Compare direct lenders and connection services to find the best short-term loan for your budget.
Swift is a short-term loan connection service run by the Habematolel Pomo of Upper Lake. This means that you may have access to both US-based lenders and tribal lenders, expanding your options to borrow. However, you’re not guaranteed to be connected, and even if you are, you might find that the fees you have to pay far exceed what you can afford.
- Returning borrowers may qualify for larger advances.
- Simple online application.
- Get connected with multiple lenders at once.
- Turnaround time in as little as one business day.
- Tribal lenders may have extremely high APRs.
- Terms and APR vary by lender.
- Some lenders may require a credit check.
Services for short-term loans
OppLoans is a direct lender that offers loans between $500 to $5,000. It’s accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has an A+ rating, with mainly positive reviews praising its customer service and large loan amounts.
But while its APR can be lower than many short-term lenders, it’s still quite high when compared to personal loans.
- Options include installment loans, title loans and personal loans.
- Wide range of payback terms — from 9 months to 36 months.
- No prepayment penalties.
- Get funds in as little as one business day.
- High interest rates ranging from 99%–199%%.
- Only available to residents of Alabama, California, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia and Wisconsin.
LendUp is a direct lender with a unique borrowing platform that helps borrowers rebuild their credit as they move up the LendUp Ladder. You can earn points by making on-time repayments, referring friends and taking free financial education courses. And as you move up the LendUp Ladder, you’ll qualify for longer loan terms at a lower rate.
However, it’s only available in a limited number of states. And unlike many of the providers on this list, the maximum amount you can borrow may not be able to cover a larger expense.
- Low minimum loan amount of $100.
- Depending on your state, you may be able to participate in the LendUp Ladder program that allows eligible borrowers to apply for larger loans at lower rates.
- Bad credit is OK.
- Free online education courses.
- Quick turnaround on applications.
- Low maximum loan amount of $250.
- Only available to residents of California, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin.
- May have high transaction fees.
3. Check Into Cash
Check Into Cash is a direct lender that features a low minimum loan and fast turnaround so you can borrow the amount you need — without having to shell out extra money towards interest for larger loans. And unlike many of the providers on this list, you can visit a Check Into Cash store for an added personal touch.
- Low minimum loan amount of $50.
- Has physical storefronts as well as online applications.
- Quick turnaround, with money deposited next business day.
- Bad credit is OK.
- Offers more services than just loans, including: prepaid cards and money transfers.
- APR can be higher than 153.73% depending on your state.
- Steep late fees.
- Check Into Cash is not available in Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, DC, Georgia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Vermont or West Virginia.
4. ACE Cash Express
ACE Cash Express is a direct lender that offers payday loans, title loans and installment loans to borrowers in 11 states. It has a 72-hour guarantee, which allows you to return your loan within 72 hours if you decide not to borrow. However, not all of its products are available in every states, and you’ll still face the same high interest rates that you would with other short-term loans.
- 72-hour guarantee allows you to pay back loan in 72 hours at no extra cost.
- Over 40 years of experience.
- Instant decision on loan status.
- You can pay your loan off ahead of time without any prepayment fees, and in some states, you may be eligible for a complete or partial refund of applicable loan fees.
- Only available in California, Idaho, Florida, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Texas and Ohio.
- Costs vary by state.
5. Cash Central
Cash Central is a licensed provider that boasts more than one million satisfied borrowers and a quick application process. And if you need to borrow a large amount, no worries: Cash Central offers installment loans and lines of credit up to $5,000. You can also receive your loan funds onto a prepaid debit card, making it easy to use the amount you’ve borrowed.
However, not everyone will qualify for such a large loan, and you may have to pay multiple fees that can quickly double or even triple the cost of your loan.
- Can get loan funds on prepaid debit card.
- Quick online application process.
- Easy process for repeat borrowing.
- Loans disbursed within one to two business days.
- Loans available in most states, including: Alabama, Alaska, California, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming
- Maximum loan amount varies by state.
