurance policy lapses?
Your insurance company is required to report any lapses in coverage for SR-22 drivers. You may receive additional consequences from your state, such as getting your license suspended or needing to file proof of insurance for a longer timeframe.
Case study: How motorcycle insurance works with an SR-22
David was riding his motorcycle on the highway when a car hit him at an intersection. He bought the motorcycle a few months before but hadn’t purchased insurance for it. Though the accident wasn’t his fault, his lack of coverage came to light in the police report.
David received a statement from the DMV that he was required to file an SR-22 for three years. He applied for motorcycle insurance and added the SR-22 requirement to his policy. His company filed the proper form with the state, but his insurance rate was higher than average due to his driving violation.
What’s not covered?
You can still get a standard motorcycle policy if you need an SR-22. However, you may not qualify for coverage by all insurance companies, limiting your choice of provider.
You also might not qualify for certain discounts and benefits, like safe driving discounts, claims-free policy and accident forgiveness.
If you’re required to show proof of insurance to your state, you can usually add an SR-22 to a new or existing motorcycle policy. Your insurance company files the required form for you. However, because you’re now considered a high-risk driver, you may have a harder time finding an insurer and will see an increase in your premium.
Compare motorcycle insurance providers who offer SR-22 coverage to find the best deal for you.
More guides on Finder
Lemonade car insurance review for 2021
Safe drivers and electric car owners could see cheap rates, but its claims process isn’t perfect.
How much does umbrella insurance cost?
Get a low-cost policy for liability expenses that exceed your car or home insurance coverage.
Best umbrella insurance
Receive extra liability coverage with an umbrella policy from these top insurers, though they may require you to have car insurance through them.
Most dangerous roads in the USA
Do you drive on one of the 30 most dangerous interstates, highways and state routes?
Guardian vision insurance review May 2021
Get a generous allowance to put towards contact lenses or frames with this plan.
Everlywell COVID-19 test kit review
Get your results within two business days, and book a free telehealth consult if you test positive.
How to start a cleaning business
From making a business plan and getting insurance to marketing and setting your prices — here’s how to start your own cleaning business.
Guardian dental insurance review 2021
This insurer has four dental plans to choose from — compare costs and features now.
Texas disaster assistance for the 2021 Winter Storm
Here’s where to get financial help for yourself and your business if you’ve been affected by the storm in February 2021.
Should you sell on Poshmark or Tradesy?
Compare pros and cons of selling on Poshmark vs. Tradesy to help you get the most for your secondhand clothing, shoes and accessories.
Ask an Expert