It pays to be Square, with easy payment processing on the go — and on the cheap.
Square revolutionized payment processing back in 2009, introducing its small plug-in credit card reader now used at more that 3 million small businesses and retailers around the world. But at Square, payment processing was just a start.
Square has grown to offer everything a business needs to get started, enrich marketing efforts and manage an enterprise. Products now include point-of-sale stands, custom point-of-sale kits, magstripe readers and contactless chip readers, as well as software for building an online storefront, processing payroll, managing employees, booking appointments and even funding resources to build capital and get money in as little as a business day.
- Accept credit card payments
- Issue refunds
- Issue Square Invoices
- Issue and redeem Square gift cards
- Accept credit cards.
- Upfront pricing.
- Easy to use.
- Many free features.
- Lackluster customer support.
- Inconsistent risk management.
Pricing and packages
The cost of Square is really up to what you want to accomplish. It offers clear chart detailing its products and pricing upfront so that you can see what you get before you buy. Square will also customize all of its products and services for your business needs.
On the payments side, the only fees you’ll pay are:
- 2.75% fee on all swiped, dipped or tapped payments
- 3.5% + 15 cent fees for all keyed-in card payments
Products come with chargeback protection of up to $250 per month, a free point-of-sale app, analytics and sales reporting tools and next-day deposits.
The magstripe reader is free, but you’ll need to purchase hardware depending on your needs:
- $29 chip card reader
- $49 contactless chip reader
- $99 Square Stand
- Accessories that include a $9 headphone adapter, $229 Bluetooth code scanner and $349 Ethernet kitchen ticket printer
Square’s employee management and timecard software offers free integration with location management and app marketplaces. Pricing levels include:
- 2.9% + 30 cent fee for all invoices and e-commerce actions
- $30+ monthly fee for payroll processing
- $20+ monthly fee for appointment-booking tools
- $5 per employee monthly for employee management
What are the benefits of Square?
Square enables businesses to start selling their products and services and get payments ASAP. Its fees are up front and purchases include freebies like acceptance of all major credit cards, compliance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard, payment dispute assistance and more.
- Accept credit cards. Square’s bread and butter is making it easy for businesses to accept credit card payments. Its magstripe reader, Square Stand and near field communication (NFC) and chip card readers allow you to swipe or punch in a credit card from anywhere.
- Upfront pricing. With Square, you won’t be fooled by hidden costs. It breaks down fees associated with all of its products and services.
- Easy to use. Because Square’s tools work for iOS and Android devices, they’re easy to set up and use. Just plug Square into the headphone jack of your phone or tablet and go. Other devices connect wirelessly, making setup a breeze.
- Many free features. The Square Reader can accept offline charges and tips; print, text or email receipts; schedule store pickups; help you manage employee logins; and more — all at no additional charge.
Even the most perfect payment processing solutions have their roadblocks.
- Lackluster customer support. Current and previous customers complain about Square’s poor help options. However, you can call a toll-free number for assistance on weekdays, email support or visit community forums.
- Inconsistent risk management. Because Square aggregates payments, its acceptance rate is nearly 100% — which means it takes just about every company that applies. This is great if you’re a high-risk company, but it could come back to bite you if Square’s mitigation team flags or terminates your account without warning. To decrease your risk, read Square’s terms of service for compliance before you sign up your business.
How do I get started with Square?
You can sign up with Square in minutes. Just follow our link to Square’s secure site and provide your contact information. You’ll get your free magstripe reader in the mail within a week. There are no commitments or monthly fees, and you pay only when you make a sale.
Square is an easy-to-use way for you to process payments and run your small business. Because of its commitment to providing all costs upfront, Square is a popular option in the payment processing realm. Just read its terms of service before signup to make sure it fits your business needs.