Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Technology and apps that increase efficiency, streamline communication and optimize day-to-day operations.
Updated . What changed?
Software is the unsung hero of our modern world that allows us to operate our lives in the digital realm. Whatever your problem may be, you can find a piece of software designed to solve it.
To choose the software that’s right for you, weigh pros and cons, compare reviews — and don’t settle until you see a price that matches your needs and budget.
Compare collaboration software
We’ve rounded up a collection of services to get your business started below. If you’re interested in other types of software, explore different tabs on the table.
More of the brands we compare
How to compare software
To make sure you’re purchasing software that’s going to work the way you need it to, think about how you’ll be able to get the most out of your new software or app:
- Solutions. You might use the same piece of software differently from the next person. Figure out the problem you’re looking to solve, and then shop for a product that can resolve it. Otherwise, you may get stuck paying for a program with extra features you won’t even use.
- Customization. Narrow down software that is flexible enough to cover your precise workflow, task or problem. Standard software may be fine, with without customization, it may be unable to adapt to tomorrow’s needs.
- User experience. Learn what others who are using the software have to say in online reviews and forums. about everyday use, including how the company handles bugs and support.
- Updates. Technology advances fast these days, and it’s nice to use software that offers updates regularly — not only for maintenance, but to improve how you use it.
- Ongoing contracts. Some services are pay-as-you-go, while others allow you to sign up for monthly and annual subscriptions. Before you sign a contract, confirm it’s not too difficult to get out of without a fine or forfeiting your subscription payment.
Top software deals
Software vs. application software
The two main types of software are system software and application software.
System software runs all smart devices, including computers, tablets, phones and smart speakers. This software is often installed on the device before you buy it.
Application software is what most people mean when they say software. It’s what helps you process words, crunch numbers, browse the web and perform other tasks using your computer or device.
Many people use application software to work, communicate with others, play games, increase their digital privacy and consume media. If you have a smart device, you probably use some form of application software every day through different types of apps.
How can I use software at home?
By incorporating software into your life, you can save money, make your devices more secure and free up time by automating tasks.
Types of personal software
How can I use software for my business?
Software can be a cost-effective way to help your business run more efficiently. Whether you own a small company or run a huge corporation, the right software for your needs and budget can help increase productivity, enhance communication, cut costs and boost profits.
Types of business software
The software marketplace includes notable names and less advertised startups vying for your personal and business dollar. When comparing products, think about the problem you need to solve, and look into customer support, contract terms and customization that can help you stay on track. Because your software is only as good as your hardware, also make sure your computer is up-to-date.
Read more on this topic
Rocket Lawyer online legal services review Rocket Lawyer helps you generate legal forms that you may need. But you might find it difficult to speak with an attorney on the phone. Is it worth it?
LegalZoom online legal services review LegalZoom helps individuals, families and small businesses create legal documents. And if you need help, you can talk to an attorney for an extra fee.
LegalShield online legal services review LegalShield is a retainer-style service for individuals and businesses that can help provide legal advice and representation for a number of law issues.
Vimeo for online businesses Looking for video solutions for your small business? Here's what Vimeo can offer.
How Google and Apple are working together to track coronavirus through your phone The tech giants are collaborating on contact tracing technology – here's what we know so far.
Monday.com review A workflow and task management tool designed to promote transparent, collaborative processes.
E-book reader comparison Carry around hundreds of books with you in one lightweight device.
Compare popular wireless chargers Wireless chargers promise easy power boosts to your compatible smartphone, but how well do they deliver?
Compare the best multiroom speakers Your favorite tunes are never more than a tap away with the right multiroom speaker setup.
How Siri can set up your smart home Control your household with the power of your voice.
Ask an Expert