- High late fees.
CashNetUSA is a direct lender that offers payday loans, installment loans and even lines of credit. Its products are available in more states than not, and you can look forward to fast turnaround times and funds disbursed in as little as one business day.
But not every type of loan is available in every state. You may not have access to the loan you want where you live, and you’ll have to do some digging to find out exactly how much you can borrow and the other terms of your loan.
- Offers payday loans, installment loans and lines of credit.
- Turnaround time of one business day.
- Bad credit is OK.
- APR and loan amount vary by state.
- Unavailable in Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Vermont and West Virginia.
Like Swift, CashAdvance.com is a short-term loan connection service that connects you with a suitable lender for your financial needs and credit score. It has a fast turnaround time of one to two business days and also offers an expedited application process for returning customers.
However, you’ll have to be employed. And like Swift Money Loans, you aren’t guaranteed to be connected to a lender — or find an option that fits your budget.
- Loan term of up to 1 month.
- Turnaround time of one to two business days.
- Quick application process for repeat customers.
- APR varies, from 15%–1,564%%.
- Fees vary by lender.
- Offers loans in most states, except Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Arkansas and Arizona.
8. Check City
Check City is a direct lender that provides payday loans and installment loans for people with low credit scores. It’s accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has an A+ rating. Check City is also a member of the Community Financial Services Association of America (CFSA) and the Utah Consumer Lending Association (UCLA), which have standards set to help borrowers get a fair deal.
- Responsible lender. Accredited by the BBB with an A+ rating, and a member of the CFSA and UCLA.
- Offers more than just short-term loans, including check cashing and tax services.
- Payday and installment loan options.
- Bad credit is OK.
- May receive your loan funds in as little as one business day.
- APR starts at 141.44%.
- Only available in 17 states: Alabama, Alaska, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
Spotloan offers installment loans of $300 to $800 to qualified borrowers. These loans are available in all but seven states, and Spotloan offers variable repayment plans, including: direct debits from a bank account, checks or money orders.
However, it still has high APRs, and its loan range isn’t anything to write home about, If you need to borrow more — or less — you may be better off by finding a lender through Swift.
- Variable repayment plans. You can make repayments via direct debit from your bank, a check or a money order.
- Easy online application.
- Money available the next day if you apply by 8 p.m. ET.
- Available in most states, except: Arkansas, Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Pennsylvania West Virginia and Washington DC.
- Limited loan amounts, ranging from $300 to $800.
- APR and fees depend on the terms you qualify for.
10. Check ‘n’ Go
Check ‘n’ Go is a direct lender that provides short-term loans of $100 to $1,500 for qualified borrowers. While it charges service fees for its loans, you may qualify for same-day funding — which isn’t an option many other lenders offer.
- Decent loan amounts of $100 to $1,500.
- Offers payday loans, installment loans and prepaid debit cards.
- Same-day funding for those who qualify.
- Bad credit is OK.
- Charges service fees for the loan.
- Not available in Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Vermont, Virginia, Washington and West Virginia.
11. Triangle Cash
Like SWIFT Money Loans, Triangle Cash is a short-term loan connection service. The lenders in its network offer loans up to $1,000, and it has options available in all but five states. In addition, many of its lenders are known for quick approval.
However, like Swift and other connection services, you won’t know your terms until you’re connected with a lender — if you are at all. Carefully review your loan contract and make sure you can afford a short-term loan before you sign.
- Quick process with high approval rates from affiliated lenders.
- Funding may be available in as little as one business day.
- Available in most states, except Arkansas, Connecticut, New York, Vermont and West Virginia
- APR varies by lender and state.
- Loan amounts vary by lender.
- Easy online application
- Quick approval
- Fast funding
- Long repayment terms
OppLoans Installment Loans
Installment loans with competitive rates from a top-rated direct lender.
- Minimum loan amount: $500
- Maximum loan amount: $5,000
- Turnaround time: 1 business day
- Loan term: 9 to 36 months
- Must have direct deposit and meet minimum income requirements