Quickly and easily send money overseas with Western Union.
Western Union is the world’s largest money transfer company. The service allows you to make quick and easy money transfers to more than 200 countries around the world, and it has been helping people to send money for over 135 years.
In Singapore, you can only lodge a transfer with Western Union in person at any Western Union agent locations, which includes all Singapore Post Office (SingPost) branches, or via SAM kiosks. While you’re restricted to transfers only during the various agents’ opening hours, transfers at SAM kiosks may be sent 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can send funds from your credit card, debit card, bank account or cash, to a bank account or a mobile phone. And if your recipient needs cash fast, Western Union has more than 515,000 agent locations around the world where the cash can be picked up.
You get a multitude of options with Western Union
Unlike many of the newer money transfer providers, Western Union does not operate solely online. That means your recipient can pick up the funds as cash in person. In addition, funds can be deposited into a bank account, sent to a mobile wallet or loaded onto a prepaid card. You also have many options for sending the money. Transfer money at any SAM, SingPost branches or Western Union agents.
- In-person transfers. Western Union has over 500,000 global locations, making it easy to send or receive money in person.
- Flexibility. Send or receive money almost any way you’d like.
- Exotic countries. Choose from over 200 countries in more than 135 currencies.
- Cash pickup. Your recipient can pick up the funds at an agent location in their country.
How much does it cost to transfer money with Western Union?
The fees for Western Union may vary depending on how much money you are sending and where you are sending it to. As Western Union Singapore does not have an online calculator, you can either download its mobile app, check at any SAM kiosk or visit your nearest agent location to receive a quotation.
At the time of writing (4 June 2018), all transfers initiated from the app are entitled to a flat SGD$2 transfer fee. Do note that the app only allows you to lock in the exchange rate, but you will still need to visit an agent location to complete your money transfer.
Compare Western Union to other money transfer providers
With more than 135 currencies available, Western Union lets you transfer funds to more than 200 countries. While no list of excluded countries can be found online, the company does not offer transfers to a few select countries such as Iran and North Korea.
How can you transfer with Western Union?
Unfortunately, Western Union in Singapore does not have a platform where you can facilitate the transfer online. Other than SAM kiosks, you will need to visit the nearest agent location to complete the transfer.
- SAM kiosks. There are 300 SAM kiosks islandwide. To use the SAM Kiosk for Western Union remittance services, you will need to register for a Western Union remittance account at any Post Office, where a SingPost Service Ambassador will assist and provide you with a My WU card.
- In-branch transfers. You can schedule a transfer by visiting your nearest Western Union agent – the company has over 515,000 agent locations worldwide. All Singapore Post offices also facilitate Western Union transfers.
- Mobile app. The mobile app serves more of an online calculator, providing you with the latest exchange rates and transfer fees. To initiate the transfer, you can lock in the rates and then head down to the nearest agent location to make the transfer.
What types of transfers can you carry out with Western Union?
Western Union offers a wide range of options when you want to send money overseas.
- Cash pick-up. Your recipient can pick up the funds by visiting a Western Union branch.
- To a bank account. Funds can be transferred straight into your recipient’s bank account.
- To a mobile phone. In select countries, Western Union allows you to deposit funds in a mobile wallet, which is an electronic account linked to the receiver’s mobile phone.
If you need help lodging a transfer, you can seek assistance by visiting a branch. Customer service is also available through an online FAQ section, via phone and through email.
The registration and transfer process
- Registration. You’ll need to register with Western Union in order to use its money transfer services. You can do this by visiting your nearest agent location, sign up via its website or mobile app.
- Identification. As part of the registration process, you’ll need to provide your NRIC, Singapore driver’s licence, passport or SAF 11B for identification purposes, so have these handy. You will also need to provide your residential address. You also need to be over 18 years of age.
- Make a transfer. Once your profile has been created, you can lodge transfers at any SAM kiosks, or in person at a SingPost office or agent location. You may also lock in a transfer on the mobile app and then visit an agent location to complete the transfer.
- Transfer complete. Though funds availability can be affected by factors such as agent location hours, funds are typically available for your recipient to pick up within minutes.
Pros and cons of using Western Union
- Currencies available. Western Union lets you transfer funds to more than 200 countries around the world.
- Money in minutes. In many cases, your recipient is able to access the funds within minutes.
- Low fees. Fees vary depending on the amount you are sending and where you are sending it to, but you’ll need to take them into consideration when deciding whether or not to use Western Union’s services. Currently, all transfers initiated from the Western Union mobile app will only incur a flat SGD$2 fee.
- Rates could be better. You’ll typically be able to find better exchange rates from some online money transfer companies.
- No online transfer services in Singapore. You have to visit a SAM kiosk, SingPost or an agent location to do a transfer.
Frequently asked questions about Western Union
How long do transfers take?
Subject to agent location hours, cash is available for pick up within minutes in many cases.
Is there an app available to conduct transfers?
Yes, Western Union has an app for iPhone and Android that allows you to track your fund transfers and lock in exchange rates. However, to conduct a fund transfer, you will need to visit a SAM kiosk or agent location.
Can I cancel my transfer?
This may be possible if the funds have not yet been picked up by the recipient. Please contact the Western Union Customer Service number at 6336 2000 for assistance.
How can I find out the status of my transfer?
You’ll be given a Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN) and can check on the progress of your transaction by clicking ‘Track Transfer’ on the company’s website or mobile app.
Western Union provides a viable option if you’re looking to send money overseas quickly. However, compare the rates and fees this company offers with those of other money transfer services to find the right service for you.
The largest money transfer company in the world, Western Union offers a fast and easy way to send money overseas. The company allows you to send funds to more than 200 countries around the world.
You may be interested in
Use these CurrencyFair promo codes to enjoy huge savings when you need a quick, easy and affordable way to send money overseas. Read more…
Find the best deal when you need to exchange foreign currency at a money changer in Tampines. Read more…
Find a favourable deal when you need to exchange foreign cash in Woodlands. Read more…