Sproutt life insurance review 2020
An independent broker that pairs you with the best policy for your needs and budget.
finder.com's rating: 3.5 / 5
- Get a quote if… You want to compare policy features, rates and riders from a range of insurers.
- Choose a different provider if… You’d like to apply for a permanent policy online.
18 to 100
$50,000 to $10,000,000
Medical Exam Required
|Free quote||Online, Phone|
|Monthly cost||Not listed|
|Policies||Term, whole, universal, variable, guaranteed issue, simplified issue, final expense, graded death benefit.|
|Term lengths||5, 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 years|
|Riders||Accelerated death benefit rider, Accidental death benefit rider, Child rider, Critical illness benefit rider, Disability income benefit rider, Term insurance rider, Waiver-of-premium rider|
|Medical exam required||No|
|Available states||All 50 states|
|Issue age||18 - 60 years old|
- Easy application process
- Large network of A-rated providers
- No medical exams
Katia Iervasi is a staff writer who hails from Australia and now calls New York home. Her writing and analysis has been featured on sites like Forbes, Best Company and Financial Advisor around the world. Armed with a BA in Communication and a journalistic eye for detail, she navigates insurance and finance topics for Finder, so you can splash your cash smartly (and be a pro when the subject pops up at dinner parties).
Sproutt is among the new wave of fintech startups that aim to simplify the process of buying life insurance. It sources quotes from a range of top-rated insurers, and caters to healthy people as well as high-risk applicants and those who might struggle to find affordable coverage. But right now, the site is skewed towards term life.
To explore your options fully, compare life insurance companies on your own.
What types of life insurance coverage does Sproutt offer?
Sproutt doesn’t actually sell life insurance. It’s an independent broker that connects you with a provider and policy that matches up with your needs and budget.
It works with over 40 top-rated life insurance companies, including major carriers like AIG, Principal, SBLI and Sagicor Life.
Depending on the insurer you’re matched with, you could get a quote for the following types of coverage:
- Term life
- Whole life
- No medical exam life insurance — including guaranteed issue, simplified issue, final expense and graded death benefit policies
- Universal life
- Variable life
What’s a graded death benefit policy?
A graded death benefit policy is similar to guaranteed issue life insurance — though it’s less expensive and offers more coverage.
To apply for a graded death benefit policy, you’ll only need to answer a few simple questions about your health. If you’re approved, the insurer will structure the death benefit based on when you die in relation to when you took out the policy.
In many cases, the payout is graded like this:
- If you die within the first year of taking out the policy, your beneficiaries will receive 25% of the death benefit.
- If you die in the second year, your beneficiaries will receive 50% of the death benefit.
- If you die in the third year or beyond, your beneficiaries will receive 100% of the death benefit.
What riders can I add to my policy?
This comes down to the life insurance company you choose. Sproutt’s system allows you to add riders to your policy during the application.
These are some common riders that might be available to you:
- Waiver-of-premium rider
- Accelerated death benefit rider
- Accidental death benefit rider
- Critical illness benefit rider
- Disability income benefit rider
- Child rider
- Term insurance rider
How do I get a low rate?
Insurers have different underwriting standards, but almost all of them reserve their best rates for young, healthy, nonsmoking applicants.
Since Sproutt works with a range of insurers, it can help both healthy and high-risk applicants to find the strongest possible policy and premium.
Pros and cons of Sproutt life insurance
- Independent broker. Sproutt sources quotes from a range of companies — and its agents receive the same commission for all carriers. This means you’re more likely to get an objective opinion.
- Easy online application. Most applicants can get a quote within five minutes.
- Sophisticated software. The site uses advanced algorithms and third-party data to comb through suitable policies.
- Reputable life insurance companies. The startup works with financially strong companies with competitive pricing and positive customer reviews.
- Site only supports term life quotes. If you want a quote for a permanent or simplified issue policy, you’ll need to speak to a rep. However, Sproutt’s COO confirmed these policies will soon be available online.
- No anonymous quotes. You’ll have to enter your name and email address to get a quote.
Compare other life insurance companies
If you’re looking for more options to compare, take a look at these other providers.
Sproutt life insurance reviews and complaints
Sproutt has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 2019, and has an A rating for its customer service and interaction. The BBB hasn’t recorded any reviews or complaints, as of October 2020
On Trustpilot, the company earns 4.8 out of 5 stars, with many customers commenting on the seamless buying experience and the team’s response time.
How do I sign up?
If you’re looking for a term life insurance policy, you can apply online. The application takes around ten minutes to complete, and consists of 20 simple questions.
You’ll be asked for the following information:
- Personal and contact details
- Annual income
- Number of dependents
- Lifestyle — including whether you have any hazardous hobbies
- Basic health history
- Recent traffic violations
- Felony convictions
The system then recommends the best type of policy for you, and generates quotes from a bunch of life insurance companies. You can adjust your coverage and cost as needed. Once you’re happy, you can proceed to the next step of the application.
If you’re in the market for a permanent or simplified issue policy, you’ll need to chat to a rep. Licensed insurance advisors are available on 888-786-3917 from Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET.
More about Sproutt
Founded in 2018, Sproutt is a startup that harnesses technology to make life insurance more accessible. It’s the brainchild of Yoav Shaham, Assaf Henkin and Itai Brickner, who previously launched Kontera — a successful marketing technology company that was eventually acquired by Singel.
The trio brought their expertise and experience to Sproutt, and sourced investment from State of Mind Ventures, Moneta Capital and Guardian Life.
Sproutt has offices in Hartford, Connecticut; New York, New York; and Tel Aviv, Israel.
Life insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our experts analyze life insurance companies to help you to find the strongest possible policy and premium for your family’s needs. We assess their financial strength, customer satisfaction, policy features and riders. We then give each insurer a score between one and five stars that reflects their offering and reputation in the industry.