From mobile apps to Virtual Private Networks, this is finder.com’s hub for all your software needs.
When it comes to technology, hardware tends to get the bulk of the attention. New mobile phones are shiny, laptops are powerful and smartwatches bring the power of a computer to your wrist. But the unsung hero of any gadget is the software it runs; the code that allows it to do all the wonderful things we’ve grown to love from our technology.
Not only does software deliver the core experience of a device, but it can also completely change how you use a technology. VPN software lets you unlock a world of possibilities, from unlocking a full US Netflix library or just adding an extra level of security for your internet browsing.Meanwhile, the App Store for iOS devices and the Google Play store has completely changed how software is distributed and sold.
So if you’re still curious about the difference between iPhone and Apple Watch apps, or still wondering what on earth a VPN is then strap yourself in and let us introduce you our vast selection of how-to guides and product guides.
Top how-to guides
Got that sinking feeling that your online activity is being monitored? More and more people are looking to VPNs for a secure browsing experience. Let us find the right VPN for you by tailoring it to your needs (and budget!).
With all the options available, choosing a VPN can be overwhelming. And, like any internet-based service, it’s easy to be suckered into paying for an inferior product. We’ve researched long and hard to find the best VPN services and compared them side-by-side.
A smartwatch is not only an accessory, but it’s also an invaluable tool that can be used for fitness and GPS, among a number of other applications when paired up with your smartphone. See our breakdown of some of the top smartwatches on the market.
Whether you want to know how fast you ran your daily mile or how many steps you had in the day, you can opt for a fitness tracker or a smartwatch to tell you just that. Find out which pieces of wearable tech are compatible with which smartphones — plus, how to find what matches your lifestyle and needs.
Top VPN Picks
What to look out for when shopping for software or apps
To make sure you’re purchasing software that’s going to work the way you need it to, you should think about how you’ll be able to get the most out of your new software or app. Here’s how:
- Does it meet your needs? Individuals may have different uses for the same piece of software. It’s your job as the consumer to figure out what you need and then begin shopping for a product that offers just that. Otherwise, you may get stuck paying for a program with extra features that you don’t even use.
- Customization. Software customization can let a consumer use a program faster and more efficiently.
- Any software bugs? Research to see how the company handled past and current bugs in their system. Was it a quick fix? Or was it dragged out? By reading customer reviews, you’ll find a lot of helpful information on different types of software.
- Updates. Technology advances fast these days, and it’s nice to use software that offers updates regularly. These maintenance updates help ensure that the program is bug-free and always improving.
- Customer support. If there’s poor customer service and you run into a problem, it’s likely to be problematic when searching for a solution. Read online reviews and forums to see what other users have said regarding this to save yourself a headache.
- Ongoing contracts. Some services are pay-as-you-go, while others have monthly and annual subscriptions. This is fine, but make sure that if you need to get out of a contract, you can do so without being fined or forfeiting your upfront annual payment.
We’re all about helping you get more from your technology by offering detailed comparisons of the best technologies the world has to offer. And that includes the software that makes your gadgets great, from platforms like iOS and Android to dedicated apps for productivity, travel or more.
Latest in mobile apps
Apps are still allowed to facilitate cryptocurrency transactions but mining operations are now forbidden. Read more…
A new feature for Google Assistant will soon allow you to speak a command and send money to friends or family through Google Pay. Read more…
Apple and Google Play users are among those at risk of downloading a malicious app. Read more…
Video viewers around the world spent twice as much time streaming last year, and they did most of it through TVs via devices like Roku and game consoles. Read more…
SURE has launched the first app for buying rental car insurance conveniently - if your auto, health, home and life policies don't already cover you. Read more…