Review: Small World money transfers
Most any currency, any country, any method within minutes
Small World is secure and easy to use when sending money from the US to anyone in more than 80 countries. You’ll typically save money with low fees and strong exchange rates, making this an ideal choice if you’re in one of the states it services.
Min. Transfer Amount
Max. Transfer Amount
|Product Name||Small World|
|Min. Transfer Amount||$0|
|Max. Transfer Amount||$0|
|Transfer Methods||Online, Phone, Agent, Bank Account to Bank Account, Cash Transfer|
Minimum transfer time
|Customer Service||Phone, Chat, Email, Branch|
|Exchange Rate Updates||Daily|
Flexibility and convenience with Small World
Many online transfer services limit you to bank transfers only. With Small World, you not only have the delivery options of bank account, cash pickup and mobile wallet, you can even opt for home delivery in some countries. Pay by bank account, credit or debit card, cash or PayPal.
No minimum or maximum transfers make it easy to send any kind of transfer, from mobile account top-ups to real estate purchases. And your recipient can get the funds the same day or within 24 hours for most transfers.
Our experience transferring money with Small World
Here’s what we found when we sent live transfers to Mexico and France through Small World:
- Small World offered low fees and competitive rates within 0.5% of the mid-market rate on average, with rates updated daily.
- While Small World boasts no limits on your transfers, we weren’t able to send more than $9,999 to some countries. There might be a limit per transfer instead of a daily limit like most services.
- We didn’t receive an ETA with our receipt, but our funds were deposited into our recipient’s French bank account within one day.
- Small World’s easy-to-use website allowed us to sign up and initiate a transfer in an impressive 3.5 minutes. You also have the option of initiating a transfer by phone.
How much will I pay to send money with Small World?
Small World makes its money from transfer fees and by padding the exchange rate for a profit.
Fees depend on where you’re sending money and how it’s sent and received. Online transfers are cheaper than bank-to-bank transfers. Similarly, it’s less expensive if recipients receive a deposit in their account than if it’s picked up in cash at a location. Cash transfers are the most expensive option.
Live chat is available online to tell you the exact fees of your transaction, and Small World often offers discounts for first-time users.
How are Small World’s exchange rates?
Small World boasts “the best rates in the market.” Because it specializes in one thing — international money transfers — you can typically get exchange rates that are close to the mid-market rate. When we recently sent live transfers to France and Mexico, our exchange rates were a respectable 0.5% of the published mid-market rates.
What types of transfers does Small World support?
Small World makes it easy to send money internationally through several transfer options.
- Cash pickup. Designate a location for your recipient to pick up cash with a unique ID at one of 200,000 agents and branches worldwide.
- Bank account deposits. Quickly send money directly to your recipient’s bank account.
- Mobile wallet. Send money to mobile phones worldwide.
- Mobile top-up. Top up any mobile number worldwide in most any currency.
- Home delivery. Home delivery is available in some countries for a fee.
Small World operates in these US states:
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Caorlina
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
The pros & cons of using Small World
- Accepts all currencies. Small World claims that it will accept all currencies out there.
- Transfers in minutes, not days. Payments are typically delivered in 15 minutes.
- Multiple transfer options. You can even transfer money to a mobile wallet.
- Send any amount. No minimum or maximum transfer limits.
- No additional fees for using a credit card. Unlike other providers, you won’t pay extra to pay by card.
- Strong exchange rates. Get a better deal for your transfer, especially to the Philippines and Africa.
- Reputable service. Small World is a trusted provider worldwide, with 52 million transactions under its belt.
- Limited availability. Small World is licensed to provide services in 18 states only.
How does Small World compare to other services?
How do I send money with Small World?
You can send money through Small World’s website or mobile app, at one of its 11 branches in the US or through its call center.
Whether you log on, visit or call, you’ll go through a similar process.
2. On receipt of a confirmation email, you’ll finish registration with your date of birth, mailing address and government-issued ID, such as a passport or driver’s license.
3. You’ll then enter and confirm your recipient’s information.
4. Complete your transfer by entering and confirming your transfer and payment details.
For most transfers, your funds will be available to your recipient within 24 hours, but delivery speeds may vary depending on your recipient’s country and how you’ve paid for the transfer.
Tracking your transfer
With your transaction receipt, you’ll be assigned a unique money transfer number that you can use to track the progress of your transfer from Small World’s homepage. You can even pass it along to your recipient so they’re in the know.
What is Small World?
Small World is a global leader in money transfers that boasts more than 52 million transactions worldwide. Its global network allows you to make payments — sometimes received in 15 minutes — to any country in any currency. With more than 200,000 locations around the world, Small World offers a variety of payment options.
Small World business services
Through the aptly named Small World for Businesses, you can pay contractors and suppliers worldwide or move money between your overseas offices quickly with low fees. It also offers businesses access to same-day transactions with exclusive exchange rates.
How does Small World protect my money?
Small World completes most transactions within 24 hours, depending on the destination and transfer method. It’s one of the world’s largest money transfer services, and it’s serious about protecting your money.
- Established. Small World has been in the money transfer business for more than 20 years and has completed over 52 million transactions.
- SSL encryption. Its website is protected to keep your money and information safe from third-party interference.
- Regulated. Small World is in compliance with national financial authorities in every country.
- Verification. Users provide government-issued ID, proof of address and proof of funds before making a transfer.
- Customer service. Get 24/7 support by phone and online chat.
How do I report suspicious activity to Small World?
Small World will never email you to confirm passwords, transaction details or personal information. If you receive an email from someone claiming to be Small World, do not respond. If you’re concerned about a call or email, call 866-210-8002 or start a live chat with customer service on Small World’s site.
What do customers say about Small World?
Small World gets good reviews on TrustPilot, with a TrustScore of 7.9 out of 10. Customers praise its quick delivery and its “high level of service.”
If you need help with a transfer, you can initiate a chat online or call 866-210-8002.
Small World offers multiple options for quickly transferring money internationally. Accepting all currencies and transfers to more than 80 countries, it’s a great option for exotic currencies, flexible options and fast transfers.
But if you’re in one of the more than 30 US states it’s not licensed to provide services in, you’ll need to compare the fees, rates and details of other money transfer specialists.