Build an online storefront from the ground up with Shift4Shop’s feature-rich services.
- Payment processing. Accept payments from credit cards and digital wallets with integrated payment processing from Shift4 Payments.
- Merchant account. Receive a dedicated merchant account courtesy of Shift4 Payments when you opt in to Shift4’s payment processing.
- Online store builder. Select from hundreds of website themes and e-commerce integrations to customize your online store.
- Shopping cart. Customize your store’s checkout process with built-in SEO features and PCI-compliant shopping cart software.
- Order management. Track orders and print shipping labels from your customer management dashboard.
- Inventory management. Manage online store inventory with bulk import and export tools, stock counts and product reports.
- Marketing software. Build a free blog, advertise on social media, integrate with Google Shopping and launch targeted email campaigns.
- Mobile e-commerce. Extend your reach with mobile-ready themes equipped with Google AMP, AJAX coding and Shift4Shop’s online store management integration.
Shift4Shop’s pricing and fees
Shift4Shop service tiers run from $29 to $229 monthly — although it does offer its End-to-End plan free of charge if you opt in to its in-house payment processing. If you’d prefer to use a third-party processor, you’ll need to select one of its paid tiers of service.
If you’re just starting in e-commerce or plan on running a small- to medium-sized store, look into the Basic plan. If you’re looking for more features, the Plus or Pro plans might be a better fit.
Each plan offers:
- Unlimited products and bandwidth
- API and FTP access
- Real-time shipping
- Inventory management
- Bulk quantity discounts
- Sales reports and dashboards
- Product reviews
- SEO tools
- Gift certificates, coupons and discounts
- Mobile store
- Facebook and Google Shop integration
- 24/7 tech support
- More than 100 payment gateways
- No setup fees
For a detailed breakdown of features, select the plan you’re interested in.
Is Shift4’s payment processing worth it?
Shift4’s processing rate of 2.9% + $0.30 is fairly competitive — at least among the other big names in the e-commerce space. In fact, it’s the same rate charged by platforms like BigCommerce, Shopify and Wix. And considering you can tap into Shift4Shop’s comprehensive End-to-End plan for free by opting in to Shift4 Payment’s processing service, it may not be a bad deal.
That said, read the fine print before you sign up. While the rep we spoke to assured us that no contract is required to use Shift4 as your payment processor, its BBB page is rife with complaints of contracts and termination fees, with some contract complaints as recent as September 2020.
Shift4Shop offers secure hosting with Cloudflare integration and unlimited disk space for products and images. Data is backed up daily, and there’s nothing to install — all you need is an Internet connection.
Shift4Shop’s themes are mobile-ready and don’t require programming knowledge. In fact, the Shift4Shop rep we spoke with suggested most merchants can get their store up and running in a few days. Should you get stuck, you can download a free Building an Online Store ebook from Shift4Shop’s website or hire an e-commerce website designer from Shift4Shop’s expert forum.
Reach Shift4Shop support by:
- Email. Send an email to sales@Shift4Shop.com for a response within one business day.
- Live chat. Live chat support is available on Shift4Shop’s website 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Shift4Shop offers access to a comprehensive library of over 100 free themes to choose from. Themes are grouped by industry, so you can start building your website quickly.
Pros and cons
- Feature-rich service. Even Shift4Shop’s Basic plan comes loaded with practical features.
- Hundreds of integrations. Shift4Shop offers flexibility and customization with the ability to integrate with hundreds of third-party software providers.
- Fully hosted. Enjoy secure Level 1 PCI hosting with no software downloads required.
- Transparent pricing. Shift4Shop’s website lists its service prices alongside what features you can expect to receive in each service tier.
- Third-party processing. While you’re welcome to opt in to Shift4Shop’s payment processing, you’re also free to use a third-party processor.
- No phone support. Shift4Shop doesn’t offer customer support by phone.
Shift4Shop reviews and complaints
Shift4Shop doesn’t have many reviews — yet. As of February 2021, it doesn’t have its own Better Business Bureau (BBB) page, but its parent company Shift4 Payments does. Shift4 Payments is an accredited business with the BBB with an A+ rating, but its customers only give it 1 out of 5 stars and it has 95 complaints. Merchants using Shift4 Payments report high fees and frustrating contract terms.
While knowing more about Shift4Shop’s parent company is helpful, it doesn’t shed much light on what merchants think of Shift4Shop’s platform. Shift4Shop has its own Trustpilot page but has yet to receive any reviews. 3dcart’s Trustpilot page is still live, and it earns a TrustScore of 3.4 out of 5 after 122 customer reviews. Customers praised 3dcart’s reasonably priced plans and feature-laden service but complained of disappointing tech support experiences, including long wait times and unknowledgeable staff.
The Shift4Shop signup process begins on its website.
- Select the plan you’d like to sign up for and hit Get Started.
- Enter your personal details, residential address and payment information.
- Review Shift4Shop’s Terms and Conditions and choose Get Started.
From here, you’ll enter the online store builder, where you’ll have access to all the tools you need to start creating your website.
Shift4Shop has almost every component of the processing equation covered, with one exception:
- Business checking account. Before you can process payments, you’ll need to connect a business checking account.
Shift4Shop — formerly 3dcart — is an e-commerce software provider headquartered in Tamarac, Florida. It was founded in 1997 and now services over 22,000 merchants across the US. It was acquired by payment processor Shift4 Payments in 2020 and rebranded as Shift4Shop: a platform with the ability to bundle payment processing with its suite of e-commerce services.
Its charity group, Shift4Shop Cares, supports local communities with grants, scholarships and discounted services. It also gives back to several charitable organizations, including Feeding South Florida and Women In Distress of Broward County.
Sort and compare merchant services providers by their products, monthly fees, processing fees or hosting. Or select the Go to site button for more information.
Shift4Shop is a solid platform for small businesses or merchants looking to start an online store. But it lacks phone support, which means you’ll need to rely on its live chat service if you run into a problem.
Head to Shift4Shop’s site if you’re ready to sign up, or compare other e-commerce platforms to find the right fit.
What are the contract details when signing up for Shift4Shop?
There are no contracts. Shift4Shop’s service is available month-to-month with no termination fees.
Who provides web hosting when I sign up for Shift4Shop?
Shift4Shop provides web hosting when you sign up for a plan. But it’s also possible to host a Shift4Shop store on your own website.