American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card review
A small business credit card with a $0 annual fee and up to 2% cash back on eligible purchases.
- Get this card if you spend up to $50,000 annually.
- Pick something else if you want to earn a higher cashback rate on select business categories.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 2%
Intro purchase APR
for the first 12 months (then 13.24% to 19.24% variable)
|Rewards||Earn 2% cash back on all eligible purchases on up to $50,000 per calendar year, then 1%. Cash back earned is automatically credited to your statement.|
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 12 months (then 13.24% to 19.24% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||N/A|
|Minimum Credit Score||670|
Megan Horner is the credit cards publisher at Finder. She's passionate about helping you find the best credit cards to meet your financial needs — whether that's earning great rewards or improving your credit score. Megan's expertise has been spotlighted on Lifehacker, CreditCards.com, American Banker and featured on news broadcasts across the country.
The American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card now features a solid 2% cash back on all eligible purchases, up to $50,000 in purchases each year, then 1%. This remains a strong reward for small businesses and startups. The average business can easily maximize rewards thanks to the card’s flat cashback rate and $0 annual fee.
Another useful perk is a 0% introductory APR on purchases valid for the first 12 months your account is open, reverting to a variable rate of 13.24% to 19.24% depending on your creditworthiness (see Terms apply, see rates & fees).
With this card, Amex also allows you to spend above your credit limit by an amount that’s subject to eligibility.
How to apply for the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card
- Go to the provider's site and click Apply now.
- Enter details about your business, including your Federal Tax ID.
- Enter personal contact information, your Social Security number and your income.
- Review and submit your application.
How long will it take to be approved?
American Express automates online approvals, which means that many applicants can see a decision in minutes. If your application requires a manual review, you might need to wait a few weeks.
- Cash back: 2% on all eligible purchases up to $50,000. You’ll earn 1% cashback on all eligible purchases after that. The changes to this card’s reward structure mean that it’ll be much easier for the average small or mid-sized business to reap the maximum rewards. You’ll earn rewards on your purchases as statmenet credits, no matter what your business needs for growth.
- Intro APR: Save with a 0% intro APR on purchases. The American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card offers a 0% introductory APR on purchases for the first 12 months your account is open. After, your APR reverts to 13.24% to 19.24% variable.
- Annual fee: $0. Pay no annual fee to reap rewards for as long as you own the card.
How does American Express pay out cashback rewards?
Any cash back you’ve earned in one statement period is automatically paid out in the next.
You’ll also like
- Automatic cash back. Amex credits all earned rewards to your statement automatically.
- Spend over your limit. Take advantage of expanded buying power on large purchases, spending over your stated limit without penalty and repaying the difference with the next month. The specific amount you’re able to spend over you limit depends on how you use your account and your overall credit.
- Complimentary travel benefits. Pay for airfare with the card and get baggage insurance. You’ll also get complimentary car rental and travel accident insurance of up to $100,000.
- American Express perks. Cardmembers enrolled through their Amex account enjoy access to Amex Offers, with some purchases qualifying for purchase protection and extended warranties.
- $0 annual fee on employee cards. Get a card for every employee that needs one.
- Management tools. Manage business expenses across multiple cards through the American Express® Business App, including a year-end summary and QuickBooks integration.
What to watch out for
- Cash back categories. With the change to the cash back structure of this card, some businesses might prefer a top-rated business card with targeted, higher-earning categories.
- No balance transfer capability. As of this writing, the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card no longer offers the ability to balance transfer. This was a great perk given the rarity of balance transfer business cards.
- Fees on foreign transactions. If you use this card abroad, you’ll pay a fee of 2.7% on your purchases.
Compare business credit cards
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Who is the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card good for?
Bonus cashback limits on this card means that midsize and larger businesses could quickly find their purchases stuck at the fallback 1% rate.
Smaller businesses might make the most of this card’s cash back constraints, not to mention no annual fee.
What to know before you apply
To apply for the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card, you must be a permanent resident of the US who’s at least 18 years old. Your business must also be headquartered in the US.
Required documents and information
To apply you must be:
- Legal business name, business address and income details
- Federal Tax ID number
- Your name, home address and income details
- Your Social Security number and date of birth
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of approval with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card reviews and complaints
This card previously earned a 4.5 out of 5 stars on American Express website, on par with other Amex business cards. Customers praised the generous cash back but cautioned that merchants must bill to specific categories, or you miss out on bonus rates.
That American Express isn’t always accepted at your local stores or wireless providers is also something to keep in mind.
As for American Express on the whole, the company has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau since 1948 and earns an overall A+ rating as of August 2021. However, 90% of its reviews are negative and it has nearly 3,400 customer complaints. Amex cardholders in general complain of rude customer service reps, missing statement credit and issues disputing charges.
The company earns a Trustpilot score of 1.9 out of 5 as of August 2021. Many negative reviews cite unhelpful customer service and inflexible company policies. Positive reviews say the company employs pleasant customer service representatives. Overall, your mileage may vary with American Express customer support.
I got the card. Now what?
- Pay on time. Enroll in autopay to avoid the fee of up to $39 on late payments.
- Avoid interest. You get 25 days after the close of each billing cycle to pay off your purchases without interest.
- Manage your finances. Install the Spend Manager app to organize transactions, upload receipts and make notes. Or integrate your account with QuickBooks.
With no annual fee and generous cash back, the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card can earn big rewards for small and medium-size businesses.
Compare this card to the many other business credit cards to find the card that best fits your business needs.
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.