Want to have a more appealing smartwatch? Put these on your wrist!
In a day and age where leaving behind your phone — or worse, losing it — is an actual defined fear (called “nomophobia”), it seems impossible to imagine a life without your smartphone.
Our attachment to real-time updates can also be the cause of unsavory social situations, as we all abruptly stop a flowing conversation to compulsively check what the latest notification ding was for.
But what if you could have something up your sleeve to quickly determine whether these notifications are worth your current energy and time?
Enter: the world of smartwatches.
While smartwatches have been around since the 80s, the best smartwatches have far more benefits which can be useful to almost everybody.
Deals and coupons
What exactly is a smartwatch?
A smartwatch is exactly what it sounds like: a watch that’s usually linked to your smartphone and serves as a companion device so that you can:
- See text messages
- Screen phone calls
- Receive alerts for emails and social media updates
- Remember scheduled diary meetings and appointments
- Monitor your heart rate
- Count your steps or miles run
- Control your music
- Act as a GPS
- View photos
- Use apps
Just like not all smartphones are the same, each smartwatch may support different combinations of the above common features, and some smartwatches may even be able to function as a standalone device.
Back to top
So who would benefit from using a smartwatch? As it turns out, most of us can.
Why would I want a smartwatch?
Because most smartwatches are designed to be connected to your smartphone, you’ll be able to carry on your conversation and be able to glance down at the notification instead of awkwardly excusing yourself to check your phone.
If you’re a health enthusiast, a smartwatch can help you track your fitness, keeping your steps counted and checking your heartbeats per minute while you’re on the move.
Is my smartwatch compatible?
- Android Wear smartwatch works with iOS
- No Apple Watch works with Android phones
- Fitbit and Pebble work with all phones
- Apple Watch doesn’t work with iPhone 4 and below
- Android Wear smartwatches don’t work with Samsung S2 and below
What should I consider when shopping for a smartwatch?
Like any other device, when shopping for your smartwatch it’ll come down to a matter of personal choice. Here are a few things you should consider:
- Device compatibility. Because most smartwatches are created to pair with your phone, you should check the device compatibility.
- Screen and interface. Do you prefer a color screen or a black and white display? Would you like the screen to always be on, lit up and active, or do you want the option of an interchangeable classic watch interface? Would you rather have a touch screen or physical buttons that you can push?
- Notifications and alerts. What types of notifications do you want to receive? Most common alerts will include calls, texts and emails, but do you also want to receive notifications from social media such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat?
- Design. A smartwatch will reflect your personal style. Does it come with changeable straps or other customizable features?
- Water friendly. If you’re active and enjoy sports, is your smartwatch waterproof or water-resistant? Do you wear your watch in the shower?
- Apps. Which apps are available for your smartwatch and does it have a limit on how many apps it can store at a time?
- Fitness. Does the smartwatch support the apps you usually use? Does it have a heart rate monitor, integrated GPS or pedometer already built-in? If so, how easy is it to integrate with your smartphone app or your computer where you usually view and track your fitness records?
- Voice calling and recognition. Do you want your smartwatch to have voice recognition so you’re able to prompt actions just by talking? Are you able to make calls from your wrist?
- Battery and charging. How often will you need to charge your smartwatch and how easy is it to charge? Can you plug it straight into your laptop or do you need to carry a charger chord?
What are the most popular smartwatches?
Currently, there are different smartwatches available from most big electronics and smartphone companies, such as Samsung, LG, Sony, Motorola, Pebble and Fitbit. One of the most popular smartwatches on the marker right now is Apple.
The Apple Watch
This was the first wearable device from Apple that used the smartwatch concept. The highly coveted Apple Watch can perform a slew of functions when paired your with your iPhone via its onscreen icons:
- Camera Remote
The Apple Watch can track your daily exercise levels and connect with other friends who have an Apple Watch. With the battery expected to last up to 18 hours per day, the Apple Watch is a worthwhile addition for those already with an iPhone.
Whatever your lifestyle, the ease of having everything up your sleeve makes it convenient for those of us who have that compulsive itch to grab their phone each and everytime it dings. Whichever smartwatch you choose, these innovative wearable devices will help you use your smartphones just as they were originally intended to be: smarter.