It’s not the most affordable or simplest to use, but this site builder is among the best.
If you’re a business owner searching for a new e-commerce platform, Squarespace has plenty to offer. With tiers that start at under $20 a month, the software is bursting with features. Though there’s no option to call for help if you run into trouble.
- Choose Squarespace if you need a powerful platform with advanced e-commerce options.
- Consider something else if you’re looking for a simple, bare-bones website builder.
- Current offer: 14-day free trial and business owners can save up to 30% on annual plans.
What's in this review?
Squarespace offers a robust set of services for business owners, especially when it comes to e-commerce.
- Customizable templates. Sell physical or digital products, as well as professional services, in style through an assortment of creative templates.
- Inventory management. Add, edit and remove items from your store’s inventory from a single, centralized dashboard.
- Device friendly. Responsive design ensures your store looks stunning on any size screen.
- Payment gateways. Process customer payments through PayPal, Square, Stripe and Apple Pay.
- Integrated sales tools. Plans include a built-in shipping calculator and tax tools.
This software provides owners of online stores with:
- Advanced blogging tools. Build and position your blog to promote your latest products and services.
- Integrations and extensions. Squarespace plays nicely with dozens of popular web services, including Twitter, Instagram, Mailchimp and YouTube.
- Bulk product importing. Easily upload your entire catalog from Etsy, Shopify or Big Cartel.
- Block or code embeds. Edit in embed images, videos, audio clips, PayPal buttons and more.
- Email marketing. Stay top-of-mind with customers through eye-catching email campaigns.
Squarespace pricing and fees
Squarespace offers four distinct plans based on your unique needs.
|Personal||Business||Basic Commerce||Advance Commerce|
Includes all features of Personal, plus:
Includes all features of Business, plus:
Includes all features of Basic Commerce, plus:
How much technical experience do I need?
Although Squarespace is widely considered one of the best website builders available, it’s also among the most challenging to learn. If this is your first experience creating an online presence, prepare to face a steep learning curve. Depending on how complex you want your site to be, it could take several hours — or several days — to design the e-commerce store of your dreams.
Fortunately, Squarespace is a hosted provider, meaning you won’t have to deal with the hassle of installing software on your own server. Before getting started, though, we recommend attending one of Squarespace’s free, weekly webinars to familiarize yourself with the platform.
How do I contact Squarespace support?
Squarespace doesn’t provide a phone number that users can call for help. Instead, you have three ways to find answers if you get stuck:
- Email. Email support is available 24/7, with Redditors reporting responses within hours.
- Live chat. Support reps are available via chat weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. ET.
- Community forum. Find answers to commonly asked questions in Squarespace’s extensive support forum.
What design options does it have?
Squarespace offers roughly 100 professionally designed templates organized into 15 categories that include online stores, local businesses, nonprofits, professional services and restaurants.
Each template is fully customizable, meaning you can modify colors, menus, fonts and buttons to your liking.
Note that the latest version of Squarespace — version 7.1 — doesn’t appear to allow users to switch templates without rebuilding their website from scratch. Which is disappointing, considering previous versions of the software supported template changes.
Pros and cons
- Sensational templates. Choose from some of the most attractive templates in the industry.
- Extensive e-commerce options. Sell products, digital downloads and professional services.
- In-depth analytics. A built-in dashboard offers valuable insights into your site traffic.
- Free 14-day trial. Spend two full weeks with your website before whipping out your wallet.
- Full-featured blog. All Squarespace websites include advanced blogging features and functions.
- More expensive than competitors. Though customers say it’s simple to use, Squarespace costs more than other modern website builders like WordPress.
- No phone support. If you have problems with your store, you can’t call the company for help.
- Steep learning curve. It’s not as easy to use as site builders such as Wix and Weebly.
- Missing features. Shopify has some advanced e-commerce functions that Squarespace lacks.
- No freemium tier. Unlike some website builders, Squarespace doesn’t offer a free plan.
Squarespace reviews and complaints
In terms of features and performance, Squarespace is generally well reviewed by reputable technology blogs and e-commerce specialists. At the same time, however, many Squarespace users express disappointment with the quality of the company’s customer service. The fact that users can’t speak directly with support representatives is a common complaint.
Squarespace is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau, although the company does have a BBB rating of A+. And based on nearly 500 reviews on Trustpilot, Squarespace has an average rating of only 1.7 of 5 stars as of October 2020. Many of these reviews are critical of Squarespace’s lackluster support, but there’s more to the story.
Recently, Squarespace has also come under fire for shutting down a controversial website that promoted misinformation about the coronavirus pandemic. This decision has caused numerous free-speech advocates to post one-star reviews about Squarespace on both Trustpilot and the BBB’s website.
How do I sign up with Squarespace?
Signup is straightforward, and you aren’t required to enter billing information until the end of a two-week trial.
- Navigate to the Squarespace website and click Get Started in the upper-right corner.
- Select your business category or type in a description of your industry.
- Choose the goals that align with your overall objectives.
- Answer a question about how far along you are in the process of building an online business.
- Select a starter template that matches the website design you have in mind.
- Create an account using your email address or your Google, Apple or Facebook login.
Compare other e-commerce platforms
If you’re not sold on Squarespace, compare it with top competitors to find the best fit for your business.
If you want an attractive website with integrated e-commerce tools, Squarespace is a solid option that can meet the needs of most entrepreneurs. The learning curve is more steep when compared to other popular website builders, but it offers plenty of resources to help business owners find their bearings.
Compare other e-commerce options before determining your perfect fit.