Shop Your Way Mastercard® review
A card with strong earning potential for Shop Your Way members.
- Get this card if you’re a Shop Your Way member and want to earn those points on everyday purchases.
- Get something else if you want a card that earns general rewards points or is part of a more diverse credit card rewards program.
- Apply with a good credit score of 670 or higher.
All information about this card has been collected independently by Finder.
Up to 5%
Purchase APR (variable)
|Welcome Offer||$40 statement credit when you spend $50 or more on purchases in your first 30 days|
|Rewards||5% back in points at gas stations, 3% at restaurants and grocery stores on up to $10,000 combined annually, then 1% after that and on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||25.24% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||N/A|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Steven Dashiell is a writer at Finder specializing in all things credit cards. With more than 300 articles under his belt, he aims to help readers embrace credit cards and maximize their rewards. Steve is studying to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance, and is a frequent face on Finder’s YouTube channel, offering the latest in credit card hacks and advice. His expertise has been featured on numerous outlets, including U.S. News & World Report, Time, CBS, Fox Business, Lifehacker, Martha Stewart Living and more.
The Shop Your Way Mastercard® is a Sears and Kmart cobranded card and the higher-tier offering from the Sears Credit Card. It earns 5% in points on eligible purchases at gas stations and 3% on eligible purchases at grocery stores and restaurants on the first $10,000 in combined purchases each calendar year, reverting to 1% after. It also earns 2% back on eligible purchases at Sears and Kmart and 1% back on everything else. You can also earn a $40 statement credit after you spend $50 or more on eligible purchases within your first 30 days of account opening (if you apply online). The card comes with no annual fee and carries a 25.24% variable APR.
Unlike the Sears Credit Card, the Shop Your Way Mastercard® is usable outside of Sears and Kmart, and can even earn fairly impressive reward rates on those purchases. For example, 5% back is just about the highest rate you’ll find on gas. And while the earning cap on these accelerated rates are capped, you’ll have a hearty $10,000 to reach before your earning rate reverts to 1%.
The main question you’ll need to ask is whether you think the Shop Your Way program is worth it for you. Points shake out to $1 for every 1,000 when redeemed and you can only redeem your points at the Shop Your Way site and the program’s various redemption partners. There are plenty of redemption options, but you’ll be missing some of the redemption options common on standard rewards cards, like travel and loyalty program transfers.
A few odd oversights for the card: this card offers the same deferred-interest financing offers as the Sears Credit Card. These are far riskier than the 0% intro APR offers you’d find on a standard rewards card. The card’s welcome offer is also fairly weak compared to the rewards rate. Nonetheless, if you’re familiar with the Shop Your Way program and like the idea of earning rewards to redeem on participating stores, the Shop Your Way Mastercard® could serve you well. However, the lack of intro APR and high ongoing APR keep this card from taking the main spot in your wallet.
How to apply for the Shop Your Way Mastercard®
You can apply for the Shop Your Way Mastercard® by doing the following.
- Go to Sears.com.
- At the top menu bar, highlight Credit card and click on Apply now from the drop-down menu.
- Under the Shop Your Way Mastercard®, click on Apply & use today.
- Fill out your requested information and click submit.
Shop Your Way Mastercard® benefits
- Earn Shop Your Way Points. You’ll earn 5% back in points on eligible gas purchases and 3% back on eligible grocery store and restaurant purchases on up to $10,000 total in purchases each year, reverting to 1% back after. You’ll also earn 2% back at Sears and Kmart and 1% back on everything else. Your points expire 12 months after earned and you can only redeem them through the Shop Your Way program.
- Welcome offer. You can earn a $40 statement credit when you spend $50 or more on purchases in your first 30 days of account opening. This offer is valid on new accounts from 1/31/2021 through 1/29/2022 and only if you were approved through an online application.
- Monthly offers. Each month cardholders will receive special offers you can redeem in-store at Sears or Kmart.
- Special financing offers. On select items you may receive an opportunity for deferred interest financing for up to 12 months.
Shop Your Way Mastercard® drawbacks
- High APR. The base APR of this card is 25.24% variable. This is quite a bit higher than the average APR of 16% and makes the card a poor choice for carrying a balance.
- Financing option is deferred interest. Deferred interest means that if you miss a monthly payment or fail to pay off your purchase, you’ll be charged interest from the start of your purchase.
Compare store credit cards
Here are other similar store credit cards to compare to help you find the best card that fits your budget.
Shop Your Way Mastercard® reviews and complaints
Customer reviews of the Shop Your Way Mastercard® featured on Reddit commend the Shop Your Way program for the occasional excellent deals featured on the site. However, some users have expressed trepidation over how long Sears may remain in business.
Citi, the bank behind the Shop Your Way Mastercard®, is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau and currently sports an F rating from the bureau as of June 2021. The bank currently sports a 1.9 out of 5 customer rating on Trustpilot as of June 2021, with several complaints lodged at Citi’s customer service.
If you frequently shop at retailers included in the Shop Your Way program, the Shop Your Way Mastercard® can offer some strong gains to your Shop Your Way membership. The card’s integration with the Shop Your Way program however means this card works best as more of a niche, secondary rewards card for your wallet. If you’re looking for more of a general rewards card, take a look at our top picks.