Earn unlimited points on all purchases and make the most of flying Southwest
- Get this card if… you frequently fly Southwest Airlines and want to earn rewards.
- Pick something else if… you want to redeem rewards through other airlines or want a card with free airport lounge access.
- Good to excellent credit score of 670 to 850 recommended.
|Product Name||Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card|
|APR (Annual Percentage Rate) for Purchases||17.99% to 24.99% variable|
|Balance Transfer APR||17.99% to 24.99% variable|
|Balance Transfer Fee||$5 or 5% of the transaction, whichever is greater|
|Cash Advance Rate||26.99% variable|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||3% of the transaction value|
|Cash Advance Fee||$10 or 5% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 21 days|
|Late Payment Fee||$37|
|Returned Payment Fee||$37|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Rates & Fees||Rates & Fees|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Welcome Offer||Earn 40,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Earn an additional 20,000 points when you spend $12,000 in the first year|
|Reward Value per Dollar||1x points|
|Rewards Points Expiry||Never|
The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card comes with an annual fee of $69, but it offers some valuable perks in return. You’ll earn a signup bonus of 40,000 points when you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first three months. Earn an additional 20,000 points when you spend $12,000 on purchases in the first year of opening your account. On each account anniversary, you’ll earn 3,000 bonus points. And you’ll also enjoy the overall benefits of flying Southwest: no blackout dates or seat restrictions, two free bags at check-in and no change fees.
The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card is designed for frequent Southwest Airlines travelers. You’ll earn 2x points on all Southwest and qualifying Rapid Rewards purchases as well as 1x points on your everyday spending. Redeem rewards for free flights, seat reservations and more.
An alternative airline credit card: Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American ExpressRead more
If you frequently fly Southwest Airlines, you can easily make the $69 annual fee worth it.
- Anniversary bonus. To get 3,000 bonus points on your account anniversary each year, you simply need to keep your account active.
- Earn reward points. Earn 2x points on purchases directly with Southwest Airlines, includes airline tickets, in-flight amenities, vacations package and gift card purchases, as well as at participating Rapid Rewards hotel and rental car partners. Earn 1x points on all other purchases.
- Travel benefits. Redeem your points for Southwest seats without worrying about blackout dates or travel restrictions. Your first and second checked bags fly for free. In the event of rescheduling, no change fees apply.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. While $69 is only slightly higher than average, paying it won’t do you much good if you don’t fly Southwest Airlines.
- Foreign transaction fees. If you want a card that you can use overseas, you’re better off looking for a card that comes with no foreign transaction fees.
- No intro APR. All outstanding balances start attracting interest from the first billing cycle.
- No airport lounge access. Unlike several other airline frequent flyer credit cards, the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card offers no airport lounge access.
Compare travel credit cards
<h3 class=”header-sideline”>Compare travel credit cards</h3>
What you should know before applying
Apply for the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card if:
- You’re at least 18 years old.
- You’re a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- You have a valid Social Security number.
What credit score should I have?
To have a better chance at approval, a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher is recommended.
How do I apply for the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card?
To apply for the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card, you’ll need to provide personal and financial details that include:
- Your full name and contact information
- Your Social Security number and date of birth
- Your gross annual income and monthly housing payment
- An existing Rapid Rewards number, if you have one
1. Go to the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card website and click Apply Now.
2. Complete the application with your personal information like your Social Security number, email address, phone number, birthday and mother’s maiden name. Click Next.
3. Enter your financial information and click Next.
4. Enter additional contact information and click Next.
5. You can add an authorized user at this point, or simply review your application details and submit.
How long will it take for me to be approved?
After you submit an online application, you’ll find out about its status almost immediately. The bank typically sends a letter notifying you of the same in 7 to 10 business days.
I got the card. Now what?
Look forward to the travel benefits and more this card offers, but use it with caution.
- Monitor account activity. Use Chase bank’s online banking platform to keep track of your spending and payments 24/7.
- Redeem points. Points earned are automatically transferred to your Rapid Rewards account at the end of each billing cycle. Redeem your points for any seat on any flight, subject to availability. Transferring reward points to another Rapid Rewards member is also an option.
- Avoid interest. Pay off your outstanding balance in full before each due date to avoid paying interest. Remember that cash advances attract interest from the day of the transaction.
- Avoid penalties. Late payment and returned check fees can go up to $37.
- Contact customer service. If you have questions, contact Chase card services at 800-792-0001, on Twitter @ChaseSupport or log in to your account to send a secure email.
It makes sense to get the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card if you frequently fly Southwest Airlines and want to make your spending work for you. If you’re looking for better travel perks, consider comparing other airline frequent flyer credit cards.
Compare Chase credit cards