Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Wedding Loans in Singapore
You may choose a wedding loan to meet the cost of your big day.
Weddings are rarely cheap. From the dress and the venue to the catering and the wedding cars, your special day can cost you upwards of S$50,000. A big or lavish ceremony could set you back twice as much. If you don’t have that kind of money saved, you may be looking at other ways to finance your wedding.
Read on to discover the different loan options and how to find the right one for you.
Loans that you could use to finance your wedding
What are the different wedding loans and how do they work?
Couples looking for a way to finance their wedding have a few loan options to choose from. The option you choose will depend on your current financial circumstances, the way you want to use the loan, your outstanding debts and active credit accounts.
Here are three key options you may want to consider:
- Personal loan.
As the loan will be used to finance personal items, you may want to consider an unsecured loan. These loans place no restrictions on the way you use the amount, so you can use some of it to buy a dress, book a venue and even pay for some of the honeymoon expenses.
- Line of credit.
A line of credit may be an option if you are unsure whether you will need to borrow money. Lines of credit work by you setting up an overdraw limit on one of your active bank accounts, and from there you are able to access money up to and including that amount. You will be charged a set interest rate when you access the additional money, while you may also be charged fees to have this feature available to you. You can talk to your current lender to see if this option might be a good choice for your situation.
- Credit card.
If you already have a credit card with a competitive interest rate and find that it will offer better value than a loan, then you may want to consider using your credit card to make wedding-related purchases. If you are planning to put a few purchases on your card, you may want to consider a 0% p.a. instalment payment card. Find some of the best cards for wedding costs in Singapore.
Just remember to keep in mind the limitations of your card and whether this will be enough for your wedding expenditure.
- Bad credit personal loans
If you’re one of the many across Singapore who suffers from an impaired credit score, there is still hope for you to afford your dream wedding. You could be eligible for up to S$10,000 with a bad credit provider. There are some lending companies in Singapore that may look past a bad credit history and loan you money. While you may not get the whole S$10,000 you are looking for, it could be the difference between your dream wedding and a nightmare.
How you can compare wedding loans
- The features on offer. Some lenders offer features on a loan that can help you save money. For example, some may allow you to bundle a personal loan with other financial products to get a discount. Other lenders may have flexible repayment options, or if you opt for a credit card, you may be able to earn rewards points for your purchases. Take a look at some features offered by these lenders and see if any of them appeal to you. Read more on how personal loans work.
- Flexibility of the loan. The flexibility of this loan should suit the way you plan to use it. For example, you should check if you can repay the loan early, or if you will be able to extend the loan or opt for an ‘interest-only’ option if you are struggling to make your repayments.
- Repayment options. This is a feature that can help reduce the amount of interest you pay on your loan. Some lenders may let you make additional repayments, but they may charge you to be able to do this. This can offset any benefit you get from making the extra repayments, so check the associated fees before you apply.
3 key questions to consider before you take out a wedding loan
Before applying for a wedding loan, it’s crucial to understand the financial commitment required for servicing the borrowed amount. You and your future partner should sit down and discuss your financial situations beforehand. Below are some of the questions you should be discussing.
What are the fees that I’ll be charged?
When you look at the fees for a loan, you should remember to check the upfront fees as well as ongoing charges. Upfront fees cover the cost of setting up the loan, for example, establishment fees, and ongoing fees can include monthly account-keeping fees or amounts you will be charged for using some of the features of the wedding loan, such as making additional repayments. You should also be aware of late fees and any fees which may apply for paying back the loan amount early.
What interest rate am I being offered?
When looking at the rate offered by the lender, make sure to check if the lender offers an introductory rate that can help you save money in the first stages of the loan.
Are the wedding loan amount and terms affordable for us both?
You need to ensure that the amount you want to borrow and the length of time you want to borrow it for is offered by the lender. You can check the minimum and maximum loan amounts each lender offers and see if they suit your needs.
Other financial obligations to consider for your wedding
Whether you’re having a small ceremony or an all-out extravaganza for your big day, there is always going to be a range of items and services you may need finance for.
Consider the expenses below:
- Engagement party invites
- Engagement party venue
- Engagement party food and drinks
- Hens/bucks party and bridal showers
- Wedding invites and thank you gifts
- Wedding dress and accessories
- Bridesmaids dresses and accessories
- Groom/groomsmen suits and accessories
- Flower girls, ushers and pageboys
- Wedding location/church and marriage celebrant
- Reception location, catering and decorations
- Photography and videography costs
- Entertainment considerations
- Makeup, hair facials for bride and bridal party
- Transport to and from wedding
- First-night hotel stay
How to apply
To apply for a wedding loan in Singapore you will generally need to be over the age of 21 years, be a permanent Singapore resident and have a good credit rating.
When you apply, you will need to provide the following:
- Personal details including your name, age, and proof of your identity
- Financial details including your assets, debts and liabilities
- Employment details including your income and the name and contact details of your employer
Compare your options above in the comparison table to ensure you’re applying for a loan that’s competitive and affordable for your budget.
More guides on Finder
How to buy Robinhood stock from Singapore
Robinhood is expected to go public, here’s what you need to know if you’re looking to buy in from Singapore.
How long does it take to get a personal loan?
Find out what affects the turnaround time of a personal loan and get tips on how to speed up the process.
7 tips to avoid being rejected for a personal loan
Find out some of the common reasons people have their personal loans rejected, and how you can get the best chance of approval.
Collateral loans: what counts as collateral?
Find out the main types of assets that can be used as collateral for personal loans, car loans and business loans.
DBS Personal Loan Review
Repay your personal loan over a period of up to five years with DBS.
Education Loans in Singapore (2021)
Find out the options you have to help meet the cost of your higher education.
Personal Loans for Foreigners in Singapore (2021)
Compare loans you could qualify for as a foreigner and learn how to apply without hassle.
Best credit card travel promotions in Singapore
Signing up for a credit card with travel promotions can help you save money on your next trip away.
Best credit cards for Grab rides
Learn how to save by using your credit card as you spend on Grab rides.
How to buy Roblox (RBLX) shares from Singapore
Everything we know about the Roblox IPO, plus information on how to buy in.