Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Software and apps finder
From mobile apps to Virtual Private Networks, this is finder.com’s hub for all your software needs.
When it comes to technology, hardware tends to get the bulk of the attention. New mobile phones are shiny, laptops are powerful and smartwatches bring the power of a computer to your wrist. But the unsung hero of any gadget is the software it runs; the code that allows it to do all the wonderful things we’ve grown to love from our technology.
Not only does software deliver the core experience of a device, but it can also completely change how you use a technology. VPN software lets you unlock a world of possibilities, from unlocking a full US Netflix library or just adding an extra level of security for your internet browsing.Meanwhile, the App Store for iOS devices and the Google Play store has completely changed how software is distributed and sold.
So if you’re still curious about the difference between iPhone and Apple Watch apps, or still wondering what on earth a VPN is then strap yourself in and let us introduce you our vast selection of how-to guides and product guides.
Top software deals
What to look out for when shopping for software or apps
To make sure you’re purchasing software that’s going to work the way you need it to, you should think about how you’ll be able to get the most out of your new software or app. Here’s how:
- Does it meet your needs? Individuals may have different uses for the same piece of software. It’s your job as the consumer to figure out what you need and then begin shopping for a product that offers just that. Otherwise, you may get stuck paying for a program with extra features that you don’t even use.
- Customization. Software customization can let a consumer use a program faster and more efficiently.
- Any software bugs? Research to see how the company handled past and current bugs in their system. Was it a quick fix? Or was it dragged out? By reading customer reviews, you’ll find a lot of helpful information on different types of software.
- Updates. Technology advances fast these days, and it’s nice to use software that offers updates regularly. These maintenance updates help ensure that the program is bug-free and always improving.
- Customer support. If there’s poor customer service and you run into a problem, it’s likely to be problematic when searching for a solution. Read online reviews and forums to see what other users have said regarding this to save yourself a headache.
- Ongoing contracts. Some services are pay-as-you-go, while others have monthly and annual subscriptions. This is fine, but make sure that if you need to get out of a contract, you can do so without being fined or forfeiting your upfront annual payment.
Compare collaboration software
We’re all about helping you get more from your technology by offering detailed comparisons of the best technologies the world has to offer. And that includes the software that makes your gadgets great, from platforms like iOS and Android to dedicated apps for productivity, travel or more.
Read more on this topic
How Google and Apple are working together to track coronavirus through your phone The tech giants are collaborating on contact tracing technology – here's what we know so far.
Monday.com review A workflow and task management tool designed to promote transparent, collaborative processes.
E-book reader comparison Carry around hundreds of books with you in one lightweight device.
Compare popular wireless chargers Wireless chargers promise easy power boosts to your compatible smartphone, but how well do they deliver?
Compare the best multiroom speakers Your favorite tunes are never more than a tap away with the right multiroom speaker setup.
How Siri can set up your smart home Control your household with the power of your voice.
IFTTT smart home IFTTT allows you to connect your smart devices — even when they're not directly compatible.
Google Assistant smart home A hands-free solution for automating your smart home.
Is your small business a hacker’s dream? Small businesses can be at higher risk for a data security breach. Find out how to protect your small business from hackers at a reasonable cost.
Amazon Echo review Learn about the speaker's design, audio quality and features like Alexa to see if it’s the smart speaker for you.
Ask an Expert